January 7th, 2010

Brennan: 'We didn't follow up'

Washington (CNN) - U.S. officials knew the al Qaeda operation in Yemen wanted to attack the United States, but failed to uncover the actual Christmas Day plot, President Barack Obama's adviser on homeland security and counterterrorism said Thursday.

Read: A summary of the White House report

The official, John Brennan, said the realization that al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula's "aspirations" to attack the United States had become a real and nearly successful plot was his biggest surprise in reviewing intelligence failures surrounding the event.

Related: Obama outlines anti-terrorism flaws, reforms

1. Peter, St. Louis

How about firing the whole bunch of inept cronies Obama appointed, and put some bright and qualified officials in charge. Please, please let Janet N. (big Obama suck-up) be the first to get canned!

January 7, 2010 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  2. Debby

Obama is in charge its his fault all the way. He didn't seem to care eating shaved ice and watching Avatar. Obama should be impeached he is not a fit leader.

January 7, 2010 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  3. lifelong democrat

Obama should fire Brennan, Napolitano and Hillary Clinton. They"re sleeping at the wheel. You can't blame Bush anymore, that card expired. I'm very very disappointed with you Obama, very very disappointed. You've made me lose my trust and confidence for the party that I've supported since I was 18 years old; you, Pelosi and Harry Reid have succeeded in destroying my party. I cannot trust any of you anymore to do right with us, I cannot trust you anymore to do right for USA.

January 7, 2010 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  4. mavcal

Obama and his Harvard educated elite administration didn't follow up? So much for the intellectuals. Here's the deal – stop pampering Obama, he does enough of that himself. Start demanding that he get behind his desk and start working intead of looking for the nearest camera to flap his lips. I said it before and I will say it again – it should have been Hillary.

January 7, 2010 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  5. Hammerer

Another example of the incompetence of this administration!
    How many citizens will have to die before Obama is held accountable?

January 7, 2010 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  6. Ancient Texan

Brennan is even more clueless than President Obama. We will not defeat Al Qaeda playing defense. But as long as we view terrorist as poor misunderstood people that we must have hurt the feelings of, we are in extreme danger.

January 7, 2010 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  7. TOTUS

Why is this man not flipping burger somewhere now alongside Big Sis?

January 7, 2010 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |