January 1st, 2010

Bloomberg set to be sworn in

Bloomberg will be sworn in to a third term as mayor Friday.
Bloomberg will be sworn in to a third term as mayor Friday.

(CNN) – New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is set to be sworn in for an unprecedented third term Friday in what aides are calling a toned down affair.

The one-hour ceremony at City Hall Friday aternoon is expected to attract around 4,000 people, according to reports.

Bloomberg, a Democrat-turned-Republican-turned-Independent, successfully campaigned the city council to amend the mayoral term limit law in 2008, allowing him to run for a third term.

His election last November was closer than expected, when he beat an underfunded challenger by 5 points.

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. Emilio

Why was the two term Mayoral limit adopted?

These would-be career political types do yearn for power, a very intoxicating aphrodisiac. Being the boss is very important for Mike and his IT empire just doesn't give him the kind of buzz that being Mayor does.

January 1, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  2. rickymo57@nyc.rr.com

After he bought term limits he bought the election. This is a classic example of a rich politician doing buying what he wants and having the sheep believe him. King Bloomberg has a 3rd time against the will of the people..and even though he was "voted" in he foolled almost everyone. Pity...

January 1, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  3. Franky, Land of Lincoln

This guy has money, I mean, money.

I admit, don't know his full accomplishments and goals in New York. All I know New York is "soft", especially after the 9/11 attacks. And what better evidence than the rich man you see on that pic.

I'd like to think he's a good Mayor and all that, maybe he is but I don't know, I'm sure the people of New York have an idea. I'm sure they have their own perspective and perception towards him. I don't hate him, all I know he's rich.

PS: Don't feel bad New York, Cali is on a crisis and the 3rd largest city in America, Chicago, still has 12 corrupted politicians who haven't done time yet! And you think you have it bad in your state or city, you ain't shady, you're just weak.

January 1, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  4. Aspen Professor

Interesting guy this Bloomberg - He wins as a Democrat, wins as a Republican, then wins as an Independent. Can't stand either of the big Parties. Didn't remain a Republican for long. Woke up when he found them arrogant hyocrits.

Good luck Mayor!

January 1, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. They call me "tater salad"

See what money can buy?.............Apparently it can buy you a seat in the New York City Mayors office.........This crook didn't get elected.........He bought his way in......And anyone who thinks differently is an absolute moron!!!

January 1, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  6. Bobitis

Chuck – Your anti semitic remark just helps point out your overall ignorance. New York is blessed to have such an upstanding and brilliant person offer his services. As you may not know, he takes a salary of $1 a year...so where's his self interest?? I think the more he spends on his elections, the less likely he is doing this for financial gain....I truly believe he has all New Yorker's best interest at heart. I thought I would never see a better mayor than Ed Koch....but he comes awfully close....

January 1, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |