January 2nd, 2010

New Year's resolutions from Washington and beyond

Washington (CNN) –Members of the Best Political Team on Television – and some of the politicians they "cover" told us what their New Year's resolutions are for 2010, including "relaxing more" and texting less.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney : "I need to relax more. I'm going to start by loosening my tie before I got to bed."

New York Gov. David Paterson: "My wish for this New Year is that people in government would realize that cutting now is less damaging than cutting later. Families are forced to make difficult decisions every day, and especially during this time of the year as families must decide between toys for the holidays and paying the rent. The responsible thing to do is pay the rent, and I believe the public understands this. But some people in government are afraid to look the public in the eye and say these are the tough choices we have to make."

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger:"You know, to me, I think jobs, jobs, jobs. That's the only thing that I can think of, because to me - you know, you can talk about all the details in the world but the people in California need jobs."

National Correspondent Jessica Yellin: "My resolution next year: more talking less texting."

Senior Political Analyst Gloria Borger: "One day this year I want to wake up this year earlier than Mike Allen."

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer: "I resolve to be a better friend by staying in closer touch with my friends - and not just by email or Twitter - but by actually talking to them and even seeing them in person. Can you imagine!"

CNN Senior White House Correspondent Ed Henry: "The first year of the Obama administration was too busy to take my son and Dad for a pilgrimage to the new Yankee Stadium, but we're going to get it done in 2010, especially since we're World Champs again.".

National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn: "To try to stop any more Washington takeovers."

Filed under: Popular Posts
  1. If you want something ruined, put a republican in charge

We should all resolve to make sure we elect no more right wingnuts.

January 2, 2010 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  2. If you want something ruined, put a republican in charge

It looks like Mr. Mittens does have quite a sense of humor. After all, his ties have prevented him from getting oxygen to the brain.

January 2, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  3. Tony

It's so amazingly sad that some cannot even make New Year resolutions for themselves personally but instead have to make political statements as if it's humorous in a way. "Stop political takeovers" or "jobs jobs jobs." Let's get real for a second and think of ourselves for once.

January 2, 2010 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  4. LacrosseMom

Like what Wolf Blitzer had to say. I agree Wolf, we all need to stay in touch with loved ones more.

I will add that our Nation as a whole, need to resolve to be polite, to be kind, refuse to let those who spew hate to get to us.

This year, America, I pray that the Left & Right will agree to disagree politely without all the hate and angst that the Right is known for.

Let's resolve to treat everyone as we want to be treated, because we are all in this together.

January 2, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  5. Proud Democrat

Governor Patterson said a mouthful.

When the average American is cash strapped......we CUT BACK on spending, we start eating at home more instead of eating out, we stop by expensive gifts, we cut back on luxuries, we stop focusing on things we want to buy.....but rather buy only the things we absolutely need. We focus on the important things like JOBS, HOUSING and FOod........so why can't Washington do the same?

Washington is using our money and throwing it away like it grows on trees.....they are working on programs that are increasing our debt instead of decreasing our deficit. They are working on programs that help the rich and elite and have done nothing to help the poor and middle class.

It's time to wake up Washington......do so quickly, otherwise you will be finding yourself voted out of office in the near future.

January 2, 2010 11:43 am at 11:43 am |