January 4th, 2010

Tea Party groups plan 'strike'

ALT TEXT

Tea party protesters gathered on Capitol Hill in September 2009. (Photo Credit: Getty Images/File)

Washington (CNN) - Some Tea Party activists from across the country are planning a 'national strike' on January 20, the one-year anniversary of President Barack Obama's inauguration.

The idea of holding an economic protest sprung up during the holidays as the result of a conference call held by various Tea Party group leaders, according to Allen Hardage, a conservative grassroots organizer from Georgia.

"Tea Party activists are frustrated that despite a huge turnout over the last year Congress is ignoring them," says Hardage, who is national operations director for the planned strike. "The question is that if the elected officials ignore you, what do you do to exercises your right to self-governance? So we decided to hold a National Day of Strike where we go after the large donors of the people pushing this radical agenda."

Hardage says the idea of the one-day strike is to focus attention on the businesses that support the most liberal members of Congress as well as groups that advocate "big government" policies.

But Hardage says the move will not be a boycott: "Here we are exposing the agenda of some of the most widely known companies in America and letting the consumer decide. If a corporation decides to jump into politics to the tune of millions of dollars, then they need to expect that they will alienate some of their customers."

The strike is being promoted online through the organizers' Web site through Web sites of various Tea Party groups and on social networking sites.

CNN reached out to a number of national Tea Party organizations. While some were aware of the planned strike and some not informed, none said they were going to actively take part in the event.

Filed under: Extra • Popular Posts • Tea Party movement
  1. mjm

I am telling you NONE of these strikes will deter this administration... you should do what the teroriss do so NoObama understands what is going on

January 4, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. MishaJohn

I wonder if they'lll top their *huge" turnout of 75,000 at the DC protest. How pathetic.

January 4, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. algriffin521

the only effective strike would be by the military.

January 4, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. Sniffit

LOL...who cares? Blithering idiots will do bluitheringly idiotic things. "Monkey Throws Poop" is not a shocking headline, CNN.

January 4, 2010 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  5. maine liberal

is it still a "party" if no one shows up.

January 4, 2010 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. Allen

Doesn't the taliban also talk of "planning strikes" on our country?

Not much difference between the two groups they both want our nation and our president to fail. These people should be in Gitmo.

January 4, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  7. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

These tea baggers need to get meaningful lives and shut up.....

January 4, 2010 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  8. mjm

Yeah...good luck with all that.

January 4, 2010 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  9. Pete

Huh. Those of us who actually work for a living will be WORKING that day. Guess it's corporately-funded astroturfers who have the luxury to pretend to be revolutionaries.

January 4, 2010 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  10. Craig from Pa.

How infantile!!!

January 4, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. lifelong democrat

Like other moderate democrats I've joined TEA (Tax Enough Already) Party in my city. TEA PARTY goers came from different political parties. Survival of our wallet is bigger than survival of our political affiliation. #1 is myself, my political affiliation can be found located at the bottom of my lists.

January 4, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. jack in denver

(The question is that if the elected officials ignore you, )

I think they're supose to ignore the crazy fringe element!!

January 4, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  13. Kristian

It'll be funny if they lose their jobs because they went on strike, and then have no health care.

January 4, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  14. Lori in St Pete

They're all retirees! If they care to "strike", the gov should "strike" back and cancel all of their "socialist" benefits. As a taxpaying citizen, I'm sick of those old jerks who had everything handed to them in their good union jobs now telling ME I should do without while at the same time expecting me to fork more of MY hard-earned $$$ for them!

January 4, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. Duck Fallas

The democrats should abandon their radical agenda and adopt the teabagger's radical agenda. Makes perfect sense.

Once the grassroots organization Fux News gets behind this, there will be a lot more interest.

January 4, 2010 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  16. RepublicanCommunismWorse

Does this mean that the big health insurance companies will be exposed by the Tea Party people for spending millions to buy our congressmen off to stop reform?

January 4, 2010 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  17. lifelong democrat

Like other moderate democrats I've joined TEA (Tax Enough Already) Party in my city. TEA PARTY goers came from different political parties. Survival of our wallet is bigger than survival of our political affiliation. My #1 is myself, my children, my family; my political affiliation can be found located at the bottom of my lists. Politicians come and go, my family stays with me until the day I die.

January 4, 2010 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. Too True For You

Can't wait to see what old crowd footage Fox will photoshop in to make it look like anyone really cared about this latest radical fringe nutjob tantrum.

January 4, 2010 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  19. charlie in Maine

I support your right to strike. Given your politics I doubt you would support mine but that is the price I'll pay for being a proud liberal.

Cheer up tea partiers at least my guy was elected imagine if McCain and Palin had won and the Supreme court gave it away to Obama. Oh man that would really suck.........

January 4, 2010 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  20. The Real Tom Paine

Maybe the "frustration" supposedly felt by Tea Party Activists has far more to do with the conclusion reached by Congress and the more rational elements of our society that the Tea Baggers are the political equivilent of a bad case of gas: initially offensive, but utterly lacking substance and soon dissipated into nothing.

January 4, 2010 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  21. Randolph Carter, I'm no expert but...

The petit bourgeois are revolting! Hee hee. Just once, I'd like to see the urban poor (and the growing not-so-urban poor) surround one of these mass temper tantrums and chase their whining lilly white butts back to the suburbs where they belong. Have a nice day!

January 4, 2010 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  22. Cody

Hurray it's like senior ditch day all over again! I wonder how many of those who participate in this will use a sick day???

January 4, 2010 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  23. JS007

The reason people are ignoring you is because you are a bunch of ignorant racist hicks being exploited by the Republican party.

January 4, 2010 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  24. vijay

Where were you 8 years ago. Shame on you.?
    hayward, Calif.

January 4, 2010 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. recently paroled

The idea that rallies and tea parties are an acceptable alternative to you know, voting is ridiculous. Do these people actually think that the government will ignore the mandate given them by voters and listen to a bunch of people at a rally? Go read the constiution and not just the parts you like...

January 4, 2010 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |