December 21st, 2009
9 months ago

McCain not offended Palin blacked out his name

McCain says he's not offended his former running mate blacked out his name for her visor.

(CNN) - Arizona Sen. John McCain said the recent flap over Sarah Palin's decision to black out his name from a campaign visor while she was vacationing in Hawaii is much ado about nothing.

"Oh, it's fine. Sarah said she wanted to be a little bit incognito," McCain said when asked about the incident on "Fox News Sunday. "I don't blame her. I understand that."

The controversy arose after photos of a vacationing Palin showed the former Republican vice presidential candidate relaxing on a Hawaii beach wearing a McCain campaign visor on which she had clearly blacked out the Arizona senator's name with a marker.

The Web site TMZ declared the blacked-out visor amounted to a "frontal attack on Sen. John McCain," but Palin later said she was merely trying to "be incognito" in an effort to get a little rest and relaxation after her nearly month-long book tour.

"I adore John McCain, support him 100 percent and will do everything I can to support his reelection," Palin told the Web site Politico when questioned about the hat. "As everyone knows, I was honored and proud to run with him."

Speaking on "Fox News Sunday," McCain said he is taking Palin at her word.

Can't you take her at her word? It's - Sarah and I and Todd, Cindy - we have a wonderful relationship. We're dear friends," he said. "She is a - going to be a force in the Republican Party for a longtime. And the hysterical attacks on her from the left continue to validate that. "

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. I. Chowdhury

Clearly Ms. Palin is looking for attention! She could have spent a couple of dollars on a new hat/ visor but instead she decided to take a marker and black out McCain's name. Give me a break, what is she, 5 years old. She continues to prove what an idiot she is!

December 21, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  2. Duck Fallas

Leave Sarah alone. She never attacks anybody.

December 21, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  3. Island girl

LOL! Recession frugality? Methinks not! Sarah Palin could have simply bought another visor for this occasion. They can be as cheap as $2.00 or maybe even less at dollar stores.

December 21, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  4. Rich from Milwaukee

Of course John McCain's not offended. And Sarah Palin did not intend to poke him in the eye by blacking out his name on her visor. These people lie because it's more natural toi them than telling the truth..

December 21, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  5. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert but..

Is this the same John McCain who, just about a year ago, proposed healthcare reform paid for by $1.3 trillion in cuts to medicare and medicaid over the next decade? I guess when you're getting up there in years, the old memory ain't what it used to be. As for Sarah, whatever. Bashing her is getting old. It's just too easy. Those who believe she could ever be a viable candidate for national office are clearly delusional. Have a nice day!

December 21, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  6. GOODGREIF

Seriously......who cares! With everything else going on.....why don't you spend more time researching what is actually in the Healthcare bill.

December 21, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  7. Bob Dog

Its fantastic entertainment to see Ms. Palin totally humiliate John McCain, then see him forced to deny the humiliation .... in order to look less humiliated!

Since it was Mr. McCain's stupidity that unleased the Palin-osaurous onto America, its just doesn't get better than this to see her throw egg in his face!!!

Palin in 2012!! Vote Palin! Lets watch her rip huge chunks of flesh off her own party!!! Go Sarah!

December 21, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  8. mlm

I'm sorry – she either intentionally blacked out his name or is just plain stupid. She just finished a book tour, making a lot of money. She's vacationing in Hawaii. You're telling me she can't spend 10 bucks on a plain hat. The only hat she could find is a campaign hat. Trust me – this was not an accident – she's making a statement. She's self-serving, and if she had not been picked by McCain last year, nobody would know or care who she is.

December 21, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  9. JonDie

CNN's poster child Sarah Palin has pretty much been on vacation for the last year. She doesn't actually have any job, you know. Paris Hilton does more work than Palin.

December 21, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  10. hereslauphinatcha

Go Palin. Walk all over him.

December 21, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  11. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He's trying to be nice. I think that he is somewhat upset since it is HIS NAME there on the visor, and it is blacked out. It seems as if she is somewhat upset by having been on the campaign.

December 21, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  12. simp

What else would he say. I bet he hates he introduced this nit wit palin to us and now she keeps making him and all these stupid republicians who thinks she somehow a breath of fresh look even dummer. What a hugh joke palin is she is a self centered idiot.

December 21, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  13. RichP the Pocono's

The more the progressive liberals attack her the more I favor her and I'm not even a republican. If they hate her that much she must be very very very good.

December 21, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  14. Nathan,

How could he be offended by anything she does. He is hte one who unleashed this virus on the rest of America. After all of his service to this country he will best remembered for bringing to prominence this wart on the Butt of America named Palin.

December 21, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  15. Tom

Really??
    Palin has no money to buy some cheap hat after being paid the big bucks for her useless book? You think that she is smart enough not to do that unless she was doing it on purpose.. Oh Wait!! I forgot She is the opposite of Smart.

December 21, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  16. Ed Tallahassee

I would label it mismanaging her public image then an attack at McCain. You'd think if you trying to go "incognito" that she would rather not wear any clothing with a political connotation. By blacking-out a cap or any garment would bring attention to it.

I think this is more showing the Palin doesn't have a grasp on her public image, and that she doesn't quite understand that she is a national pubic figure, and that if she wears anything it could become a news story.

December 21, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  17. Gale

I can't believe you people are intimidated by this lovely, smart, woman. Yet every time something is put on the ticker you lash out against her for the most trivial matter. Gosh, you must be scared!!

December 21, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  18. Tarheel

Sarah Palin truly is a Super Star. She can get the Liberal Media and the Democrats all lathered up over a visor. I'm setting here laughing just thinking about it. I bet a shirt or a pair of pants would give you so-called "educated" people a stroke.

December 21, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  19. evman

Two very sad people...

December 21, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  20. Aunt Bea and Opie

If you look closely at the photo,she just might be his daughter.Same IQ and same facial structure.Makes you wonder.hahaha

December 21, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  21. Raising Cain

Did it occur to anyone but me that, given the success of Mrs. Palin's book tour and other promotional gigs, and that she was in Hawaii, she could have, for less than $10, bought a new visor? That would be the first thing I would do if I wanted to blend in – get something touristy.

A visor with a marked out logo hardly seems the way to not bring attention to one's self.

This is another decision in an increasing pile of ones that call into question what the heck does this woman consider when saying or doing something? I wish her the best of luck in a future that can be rife with books, speeches, and no doubt television opportunities, but please, not one with any authority to sign a bill into law.

December 21, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  22. Johan

She says she wasn't trying to make a statement, but c'mon. With all the money she has now, she just couldnt have bought a new hat instead of defacing a McCain hat? Hell, I'm broke and even I could have swung that! She made a statement, and Sen. McCain is just trying to be polite and avoid opening old wounds.

December 21, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  23. George

I hope Arizona blacks out your name too John McCain.

December 21, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  24. Erik in Real Pennsylvania

As if Former Temorary Governor Sarah Palin couldn't use another visor. This move was a concerted choice intended to drum up attention. This woman is a menace to the Republican Party .

December 21, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  25. FM

McCain you are buried while you are still arrive. We are all aware, what was going on in Sarah's mind while blacking out your name on a campaign visor.

December 21, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |