December 19th, 2009
  1. Proud to be a Republican

Bring on the death panels for the seniors....hussein wants old people dead so he can insure the illegals...

December 19, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  2. Gary's Christmas comments

This is not progress, this is corruption. Earmarks, entitlements and taxes...this healthcare bill will increase costs, worsen the deficit and make our healthcare worse. It makes me sick thinking about it. The Democrats make me sick.

December 19, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  3. Party Purity will never bring Political Power!

If this bill does pass you Dems better get some 'nads in conference, because even this progressive does not like this bill for several reasons.

Without a public option, you cannot have a mandate that most Americans must have insurance without an affordable alternative. Most folks would buy health insurance IF they could afford it.

Also, making it illegal for insurance companies to deny pre-existing without a public option to compete, the insurance companies will only boost the premiums so high that the pre-existing condition could be covered but only if your a millionaire. Of course, the insurance companies would point out they are in compliance with the new law.

I am not for government determining how much profit a private corporation can make IF there is no taxpayer money invested in the corporation.

If the House version or the public option or some compromise is not in the final bill, then the mandate and the profit curb should be dropped from the final bill.

December 19, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  4. Roxanne Auge

I am retired and, thanks to negotiations by my union, I have good health insurance coverage; however, because people I love do not have health care coverage, I would be willing to buy into a public option insurance pool that would cover those who can not afford insurance. My daughter got her Master's Degree in May of 2009 and has been LOOKING for a job ever since. Finally, out of desperation, she began a very small business of her own, but is still looking for a job that provides benefits. My older sister runs a day care and is unable to afford health insurance. Because of their own financial problems some of her parents are not always able to pay. She had cancer two years ago and had it not been for the University of Washington's cancer treatment program, she would probably be dead. My other sister recently had her health care benefits slashed by the company she works for – they still pay her health insurance, but, because they have to cut costs, will no longer cover her 13 and 15 year old children, which amounts to a $900 pay cut for her. Everyone knows someone who can not afford health insurance and I could recite more; however, if those who can afford it, opt in to a public option insurance pool, the economies of scale would make insurance more affordable for all. This is social responsibility in action and what taking control of our lives is about.

December 19, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  5. Ron Wagner

All I hear is more people are afraid of the new health care plan than for. A little common sense should tell eveyone that many more people have health insurance than not. Don't you think that those with are afraid of what it might do to them, do you really think they care about all of those people without. I happen to know all about it. I just had open heart surgery 6 weeks ago. Had my problem for 4 years and no insurance. At 60 years old lost my business and everything I worked for my whole life and almost my life. I understand how everyone feels but something needs to happen here. I got lucky. By the way no bailout for me or my wife. We have one man I THINK fighting for what is right and the rest of these politicians who have not a lick of common sense or are the new mafia looking out for themselves and there rich friends.

December 19, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  6. gary davis Harbor Oregon

what a great christmas present it will be to pass a health care bill for america . with out republican support and then the republicans can be voted out of office as public servants .. maybe they can all get on a bus to south america

December 19, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  7. Ready for 2012

'Health care bill progress"????? more like progress towards a train wreck.

December 19, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  8. D. Tree

More evidence if you want to get things fixed in this country, you need Democrats to do the hard work and get it done.

December 19, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  9. ED

Republicans are smug as bugs cause they have their healthcare coverage. Don't expect Republicans to accomplish anything.....they're worthless.

December 19, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. Alice

If you wnat anything accomplished you'd better have a Democrat around. Republicans have become worthless.

December 19, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. Lexie30

I'm sure most Republicans will be attending Christmas parties full of "holiday cheer". Why worry about the common folk?

December 19, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |