January 1st, 2010

Bloomberg pledges to shake up city bureaucracy

ALT TEXT

Michel Bloomberg was sworn in Friday for a third term as mayor of New York City. (PHOTO CREDIT: Getty Images)

(CNN) – New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg was sworn in to a third term Friday afternoon, becoming only one of a handful of mayors in the city's history to serve more than two terms.

"This term is a special opportunity, one that comes with extraordinary responsibilities," said Bloomberg, a Democrat-turned-Republican-turned-Independent who successfully campaigned the city council to amend the mayoral term limit law in 2008.

His election last November was closer than expected, when he beat an underfunded challenger by just 5 points after spending more than a $100 million of his own money.

“I realize, too, that the building behind me is yours — and the job in front of me is to listen and to lead," Bloomberg also said as he took the oath of office in front of City Hall.

In the fifteen minute speech, Bloomberg pledged to shake up his administration by rotating his deputy commissioners to oversee different agencies for three weeks as a way to "break down the bureaucratic barriers that all too often impede innovation."

“This is not a game of musical chairs, this is a management challenge, and a unique opportunity for collaboration and innovation," said Bloomberg.

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. unemployed by Obama

oh sure, just like the Obama change.

January 1, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  2. morgan thomas

Sorry to hear that. He is anti gun. Don,t need that.

January 1, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  3. paul

I think Mayor Bloomberg has done a lot for NYC and with the absence of not having to worry about a new election now he can make that much more happen. No other mayor, besides Guiliani, has done more to transform NYC for the better. He does have to reverse what I feel is allowing over building in a city that has so much character to offer without the "TRUMPS" of the world building new skyscrapers but overall, he has done an amazing job.
    I wish him luck.

January 1, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  4. truthbetold

It is nice to see an array of ethnicities in power.

January 1, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  5. bill

Voters must break the cycle of people with obscene money and no regard for America as a whole. If we want not to lose the Vision of the great men who set up this system we must take a step back and rein in Corporate run government. This can't be done by keeping in the same familys that are still tied to the old monarchy we left to get out from under Priests, Kings, Queens, old blood and old money.
    If paying tons of money to people so we can have the best minds running our country, banks, business then it looks like it failed and the money is so much it only attracts crooks, liars, and very sick people.

January 1, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  6. Joe in PA

Nothing like buying your way into a post; made even more disturbing by the fact that he only changes his political affiliation in order to swing to the most popular demographic.

Yeah, Pittsburgh has its problems, but at least our mayoral candidates ran with some semblance of dignity.

January 1, 2010 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  7. CNN in the censoring buisness..shameful! He LIVES so ALL man can know peace and love!

As much as I like Bloomberg it disgust me that he considers this a valid term , third term, when in fact he bought ($) the right to run again by influencing 'change' of term limits.
    Thus, the message given is those with the bucks are making themselves the rule of order. What is so free about that? What is democratic about that? You would have held my citizen respect, and national creditiblity, if you had sat out the two years and then ran again. Sad .

January 1, 2010 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  8. D.D.

He did not touch The Book- interesting.

January 1, 2010 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  9. Karl in Charleston,SC

Sad day for NYC.

January 1, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  10. Anon

What a great idea. This is one of the simplest, and smartest ideas I have heard in a long time. It is a simple idea, that is done in business all of the time, and being how inefficient all levels of government in this country have become, it is a pleasure to see someone who was succesful in business try and bring some of that success to government while not being held in anyone's pocket due to campaign pledges. This man is frankly what this country needs: he is not a politician he is a statesman.

January 1, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  11. ATL Guy

Rotating management is a very good way to gain a peek behind the curtain. Any large city, federal agency, state govt can gain a lot from this exercise. It works in corporate America, it can work i purblic agencies.

January 1, 2010 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  12. Tony

Meh, whatever. Who gives a crap about New York City? They can waste every dime they take in on bureaucracy for all I care. I don't live there, can't think a reasonable scenario where I would.

January 1, 2010 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  13. Mike

He has had eight years to bring forth his best ideas. This is just government speak for "Gotcha, AGAIN suckers". Fix America dump incumbents and never support candidates who are lawyers.

January 1, 2010 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  14. Robert Derby

I have lived there for far too long.

He just buys his position.

January 1, 2010 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  15. D GARCIA

How is it that New Yorkers believe a money man is a leader or listener? Bloomberg is an arrogant fool who changes parties to get elected, not a characteristic of a leader or a listener, rather that of an autocrat or dictator. Good luck New York.

January 1, 2010 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  16. j

Sounds like a fiasco in the making.

January 1, 2010 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  17. GOPBslapper

So the guy who spent $100 million of his own money thinks he deserves a 3rd term? I'm pretty sure he's missed the whole point of how money is the MAIN problem in politics. Democrat, Republican or Independant, I think we can all agree that until either limits on spending or public funding for elections arrives, politics will always be a game of highest bidder wins.

January 1, 2010 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  18. paulc

He has had 2 terms...now he decides to get serious? Talk about a slow starter..

January 1, 2010 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  19. James C. Taliaferro, M.S., QMHP

Bloomberg seems to be excercising dictatorlike and monopolistic tendencies carried over from his fiscal prowess to his political machine. I disagreed with his comment on Plaxico Burress (if they did not prosecute to the fullest extent then the justice system would be a sham and a mockery..!) Well it was to me in this case because Burress was much more an asset to society outside of a cell than society paying for his cell. Burress was not a danger to himself or anyone else (because it was a mistake) although the piece was unregistered-he is a star athlete who valued his life And, he could do more positive things in the community as a free man with restrictions. Bloomberg is good with money but that one did not add up.

January 1, 2010 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  20. BigBureaucrat

Oooooh, I'm scared. Fill out a form, Bloomie.

January 1, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  21. Keith in Austin

I wish somebody could go to Washington right now and flush the political scum like; Pelosi, Reid, Dodd, Frank, Schumer and other liberal bureaucrats down the toilet.

The American people will overwhelmingly finish the job starting this November!

January 1, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  22. Carl Justus

A better method would be to bang some head together. I would tell them in no uncertain terms they would corporate with one another or I would fire them without hesitation.

January 1, 2010 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  23. Cliff

He is no more an "independent" than Pamela Anderson is an actress!

Just more of the typical NY slime politics with this guy. Spent $100M of
    his own money just to be mayor of NYC?? That should show people how bright this wacko really is.

I think it is time to send him to Florida.....God's waiting room!

January 1, 2010 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  24. Who cares about Bloomberg!

I CARE DEEPLY ABOUT MY COUNTRY - and THIS year was the worst ever. With Obama at the helm - I fees SO very depressed about the prospects for my beloved country.

NEVER, EVER - in my 60 years of voting have I felt this way!

Obama is a complete, total failure - and I am absolutely sickened by him.

January 1, 2010 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  25. Eric

$100 million to win re-election by 5 points.... Hmm, I wonder if we will offer anything like the same amount out of his personal funds to New Yorkers struggling to pay their mortgages, health care bills, food, transit fares.....? Yes the building behind you is yours; you bought it, now pay for it.

January 1, 2010 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |