January 7th, 2010

Tea party song goes viral

Songwriter Ray Stevens dresses as a founding father in his YouTube sensation 'We the People.'

(CNN) – By 1990, two-time Grammy award winning recording artist Ray Stevens had four albums that had sold more than 500,000 copies. In 2010 and at almost 71-years-old, his new single entitled "We The People" is a YouTube sensation that has been viewed one-and-a-half million times in three weeks.

In the song, Stevens lambastes "Obamacare," a popular term among dissidents of the Democratic health care reform bills. "You vote Obamacare, We'll vote you outta here, We the People have awaken to your tricks," the songwriter sings.

Stevens is shown in front of backdrops of the U.S. Capitol Building, President Obama's first State of the Union address, the White House lawn and a very bright American flag.

He also appears as almost every character in the nearly four-minute video, including a plumber, doctor, grandmother, construction worker, farmer and founding father.

The country singer is known for his novelty songs and in 2002 released a single that went gold entitled "Osama Yo' Mama."

Filed under: Health care • Tea Party movement
  1. sonny chapman

If this is the "art" we can expect under a Republican Theocracy, give me "evil" Hollywood any day.

January 7, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. guest

I'm sorry to see Ray Stevens promoting a cause that dis-allows 30+ million Americans affordable healthcare. I thought he was a better man than that.

January 7, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  3. Obama Mama

Ha ha ha,,,wooooooo, these clowns are funny Must give them that.....

January 7, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  4. OZ in TX

Tea Party followers understand one thing and one thing only ... whatever FOX News tell them to understand.

This is the biggest hoax in the history of civilization! The Republican party that cares about nothing but big business has the cannon fodder masses that die for them on the battlefield and work in their factories believing that the Republican party represents them.

Wrap anything up in the American flag or Religion and you can sell it to poor, uneducated Americans.

Ray Stevens is just a smart small business owner, making a buck off the gullible masses. Hey, does anyone want to buy a pet rock?

January 7, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  5. Barbara Independent in NY

Has anyone looked at the signs of racism and hatred that the "tea partiers" carry. I wish this movement really was against taxers but we all know that it really isn't.

January 7, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. SLP

I fully support the tea party movement and I graduated with my masters with a 4.0 grade point average in speech pathology. As hard as it is to imagine, you don't have to be a democrat to be educated. I am so sick and tired of hearing that line. CNN, you had better post this. It is just wrong that you allow these comments but you don't allow comments from those of us who are trying to defend ourselves from these stereotypes.

January 7, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. rednekhank

Looks like ol' Ray is having trouble getting paying gigs. Just a sad old man.

January 7, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  8. Matthew in Wisconsin

Kind of sad really. I've always likes Ray Stevens, but everyone has to make a living I guess. I truly wish the Tea Party enthusiasts really understood what the U.S. Constitution says and how the U.S. government works and doesn't work. There real problem is our party system leads to stalemate in our government; and that will not be going away anytime soon. That is a problem WAY to complex to put into a simple silly song.

January 7, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  9. Cynthia

Taxes pay for civilized society and the betterment of all. They pay for safety (police, firemen) for all, education for all and they should pay for healthcare for all.
    Do you Tea Party fools not realize that the US is the only civilized western country that does not offer universal healthcare to its citizens.
    Are you so selfish and greedy you cannot see this is the humane and Christian approach. Again the hypocracy of the "religious" right is staggering.

If you had your way, Americans would all live in bunkers with guns looking after only themselves- survival of the most selfish and agressive.

I pray for President Obama and his vision of a better America.

January 7, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  10. geecee

The teabaggers just don't get it. They actually somehow believe that this country and all the freedoms they get (including the military defense) get paid for from money falling from the sky. Where do they think their tax dollars should go. Just pay for War and that's it? They don't believe in infrastructure, education, health care reform, environmental improvements, transportation and road improvements. They don't want to do anything but pay for Wars with their tax dollars. And if we don't have wars, well, they won't pay any taxes. That seems to be their ideology. Bunch of fearmongering idiots!!

January 7, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  11. Mel A

This song is as astonishingly ignorant as those who can't spell on their protest signs or believe Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin are educated or intelligent enough to truly lead our nation (thru the media or politics).

January 7, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. Johnny Sack

When will we accept the Tea Party lunatics for who they are – lunatics? They are a disgrace to our founding fathers and the true original meaning of the original term Tea Party.

January 7, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  13. rob wilson

What, "the Streak" isn't providing enough revenue? What a has-been.

January 7, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  14. Is 4 Years Up Yet? I can't count...

What will this fartsmith come up with next? Yuk yuk...

January 7, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  15. John, Brooklyn, NY

To quote the old Andy Williams Show line...

"Who is Ray Stevens?"

Now I'm convinced he's better off forgotten.

January 7, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  16. Jack Fl

Looking at the photo, Ithought he was getting ready to go to New Jersey. Ifyou take this guy serious you deserve what you get! He's just trying to make a buck. A fool and his money are soon parted.

January 7, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  17. Libertarian

Another case of the minority whining because they lost the election and claim they are they majority.

Not only did Republicans lose...they got slaughtered. Regardless of what they want you to think, that is how DEMOCRACY WORKS! We take a vote and majority rules. Repubs want you to think somehow that's not the case and democracy is failing. Sad....

January 7, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  18. Rea-Tardy

The Tea Party morons should remove their children from all public schools, cease driving on any road funded by the public, stop using libraries or museums, stop relying on police and fire protection...oh wait, THAT kind of so-called "socialism" must be OK.

And as for that kind of so-called "socialism," the Tea Party morons routinely compare Obama to figures such as Stalin and Hitler, among others, despite the fact that communism, socialism, facsism, and others each espouse very different philosophies (not to mention Obama's half-black and wouldn't have survived in Hitler's Germany in the first place, DUH). So Orange Curtain – you are right. These people have no clue what they're talking about. They're just jumping on a bandwagon to stop things they aren't even informed about.

January 7, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  19. Libertarian

Maybe at this next Tea party, Hannity will run crowd shots of Obama's acceptance speech (HUGE CROWD) and claim they are tea parties. LOL

Sad, but that kind of video doctoring has been going on a lot with Faux News. And sadder....their viewers believe it!! Even after they've been busted TWICE!!!

January 7, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. Anonymous

who's the next mascot? larry the cable guy?

January 7, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  21. scottish Mama

I am starting a Coffee party movement.
    Community Of Family, Friends, Employers, Engaged
    The mission statement will be to support our country, Help our citizens, Help create an atmosphere to form jobs, Give healthcare to the poor, Give food to the needy, Give shelter to the homeless, be less critical, and be more productive in deeds.
    I do not know one person that belongs to the tea party.
    I don't mind paying taxes for healthcare. It the habitual wars the repubs start that I mind paying for.
    Healthcare goood. Wars Baaad.

January 7, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  22. slkwly

Sad...just sad....these "tea baggers" (why any sane person would call themselves that is highly questionable) were nowhere to be found during the Bush years. Now, that someone is trying to fix the damage done over the last 8 years, they suddenly have objections and opinions. All of this points to the fact they they are hiding behind their real objections to this President, but unlike the 'real Tea Party' formed during the pre-Revolutionary War days, they are just cowards.

January 7, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  23. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

I like Ray Stevens. I have always thought he was funny... I still do. I'm not taking him seriously here. I think he MUST be kidding.

OR he's not as smart as I thought he was.

January 7, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  24. Edna

How disgusting!!!!! You can believe I will never listen to this ridiculous song. He is my President and I will not disrespect him in this way. I pay taxes and have worked all my life. I have health care but would like to see those who can't afford it, get it. This country takes care of everyone else, we need to start taking care of our own. I have paid taxes all my life because I have to and have no choice. When my taxes are raised, I pay them. Stop whining. I have watched the so-called tea party movement the entire summer and all I see is a bunch of uneducated, simple folks who have nothing better to do than run around looking ignorant. None of this mess went on when Bush was in office and he was spending billions of taxpayer dollars on wars that we had no business being in. No one cared what he did or how he spent their money. Now, all of a sudden, everybody is so interested. Well, I suspect it's because you don't like who the President is. He is your President and I continue to say it, if you don't like it, move to another country. All of your shenanigans just makes you look ignorant. I am sick and tired of Republicans and the teabaggers, minorities, all of you.

January 7, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  25. Fred

What a bunch of tea-baggers.

January 7, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |