January 7th, 2010

Palin to speak at major GOP event

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will speak at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in April.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will not be speaking at this year's Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, but she has accepted an invitation to speak at a higher profile event that could have implications for the 2012 presidential race.

Palin will speak at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans, a major gathering of Republican officials, donors and activists from 14 southern states, organizers announced Thursday.

"I'm looking forward to addressing conservative activists from across the south at the 2010 Southern Republican Leadership Conference," Palin said in a statement. "This is a great opportunity to listen and speak to those who are helping to set the direction of our party."

A Palin confidante said the governor is not being paid to speak at the event.

Political watchers will be paying close attention, and not just because several potential presidential candidates are expected to attend. The SRLC - "the most prominent Republican event outside of a Republican National Convention," the organization boasts - also conducts a presidential straw poll.

The straw poll has had a mixed record of predicting future electoral success. George W. Bush, who was then governor of Texas, won the poll in 1998, two years before his presidential bid. But former Tennessee Sen. Bill Frist, who never mounted a presidential bid, took first place at the 2006 SRLC.

"We're excited to have Governor Palin join us in New Orleans. She represents the future of the Republican Party and will be a huge draw for conservative activists from across the country," SRLC Director Charlie Davis said in an accompanying statement.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. HBO

She can talk?

January 7, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  2. Mark

New Orleans is not a republican base it's a welfare city, no doubt about it. I hope she has good security, they have several murders a week there.

January 7, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  3. susan nunn

It isn't worth commenting on.

January 7, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  4. Brad

The people making Palin a celebrity are the media pundits who incessantly cover her. Her name is mentioned on MSNBC at least twice an hour. It is the media that is making her a Republican focal point in an effort to cause greater schisms in the party. I don't dislike her, but I don't think she's ready for the White House – NOR do I think she deserves the incessant ridicule of rabid libs and media talking heads who continue to fawn over a president who has been in over his head since day one.

January 7, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  5. Indy

Hopefully she can commit to finishing the speech all the way through. She is not very good at finishing anything such as school, Governships, sentences, thoughts etc. Could be some great material for comedians at this event.

January 7, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  6. ran

Just could not go a week without putting this jerk on could you CNN.

BUT YOU CAN NOT GIVE A SINGLE PLUG FOR OUR TROOPS.

I guess I need to go else were for my news.

January 7, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  7. 8 Years of Political Mismanagement

Americans who vote the republicans back into office are the same who think we didn't go through a recession or that it is okay for families to lose all their possessions to cover helthcare when their child is sick. Do they not realize that they brought us to this financial mess as we went through the same issue the last time they were in power, S&L crisis and even back then Bush's brother was in the middle.

January 7, 2010 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  8. chuck

PLEASE GOP make this person your candidate for 2012.........

January 7, 2010 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  9. ccalgop1

Dear Mrs. Palin,
    I don't mind you as a figure for my party but I'd really like for our party to win back the White House in 2012. So just be very casual and perhaps the next Republican President will put you over The Dept. of the Interior or something.:) President Obama if she's your future opponent you will have virtually nothing to worry about. Provided that is you make like President Clinton and embrace some conservative policies. God Bless America.

January 7, 2010 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  10. Ron

I doubt the republicans will nominate her in 2012. Wait.....that's the same party that brought us Bush.....oh hell......

January 7, 2010 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  11. Lee

ridiculously unqualified to speak of anything but 'how to quit my responsibilities of being a governor' and 'how to complain about the media, so that i stay in the media'. if she wants to speak on those topics, then yaaaay palin...otherwise, stop ranting your unfounded nonsense just so you can stick that face and your 'you-betchas' in the same media you oh-so-hate each and every day in the thinly veiled hope that the uninformed amongst us can praise your hopes and wishes for anger against the democrats.
    you lost...and please, please, please run in 2012, sarah...i would love to give comedians and the educated much, much more to laugh at

January 7, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  12. marc-bos

Southern Radical Leaning Conservatives. How appropriate. We know from her book she lies-she should be right at home.

January 7, 2010 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  13. WIL

The outcome of this story is almost three years away why should we care. CNN please give us a break the lady is a quitter take a clue from her and QUIT reporting on her please.

January 7, 2010 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  14. tee

As long as they continue to value this women......the GOP will remain irrelevent......shouting out talking points is not equivelent to having knowledge and understanding about the political process and how to make it work.

January 7, 2010 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  15. Willow

Trying to make "Nice Nice" is she?

Sure hope the GOP don't forget how she threw them under the bus by recently backing another candidate, which cost the republicans one of their most treasured seats.

Oh, and how she viciously attacked two of the most prominent GOP election strategists, in her book of lies!!! Why who wouldn't want Palin in their GOP corner?

Yes, the "Queen of Divisive", her only real title, has and contiues to harm the republicans–not help them!

I for one look forward to her showing her face in association with republicans, it will only enhance Dems chances on '10 and '12!!!!!

January 7, 2010 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  16. Nellie Bly

I'm just waiting for her to ask how far away Old Orleans is from New Orleans?

January 7, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  17. Maverick

Too bad I can't make it. She is so pretty that I don't mind when she tells her lies.

January 7, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  18. Greg, San Francisco, CA

My gosh it's been almost 4 days since the ticker had an article about Sarah Palin. I was beginning to worry.

January 7, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  19. ann lord

Republicans have one montra and they took it from the play book of Senator Joseph McCarthy.....fear, evil, hate....and keep smiling while you lie and don't forget to mention Jesus a few times.....

January 7, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  20. Shawn

I'm sorry but when you quit the job of Governor you don't get to be called Governor anymore.

This woman doesn't represent the conservative in me even a little. I finish the jobs I started. I don't ditch out for one making more money that involves complaining about how others aren't doing their jobs when I don't even finish what I've already started.

Sara Palin step off the stage so the real people can do the talking. You're just a trophy wife for the republican party and nothing else. .

January 7, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  21. bobbytiger

Congratulations on your speaking at CPAC,
    and,
    for continuing to get under the skin of liberals.
    Do you have my support?
    You betcha.

January 7, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  22. Dex, Houston TX

The Southern Republican Leadership Conference," = Confederate Republicans....Palin better learn to spit tobacco during her speech!

January 7, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  23. Paul

the attitude of " oh good, Sarah may run, we don't have anything to worry about" is the attitude that will cost seats next year, and in 2012. The midterms need to be run as if the Democrats are in the minority. Complacency on the liberal side will allow people like Robin (below) to claim victory. Sarah may be a fool and as clueless as she comes, but dismissing her and her followers is a mistake. We can't allow the Republicans to gain control of either house of congress. If they do, disaster will follow. Look what they've done in full minority status. If they gain control of the house or the senate, any hope of change will die.

January 7, 2010 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  24. James

No serious Republican can consider that quitter a candidate? Honestly, she quit after 2 years? Don't most people see that is pathetic? Is that going to get her swift-boated? Please. Obama vs. Palin 2012, I'm not even going to tune in to that match ...

January 7, 2010 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  25. JAMES TAYLOR

Thank God she is not getting paid. I can not for the life of me believe that someday this women could be president. As God is my wittnes I will leave this great country if she does. Why can"t either party find someone that can lead this country out of the mess we are in. Someone please step up and help us.
    God bless you all and God Bless America