December 19th, 2009
  1. Al Tracy

How about when McCain told Sen. Byrd no for more time.

December 19, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  2. frank stone

McCain did the same thing that Franken did during the Iraq war debate. Pot calling the kettle black??

The PRESIDING OFFICER. The Senator’s time has expired.

Mr. DAYTON. I ask for unanimous consent that I have 30 seconds more to finish my remarks.

Mr. McCAIN. I object.

December 19, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. GOP

“In 1999, McCain refused to recuse himself when the Commerce Committee gave legislative oversight approval for mergers then before the Federal Communications Commission involving two communications companies that were Davis, Manafort & Freeman lobbying clients – COMSTAT Corp., a government-owned satellite company, and SBC communications, a Baby Bell phone company

December 19, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. Squigman

I'd vote for this man any day. Any person willing to stand up to the Republican steam roller, that ruined the country from 2000 to 2009, will always get my vote. Republicans = Hypocracy.

December 19, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  5. GOP

But another offense for which McCain should be in prison is the fact McCain helped criminally loot the S&Ls of 100’s of billions of dollars for himself and 4 other U.S. Senators (Charles Keating 5) as well as his buddy, former US Senator Jake Garn, who knowingly legalized the looting with the Garn-St.Germain law. McCain should be in prison today for this and the public should be reminded of it. McCain in effect has solicited bribes to wield his influence in these scandals.

December 19, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. RickM

Mr. Franken has yet to learn that the US Senate doesn't follow SNL rules in its governance. What a putz!

December 19, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. Steve

While technically Sen. Franken had the authority as presiding officer to deny Sen. Lieberman an extra minute or two; the Senate even more than the House stands for courtesy and past practices; such as allowing members extra time to finish a point of thought or a statement. Its no secret that Sen. Franken has a prevailing attitude that is arrogant and self serving at times and should keep in mind he has a lot to learn yet.

Its in bad taste and the public is fed up with everyone's attitude vs. doing what the people want done for their best interests.

December 19, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  8. Tim

All you folks will get what you vote for. I can only say is that I will protect myself and my family as much as possible from government intrusion because all my life I have worked hard (Liberal speak=been privileged), sacrificed of my time (Liberal speak=been privileged), earned a good living for my time and effort (Liberal speak=been evil and made too much money). So at least I have the resources such that I can stop being so evil and stop making so much money and let all the other people who are less advantaged make more money. The only problem is that I spent 38 years getting two doctorates, spending countless sleeples nights working to do my job.

Good luck America because it looks like we have finally screwed ourselves royally and there is no turning back.

Signed an evil minority small business owner

December 19, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  9. GOP

McCain and former Senator Jake Garn also directly conspired against American MIA/POWs (in North Korean, China, Russia, Laos, North Vietnam) and their families from 1988 to 1992. McCain intentionally used his position as a Senator on the Senate Armed Services Committee to stymie investigations and to block information going to the public about known POWs that were intentionally but falsely listed as MIAs to hide what was known about them and to avoid accountability for not trying to recover them.

December 19, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  10. louise

Thank you AL FRANKEN!!!! Love you freshmen members, you want to serve the people and follow the rules. John McCain has a short memory as does Lieberman who supported a buyin for years until the insurance lobbists paid him off. Please continue to be an honest broker for the people that elected you. GOP are nothing but obstructionists, 98 filibusters this year alone, GO DEMOCRATS

December 19, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  11. g thomasin

yay for Franken! someone need to shut Lieberman up!

December 19, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  12. Emilio

Senator droopy has been waiting for the grand occasion when he can could stick it to the Democratic Party for being snubbed by his own Connecticut Democrats. He appears to be one of the worst enemy of the working class, and is either acting out of his own narrow self-interest or he is playing the bad cop for the White House.

December 19, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. Frank

How silly. As a Connecticut voter, I can say that everyone I know thinks Joe Lieberman is a traitor to his party and a complete disaster for his constituents. Every action he has taken lately selfishly (this after campaigning for John McCain) hurts the people of Connecticut. Does he think the President or his party will have warm feelings about Groton CT sub-building contracts, federal grants for rail and road infrastructure, and education to CT? If he loses his committee chairs, which he should, the citizens of this state will suffer a loss of influence (except for Big Insurance, of course!) of historic dimensions. A true egotistical and selfish man. He should try reading On Representative Government again.

December 19, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  14. GOP

The article, "Influence peddling claims dog McCain, describes McCain’s criminal corruption while on the Senate Commerce Committee for which McCain should have been removed from office and prosecuted. During the time this was going on, McCain was receiving large contributions to his Reform Institute from socialists George Soros and Teresa Kerry.

December 19, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  15. jon,philadelphia

Lieberman needs to be shut down. Hail to you Al Franken for trying to silence the poisonous Lieberman.

December 19, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. Karl in Charleston,SC

"I was just following orders." Where have we heard that before,Mr. Franken?

December 19, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  17. Karl in Charleston,SC

"I was just following orders." Eh Mr. Franken?

December 19, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  18. Arizona Huey

I have always been a huge Al Franken fan when he was an actor/comedian and now, I am a massive supporter of him for this!!! I am so sick of watching the republican party of no members do NOTHING to help this country improve. They are all acting like a bunch of little rich spoiled 10 year old brats throwing a tantrum because mommy wouldn't buy them a lollipop at the store. We are the richest nation on the planet and we have the worst medical care for our citizens of all advanced nations. It is a horrid position for them to sit on their hypocritical behinds and keep this current broken down system in place. They could have been a part of the process and done the right thing for this country but instead, they decided to do everything they could to derail it. They will pay for this in the next set of elections!!!

December 19, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  19. Jdizzle

I approve of this as a citizen of MN. The senate and house needs to "get down to business". Sometimes long drawn out eloquence is just overkill. Think about when you present a business case to a CEO of a major corporation. You have usually a fixed amount of time to make your point and case and move on. This should not be treated much differently. Legislation holds all the details...not the long drawn out and sometimes laughable speeches.

December 19, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  20. Tom

I LOVE Al Franken. It's about time somebody showed Leiberman there is a price to his betrayal of the party and, more important, the American people who are in need of health care reform.

December 19, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  21. Bob

It must be tough to have centrist dems not bow to the almighty and seriously flawed legislation. Please.. Everyone.. ask yourself how is this getting paid for? really.. how???

December 19, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  22. Edward Ayres

Senators have been enjoying their "comity" while selling us out for too long. I'm proud of what Al Franken is doing. It's about time somebody called out these windbags. He was polite and following the instructions of his leadership. Go Al!

December 19, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  23. Emilio

I for one have stop criticizing the Repuglicon jokers in our pretend government. They provide comic relief for some of our more forgiving citizens, but within me is welling up an hatred for each and every one of those lying corporate shills parading themselves as our "leaders." The Democrats should be on notice that their antics too are being watched by the helpless members of our society, and there will be a day of atonement. The next time they ask for my vote I'll sure let them have something other than that which they seek. This President, by his spineless behavior, has turned me from a supporter to an opposer of the Democratic Party.

December 19, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  24. joe m

little men with a little power. too bad that their little power affects all of us in such big ways. all these jokers need to be put on barge and set adrift out to sea.

December 19, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. Mike in San Antonio

Franekn wasn't funny on SNL, he's even less so now.

December 19, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |