December 22nd, 2009
11 months ago

Obama makes surprise phone call

President Obama surprised Gov. Kaine Tuesday morning.
President Obama surprised Gov. Kaine Tuesday morning.

Washington (CNN) - Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine got a holiday surprise Tuesday morning when a mysterious "Barry from D.C" called WTOP's call-in radio show to complain about traffic.

Turns out the call was coming from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and was none other than President Barack Obama.

"Well, uh Governor Kaine, this is actually the President of The United States calling," Obama said after being announced on the show as "Barry from D.C."

Kaine, seemingly taken by complete surprise responded with laughter saying, "No. Oh my gosh."

"I just wanted to say how proud we are of your service as governor of the Common Wealth of Virginia," Obama continued. "And just wish you and the family all the best this Christmas season after just a terrific round of service for the people of Virginia."

Kaine thanked the president for his warm wishes, and said in his four years as governor his happiest day was when Obama was elected president.

The two went on to joke about their wives being "superior" to them.

"You and me have to stick together since we're married to better people," Obama joked.

Kaine, who was named Chairman of the Democratic National Committee last January, will be succeeded as governor by Republican Bob McDonnell in January 2010.

Kaine said he looked forward to continuing to be "helpful."

Filed under: President Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. chubby

If "barry" was to call me I would tell him where he could go with his traffic complaints and hang up on him.

December 22, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  2. Kendall

Ahh The POTUS is enjoying the christmas spirit, bahh Hummbugg. I don't have job; and he does. He's going to be just fine and so are other people. But me: I'm going to hate this guy even when he leaves the WH in 2016. I wonder if I should go to college now. Nah then I'll be elitist; I'll just sit here and marinate in my self pity. BAH HUMMBUGG

December 22, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  3. Jayson

That part of this article is just too funny since he was obviously not doing good enough of a job to not lose the state to a Republican

December 22, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  4. midwest liberal

Pat F said, "Unbelievable – this guy is an attention junkie! Remember when the office of the presidency had dignity?"
    ~~~
    Why yes, I do remember when it had dignity. And it's actually nice to see it returning after an 8-year hiatus.

December 22, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  5. Independent Voter

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

God Bless President Obama, VP Biden, the First Families and "Bo"

December 22, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  6. Sniffit

"Remember when the office of the presidency had dignity?"

Hint: it wasn't the past 8 years prior to Obama.

December 22, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. UnChristian Self-Professed Christian

I love how my fellow Christians write the most unChristian things in here.

He doesn't agree with me... i hate him!

They don't share my religion... I hate them!

Well, Christ was so hated during his time... they cruxified him!

Maybe 2000 years from now, people will look at us Christians the same way we look at those Jews back then who hated, hated, hated everyone who didn't agree with them, and didn't share their beliefs.

But, well, that's just my very unChristian opinion.

December 22, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  8. Literati

Where do all of these bone heads come from? How many times do I see posts from idiots who observe that the president is or was doing something other than spending 24/7 working on (pick one) some major national problem. What do you do for a living? Do you do it 24/7? If so, do you believe yourself to be a mentally sound, reasonably balanced individual, with a healthy outlook on life?
    If you actually think that the standard you have set for your president makes any sense, then I do not.

December 22, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  9. Willie Kilpatrick

That's the great blessing of this nation, any idiot can post or say stupid things....I just don't understand how people can find the negative within any picture, conversation or action of our president....Yes, I do...Negative breeds negative....Its either jealousy, racism, or just plain stupidity...Keep bringing out the haters Obama, cause dogs don't bark at parked cars....Wonder what these idots ever accomplished in their lives....Wonder if they ever called Bush the liar-in-chief...The hyposcrisy of the American political system....You cried in 2009 and you all will be crying again in 2012, when he is re-elected...

December 22, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  10. Anni

You cannot recognize a joke? Come on neo-cons – have a sense of humor. Whoops, I forgot, you are too busy demonizing every move the President makes.

December 22, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  11. joe

you guys should laugh and lighten up....why so serious?

December 22, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  12. hereslauphinatcha

That was a cool thing the President did. He should call all of the Governors in the US and thank them all for their great service except for Palin who is no longer the Governor of Alaska.

December 22, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  13. A. Goodwin

Wow...so many of you have NO sense of humor what so ever. The man cannot make a 2 min. phone call without you bashing him. Get over yourselves!! 2008 is over, folks – you lost. FIND SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY OR DO!!!

December 22, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. D.

I'll kiss yours you'll kiss mine.... the Chicago way!

December 22, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  15. Emma

gt: You do not have a rallying cry from a lot of people to support your ugly criticism of our current Pres.

December 22, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  16. John in NY

Wow, It's amazing to me how venomous these comments are regarding the President. I don't really understand where they're coming from in terms of calling him a liar and such. What has he lied about? What has he not been working on? Have you people forgotten was the prior 8 years was like and what it left us with? Granted I am somebody who tends to be happy with my life and I tend to see the glass half-full, but come on, Obama has done more in this past year towards making this country better than Bush did in two terms. God bless the people in this country who have nothing better to do than hate on others. It's such a pity.

December 22, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. Steve (the real one)

Obama should be rounding up the war criminals that sent our kids off to die in Iraq
    ---------------------------
    Why stop with Iraq? Why not Afghanistan? Oh wait....he just authorized an additional 30,000 more Americans! to Afghanistan! Will he be rounding up himself as well? Or are you only after the GOP? Can you say blindly biased?

December 22, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. Birdia

To all of the tea baggers, and rightwing NUTS, the only thing you all want is for the president to fail. You think this country only belongs to you. Well here is a reality check it belongs to all Americans, Black, White, Hispanic, Indian, ect.... At least he's gotten futher with this health bill than any other president since the 30's. You tea baggers, and rightwing folk are suppose to be so religous, and into the Church, when you don't even like you neibhors,or other Americans at all.How can you all be like that and still think your going to heaven when you die. when George was in office, and all the wrong he did for this country you all thought it was right, now that you realize what bad shape were in you want to blame the President, he did'nt make this mess.

December 22, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  19. worriedmom

Kaine is the worst Governor Virginia has had. He was gone most of the time sucking up to Obamaland. Good riddance Gov Kaine. You sure did good for your Democrats in Virginia didn't you! Republicans back in control to clean up your mess.
    Also to Warner and Webb, you have lost my vote when you are up for election. Better start listening to the people of Va. . We thought you would be different, then again, so did a lot of people for Obama but he proved us right! No CHANGE just same ole Washington lies

December 22, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  20. arthur

That was simply nice. And I don't see why people can't leave politics aside for a little smile just for one second out of twenty four hours.

December 22, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  21. meh

What a bunch of miserable people you commenters are. Jeez. It took him, what, all of 1 minute to make the phone call? Get a life.
    I think it's funny.

December 22, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  22. Robin

In four more years, he still will be President and the rest of you will still be miserable. Go get a job because you have too much time on the computers. Oh, I forgot, you waiting on the President or rather the government to provide you with a job.

Stop buying from the people who is outsourcing your jobs and create your own jobs. Oh, I forgot, you are too ignorant for that!!!

December 22, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  23. Jay

To GT

You're whining that Obama is a joke? Yeah like the 8 years your boys Bush and Cheney did great for our country.

That's the problems with you Republicans (other than a lack of intelligence) that you dopes fail to really point blame everywhere else except yourselves.

Thank God that a guy like Obama came into office you moron. Would you rather that an idiot like Palin were a heartbeat away from the presidency? Oh you're a Republican and are probably too stupid to think how dangerous that really would have been.

Get an education you idiot.

December 22, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  24. antcam

So refreshing to have a President with a heart of gold...keep it up

December 22, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |