January 7th, 2010

McCain in new ad: Obama leading 'crusade to bankrupt America'

John McCain says President Obama is leading a 'crusade to bankrupt America,' in a new radio ad.

Washington (CNN) – It's McCain vs. Obama, Round 2 in Sen. John McCain's new radio ads, the first of his 2010 re-election bid.

"President Obama is leading an extreme, left-wing crusade to bankrupt America," McCain says in one of the new radio ads. "I stand in his way every day. If I get a bruise or two knocking some sense into heads in Washington, so be it," the Arizona Republican also says in the ad.

The second radio ad references McCain's time as a POW during the Vietnam War, saying McCain continues to fight to this day. "John McCain is leading the fight against President Obama every day, standing tall and outspoken, helping Arizona families," an announcer says in the second ad.

"My lot in life has been to wage war against wrong," McCain intones in the second ad, "like today's massive spending at the worst possible time. Send me back to the Senate. We'll win that fight for Arizona."

"Character matters," an announcer says near the end of each ad, in a reference to McCain's reputation as a political maverick who stands on principle.

In an e-mail to his supporters, McCain seeks donations to help keep the new ads on air in Arizona.

McCain faces a possible primary challenge from former Arizona Rep. J. D. Hayworth. Hayworth, an outspoken foe of immigration reform measures championed by McCain, lost his bid for re-election to the House in 2006 and is now a radio talk show host in the state popular with conservative voters. Hayworth has yet to formally announce a bid to challenge McCain, but has hinted on his show at a possible challenge.

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. George

Go away McCain. You lost!!!! Go play with Sarah!!!

January 7, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

McCain is a thief who bankrupt Lincoln S&L and his son followed suit when he took a huge bonus from Silver Bank of Arizona one month before it colapsed leaving investors dry. Bank of America took over Silver Bank to help investors and you the Tax payer bailed out Bank of America. John McCain is a crook who got off easy because Charles Keating and his son took the fall and went to prison for him.

January 7, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  3. jeanne

Dear Senator McCain...........first, my apologies...I did not vote for you last election....second....I hope you do run again....you will have my vote this time.....please don't pick palin again, thats what swayed me last time....and third..when you do get elected, please get our economy strong again, the american family is struggling....please don;t bail out all your ballroom friends and ceos as the current potos is doing.......

January 7, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. uh..

John, Obama beat you in 2008. Like a drum. Pick on someone your own size if you want to look good running for reelection in AZ.

January 7, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. geecee

Oh, yeah, right John. And you would have done such a better job handling the economy, the Wars, the environment, job creation, health care and all the other issues Obama is struggling with because of the past misdeeds of the prior administration. Yes, you and your sidekick, Sarah Pain, would have done a so much better job of keeping America from going off the cliff than Obama has done. Yes, I believe it, really!!!

January 7, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  6. ~~ JULY ~~

Geee I wonder if he will mention his biggest mistake to be part of his ads .... Palin will sure help you ...... lose again!

January 7, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  7. John, a proud veteran

I liked McCain in 1999.
    Today's massive spending is at the worst possible time because Democrats get the credit for helping bankers instead of Republicans.
    I guess he thinks it was OK to run up a deficit in the last 8 years after we had a balanced budget.

January 7, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  8. Who put the twit in twitter? Sarah!

Angry old man shakes fist at clouds and talks to parking meters.

January 7, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  9. Edna

All I can say is that I am xo glad that John McCain did not become the 44th President of the United States. He does not have the intelligence or the wisdom to lead this country. He can only criticize. I have not heard one good suggestion from him concerning getting our economy in order. I hope that the people of Arizone vote him out of order, but I doubt it, because they seem to be as ignorant as he is.

January 7, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  10. rich in az

rally the troops with that "POW" crap. Why did you seal your military records, John?

January 7, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  11. Gary

McCain is a bad as Cheney. Get over your loss. WE voted in this administration, not yours.

January 7, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  12. Cheri, Columbia, SC

Yes, character does matter – and President Obama has a good deal of it. I'm sorry, Senator McCain, but you should retire.

January 7, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  13. Ben in Texas

McCain was soundly defeated by the American voters. McCain didn't get the message. Maybe he needs to be one of those "heads in Washington" that get some sense knocked into them.

Could there be a more clueless politician? Oh, that's right. She was his running mate.

January 7, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  14. ray

why dont this old hag and the rest of the obstructionist on the right get a life and stop trying to bring this country toe its knees like they did over the last eight years?.

January 7, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  15. Shawn

McCain is just a sore LOSER. His desperate, extremist language is embarrassing and notice how he didn't make a peep when GW Bush blew up a trillion dollars for LIES in Iraq?

At least Obama is investing in America.

January 7, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. Kevin in Ohio

No doubt! Tax Tax Tax. Spend Spend Spend. Obama has absolutely no concept of basic Economics 101. We are all dead if we can't stop him.

January 7, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. gwt301

How'd that work out in the Presidential election?

January 7, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. Rick

I don't get it. Instead of running against whomever he'll face in the Senate election race, he's trying to run against Obama again? Didn't he already lose that one?

January 7, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  19. Vic

Did you fight the wrongs of the Bush Administration? Didn't think so...

January 7, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  20. Cassey, OH

Still smarting over the crushing blow he received in 2008. Well, sore losers should fade away. Not McCain, there are still people out there who believed him when the financial market was caving and he said "the fundamentals were sound". I for one did not believe him and so I voted for President Obama. Boy, am I glad I did, and I will be voting for his re-election in 2012.

Dream on McCain, your whining and finger pointing won't work here.

January 7, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  21. David in Houston

Sour grapes, anyone?

January 7, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  22. Tristan

Uhhhh, it was Reaganomics that bankrupted America. I thought everyone had figured that out by now. In Reagan's 8 years America went from the world's largest creditor nation to the world's largest debtor nation.

January 7, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  23. Independent

Forget that America has already bankrupt itself by a decade of senseless spending by the right-wing crusade. Amazing how we now want to spend less after falling so hard on reality. It usually takes bad things to happen for people to react. Now, the opposition wants to be the responsible party with all the answers. At what point did they regain conservative values? Absolute Political Nonsense. That goes for all parties.

January 7, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  24. Roger Whipple

John -

I guess you didnt realize that you lost the election. I know people get confused at a certian age but I would thinks since you don't live in the White House you may have figured it out.

Sorry Boo...no sit down and be quiet!

January 7, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  25. HSNP

Really?? I thought George W. Bush started the campaign to bankrupt America and that Pres. Obama was trying to UNDO that disaster.

January 7, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |