January 2nd, 2010

Obama takes family for shave ice

(CNN)– President Obama took his family and friends for a New Year's treat Friday– shave ice.

Joined by a group of 19, Obama ordered the "Snowbama," from Island Snow in Kailua, Hawaii. The cone included LemonLime, Cherry & PassionGuava flavors, and he opted out of including azuki beans.

"I like my shave ice straight. No frills," Obama said.

First Lady Michelle Obama was not seen on the outing.

While vacationing in Hawaii, the president has made regular visits to the gym, played several rounds of golf, and has gone to the movies to see Avatar.

The President is expected to arrive back in Washington D.C. with a full plate of issues on Monday.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Michael J

This must be the biggest waste of space ever. Big who cares!

January 2, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. Debby

CNN you get nuttier with your ticker each day. LOL

January 2, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  3. jules sand-perkins

How is the name for this treat derived?
    Is the ice shaven from a block? Or–somebody shaved it?
    Perhaps it uses the imperative, as in, "Joe, shave ice and pour flavoring on it."
    I am curious about the evolution of this term, "shave ice," in the English language.

January 2, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  4. Slobbering over Obama

Is this a political ticker,,, or a tabloid column?????

Did Obama wipe his nose and take a leak too?

THIS is exactly why CNN news is one of the lowest rated news organizations out there.

they SLOBBER over Obamas every move,,, I bet they whiff when he farts too.

January 2, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. jim

Why, in God's name, did you use up space reporting this? It is a total non-story. Even people who love Obama (if any are left) must be bored to tears reading it. We don't expect high journalistic standards from you, just a little common sense!

January 2, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  6. Jen Scaife

Gee, I'm glad to know this. Now I can sleep tonight.

January 2, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  7. Matt

Can anyone explain to me why this has to be reported on? Yes, he's our President, and that's the first family. But I think I'm ok with letting them get shaved ice and me not knowing about it.

January 2, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  8. J.C. - Independent 4 Public Option

President Obama also visited military bases in Hawaii and wish our servicemen and women a Happy New Year.

January 2, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. Silence Dogoode

How is this news?

January 2, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  10. Obama Mama

Enjoy first family enjoy....

January 2, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |