December 19th, 2009
11 months ago

President Obama: Health bill will significantly reduce deficit

Washington (CNN) – President Barack Obama said the health care reform bill now in the Senate would be the largest deficit-reduction measure in a decade.

According to the Congressional Budget Office, it will offer a decrease of $132 billion over the first decade, and more than $1 trillion in the 10 years after that.

Filed under: Health care • President Obama
  1. Beasley

Sure, it's going to cut benefits to millions of Medicare recipients, and raise taxes and fees on working people and companies. How could it not "cut the deficit?"

Don't worry, the Democrats will see all those "cost savings" and "revenue enhancements," and decide to spend them on more entitlements for their own "core constituency."

December 19, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  2. Ray R

"President Obama: Health bill will significantly reduce deficit". Another example of the crap coming out of Washington. If anyone can show me how spending trillions of taxpayer dollars can reduce the deficit, I will personally walk them to the 'house of the Lord' for an audience with God.

December 19, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  3. Gerry NH

Well it looks like the president is lying again. Instead of passing the health bill they should be locking up Reid and Pelosi on bribery charges.

This bill will ruin medicare. They will take out $500 billion and put more people into it and we are suppose to believe that we will equal or better health care.

We need to get rid of the democrat senator from New Hampshire she doesn't what the people tell her she just does what she is told.

December 19, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  4. Gary

It does not matter how good this bill is for the average american or the economy, the gop will slam this bill none stop, the press will only report the negative and the american people, to stupid to realize that this is only the first step and a very good first step will whine and whine until all is lost. You should all be ashamed of yourselves and we are glad that we are not american.

December 19, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  5. Jeanne

What a joke. There is no savings only cost and tax increases.

December 19, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. Wilson

President Obama, you are a liar.

The only way it will reduce the deficit is by restricting access to health care.

December 19, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  7. Cameron

Who cares about the facts? This bill will bankrupt America!

/sarcasm

December 19, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  8. D. Tree

On the other hand, if we do what the obstructionists and GOP want by stopping Healthcare Reform, our deficit will continue to explode, and within 10 years every American will be paying over 30% of their income to healthcare.

December 19, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  9. Beverly Witt

The President has no idea about what Americans want with regard to healthcare. We do not want what what the Democrats are passing. Free enterprise is what this country was built on and it should remain the same. We are not a socialistic country but Pelosi and Reid are trying very hard to please the President's agenda of socialism. The deficit and unemployed Americans are much more in need of addressing. I am a registered Democrat but not for long. Just until after the midterm elections. I want to vote the bums out.

Beverly Witt
    Unemployed Accountant

December 19, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  10. Precious

So, does this mean that I will have to pay higher taxes NOW in order to get healthcare in 2013. Also, before I can get healthcare coverage, will I have to vote for it in 2010 and 2012? If the passage of healthcare passes in 2009, how many people will now die before it takes effect in 2013? I have heard throughout this heathcare debate that if we don't pass heathcare NOW that millions of people are dying each year and more people will die, so I guess then in the next three years, billions more will have to die in order to reduce the deficit before the additional 30+ millions can get help. I heard that America will go bankrupt if we don't pass healthcare NOW, so what will happen in the next three years before healthcare becomes law. How do we now stop America from becoming bankrupt in 2010, 2011 and 2012? I guess only the majority in Congress, the Senate and the White House have the answer, because they have remade America in 2009!!!!

December 19, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  11. We're screwed

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! Just like the bailout has worked.

He actually expects people to believe this! Oh wait, judging by all of the sheep I see reading this, I guess the brainwashing has already worked quite well for him so far.

It would be funny if it wasn't to tragic.

December 19, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  12. HandsOffMyHealthcare

He solved the global warming problem in Copenhagen (God heard him lol).... hence the snowstorms in the US. Now he and Nancy "Put a bag on my head" Pelosi can come back and "fix" our healthcare.

Funny how the liberal-fascist elite renamed it "climate change" since the planet is actually getting cooler.... whatever it takes to keep their hand firmly in your pocket.

Way to go Dems.

December 19, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  13. Pat F

Wow, an outright lie!

December 19, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  14. MVDCT

Yea, right and the tooth fairy exists also....

December 19, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  15. unemployed by Obama and now a TPN member

and we are supose to believe the lieing traitor obama who has sold our country to China and the muslims, who also deals with terroist as he makes America LESS safe.

December 19, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  16. German,Irish American

And the lies from this hatefilled President just keep on coming. When is ANY news organization going to start asking him tough questions? Why must we pass this socialist bill that NO ONE has read in three days so we can start an immediate tax for insurance that won't kick in for four years? How is it going to help Medicare when Obama is going to steal 500 billion from that program? This President and his Democrat party of hate, have completely ignored the constitution, as is now governing through dictatorship methods.

December 19, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  17. Ken, Arizona

Watch the repubs attack this. Funny how they embrace the CBO when they report numbers that support the repub's arguments but blast the CBO when their numbers support the Dems. Just sayin.

December 19, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  18. Chris Matt

We can accomplish anything if we put our minds to it.

December 19, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  19. gary davis Harbor Oregon

you make me proud to be an american just like you :)

December 19, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  20. Terry from West Texas

So here we have some fiscal responsibilty. The President and the Democrats are making an effort to keep the health bill deficit neutral. Republican presidents have not made such an effort since Richard Nixon, whose budgets were pretty sound.

Conservatives don't seem to remember that the federal deficit was $1.5 trillion when Carter left, $3 trillion when Reagan left office, $4.5 trillion when Bush (the good one) left office, $5.75 trillion when Clinton left office (and shrinking), and $11 trillion when Bush (the other one) left office. Since Carter left office, the deficit has grown from $1.5 trillion to over $11 trillion – an increase of $9.5 trillion or 730%. Conservative administrations are responsible for $8 trillion of that.

It should be obvious to everyone that the imaginary boost that Conservative tax cuts gave to the economy was really the effect of pumping $9.5 trillion in borrowed money into the economy.

Our Conservative leaders are leading us down the garden path.

December 19, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  21. unemployed by Obama and now a TPN member

I take back all the good things I said about B. Nelson, now I truely uinderstand that he is the same as the rest of the traitor back stabbing democrates in the current administrtation and congress. You will loose in 2010 and obama will only go one term as a wanna be leader.

December 19, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  22. jj123

I hope this is the case but I really doubt it.

December 19, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  23. Sniffit

call me crazy, but i think this guy is nuts,

if he had a clue, he would just keep his mouth shut about anything deficit related........he has helped put us there

but he will just blame bush or some other lame smegro cop out thing

no accountability......just watch

the had to buy (VT $10 billion for community centers) to get sanders to vote on it

shumcks.........

December 19, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  24. JT the Show Me State College Freshman

In my own personal view, I believe that we need heathcare reform; our healthcare system right now is not sustainable. I know this because my mom has been a nurse for over 25 years now, and my family has to deal with the insurance companies all the time. While our insurance company does give us good coverage, the people that work at the insurance company I am covered on are unpleasant people to put it nicely. The morarly right thing thing to do in my opinion, is to give everyone a chance in having a choice in their healthcare. I think this way because the definition of Capitalism is an economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately or corporately owned and development is proportionate to the accumulation and reinvestment of profits gained in a free market. If more individuals are given free choice between two competitors, that means more people will be put into the market. The more people in the market system, the stronger our economy will be in the future. In conclusion, I think that something done is better than nothing done. If you ask any business expert, they will say that competition will make a company much stronger and efficent over time, so if there is more competition in our healthcare, the private insurance will become a lot more efficient and productive.

December 19, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  25. Robert of Washington

I will start by saying I have been and voted democrat since college. I will also say that I seriously question continuing with the inevitable passage of the health care bill. Will everyone will have health insurance, thousands will no longer have any health care, I for one.

I was one of the so called uninsured. I did have insurance until my wife came down with cancer two years ago. However, what insurance didn't cover, and the insistence of immediate payoff by the health care industry have left us so swamped in debt that we dropped our insurance to meet the payments of her cancer treatment and associated bills.

Now with mandatory insurance payment requirements, we face certain bankruptcy. To add to that, we make too much for the state insurance program, so are at the mercy of the private insurers. In checking with the insurance carriers, they ALL pointed out that the preliminary information that they have says they cannot deny us coverage from my wife's cancer, BUT it does not restrict them on the amount they can charge us for the known preexisting condition. Everyone of them quoted estimates based on known information from the Obama Healthcare Program that is approximately 65% – 70% of our annual before tax income.

No we are not wealth. Actually at the beginning level of middle-income. And to add to that, the hit we have taken by reduced income from the recession.

Thanks for ruining our life Mr. Obama. I wish I could take back my vote. And you Republicans out there don't sit so smug! I blame your party for the recession through corporate greed!!!

A Very Angry American