December 31st, 2009
3 months ago

President Obama's New Year's message to America

A New Year's message from President Obama was posted on the White House blog Thursday afternoon.

Washington (CNN) – In a video posted to the White House blog Thursday afternoon, President Obama wished Americans a happy New Year.

"This is always a hopeful time, as we celebrate the end of one year and the beginning of another," Obama said. "And while 2009 was difficult for many Americans, we must also look back on this year with the knowledge that brighter days are ahead of us – that although our challenges are great, each of us has the courage and determination to rise up and meet them."

The video was recorded in Washington on December 22, before the first family left to vacation in Hawaii.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Obama Mama

I have faith in my president and know he will continue to work hard in 2010. Just ask that the Lord bless and keep he and his family. A lot of evil out there. I think he will be fine. Keep up the good work

December 31, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. GI Joe

I love our new President.

He has worked more days than any president in the recent past, and he's fighting the Greedy Obstructionist Party.

Hang in there President Obama – we'll get you even MORE people in the Senate in 2010.

December 31, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  3. joe kiloz

Thanks for the thoughts Mr. Obama. I'm one of the many millions who make up the 17% unemployment stat. I'm not vacationing in Hawaii nor holding state dinners. When in the hell are you going to get it through your head that employment in the private sector should be way ahead of your health care nightmare ?

December 31, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  4. Ron

One wish he should have reiterated is the promise to keep government transparent and bi-partisan. I guess that is one wish that neither he, nor any of the U.S. citizens, can count on......

December 31, 2009 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  5. Dave

After the election it seems this administration believes the president major role is to be "speech reader in chief" and ignore all other duties and priorities, according to how we the people rate them. Forcing ideologies and ignoring duties are what we pay attention to. The president still has a chance to deliver actions that we care about, I think he has solid majority in congress and can work for the people if he just start concentrating on "the people" rather than wanting to be all to all groups (a real health care improvement which is not a tax plan, will be a good start). The tendency to have everyone agree with him and the attempt to keep political correctness hurts us on all fronts to a point of being dangerous. I wish the president a better year for 2010.

December 31, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  6. sherry

Happy New Year to our wonderful President....Thank you for doing a great job in turning America around....This next year will be even better.....I have full confidence that things will be better and you will make this a once again great nation

December 31, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  7. Michelle

Now, Republicans, please tell me what's wrong with our President saying "each of us has the courage and determination to rise up and meet 9the challenges)." Doesn't sound like big government is going to bail us out, not that liberals are even asking for that. America is made up of individuals, and those who succeed will work hard. Others,some by choice, will suffer, but the ones in the middle, who are suffering from lack of medical care, or lack of housing, or lack of a decent chance at an education, deserve our help and support. If we act like the Roman leaders and turn our backs on the poor, we will disappear, just as Rome did. In this new decade, I would hope that both parties work FOR the country, instead of for re-election. There will be some surprises in November, and my guess is the right won't like them.

December 31, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  8. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Because I have faith and belief that there is always a brighter future ahead for all Americans.

December 31, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  9. jules sand-perkins

Thank you, Mr. President.
    I am sure that every American, regardless of his political party, also wishes the President and his family the finest personal happiness and good fortune in the new year and in all those to come.

December 31, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  10. Rodmyr Plantin

The economy is stabilizing, health care reform on the verge of passing and we are focusing on job growth. I believe 2010 will be a good year for alot of Americans. Thanks to Barack Obama and his administration i'm very optimistic of the future of America. 2010 also the year the republicans hopefully lose more seats in the house and senate. Republicans are obstructionist to the progress of this country.

December 31, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  11. dan smith

Isn't much of a future for America if it continues down Obozo's road of tax, spend, and borrow our way into generational poverty. This will definately go down as the worst four years of any American Presidency, including Carter and Clinton's terms in office.

December 31, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  12. Old White Virginia Female

Thank you, Mr. President. I hope you and your family have a happy New Year, and I certainly hope that Congress does as well. You have had, I believe, a tremendous first year and I am looking forward to your continuing to make America a better place for all of us. I hope you can enjoy your vacation despite all of these horrific interruptions, and I do not envy the fray you are going to get into when you return home to try to get health care out the other end, but my prayers are with you and especially Nancy Pelosi as you work through these thorny issues. I am going onto Medicare tomorrow and that doughnut hole is looming very, very large for me. I know you will do something to remove the burden of paying 100% of prescription drug costs for people who are just trying to stay healthy.

December 31, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  13. Ronay Hunter-Bracey

Thank you Mr. President. I pray daily for you and the First Family. Many citizens believe in what you are trying to do. I'm proud of you.

December 31, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  14. J.C. - Independent 4 Public Option

Dear Mr. President:

I hope you had a good vacation in Hawaii.

Can you make sure not to enforce mandates on health insurance until at least one of the following three conditions is met?

1. It's made illegal for private health insurers to keep any profits from basic health insurance coverage;

2. A strong public option is made available to anyone that is not qualified for Medicaid;

3. A Medicare buy-in is made available to both 55-64 and 26-35 age groups.

Thank you and wish you and family a very Happy New Year!

December 31, 2009 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  15. Kajun

For Who? Big Government? After Bush, the candle of hope was dim, now Obama and our hot air congress have blown it out, there remains only darkness for those who are not in the Chicago politics circle.

December 31, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  16. Darlene

Thank you for being the stellar person that you are Mr. President. Keep your head up, God has your back and so do I, keep doing what you think is best for the American People. May God continue to bless you and your beautiful family.

December 31, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  17. Fitz in Texas

A Happy New Year for all of us will be if Obama resigns and takes his corrupt and crooked administration with him.

December 31, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  18. Cynthia - Arkansas

I am so proud of President Obama. He was handed nothing but a bunch of rotten lemons and he has tried to make the best lemonaide possible. He has worked tirelessly for the good of the American people and all the Republicans can do is finger point (mostly the middle one), whine, complain and lie. He is still standing despite all the the garbage being spewed daily on Fox Noise and still keeps a sense of humor.

I wish him and his beautiful family good health and the happiest of New Year's.

December 31, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  19. kr

Brighter are ARE ahead, in November 2010 when we vote the incumbents and liberal-control OUT of Congress!

December 31, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  20. aware

Yes, brighter days are ahead. We just need to survive Obama's one term in office! :(

December 31, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  21. TM in CO

Easy for someone who makes 400K a year and has all their bills paid for by the American taxpayer to say "Brighter days" are ahead. Tell that to all the families that have lost their homes and jobs and are now living in shelters..................................................

December 31, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  22. Henry Miller, Libertarian, Cary, NC

"This is always a hopeful time..."

Oh, yeah... we can only hope the American economy survives the rape and pillage being visited upon it by the Democrats. We can only hope that the American medical system survives its seizure by government.

"And while 2009 was difficult for many Americans..."

Especially taxpayers.

"...we must also look back on this year with the knowledge that brighter days are ahead of us..."

Yeah, starting in November 2010.

December 31, 2009 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |