January 11th, 2010

Blagojevich: 'Stupid' to say I'm blacker than Obama

(CNN) - Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich is apologizing for telling Esquire Magazine he's "blacker than Barack Obama."

"What I said was stupid, stupid, stupid," he told reporters outside his home Monday.

"I was speaking metaphorically. Obviously I'm not blacker than President Obama," said Blagojevich, who was impeached last year after being accused of trying to sell the Senate seat vacated by President Obama.

In the February edition of Esquire, Blagojevich said Obama was "catapulted in on hope can change, what we hope the guy is …

"What the f***? Everything he's saying's on the teleprompter. I'm blacker than Barack Obama. I shined shoes. I grew up in a five-room apartment. My father had a little laundromat in a black community not far from where we lived. I saw it all growing up," he said.

The governor apologized for his "stupid comments," but said he was expressing "real frustration" that nothing has changed under the Obama administration.

"Am I frustrated? Yes. Was I expressing frustration? Yes. Was that frustration real? Yes. Is it still real? Yes. Was the way I said what I said stupid? Absolutely yes, stupid," Blagojevich said.

Blagojevich last year pleaded not guilty to federal corruption charges. A federal grand jury in April indicted him on 16 felony counts, including racketeering, conspiracy, wire fraud and making false statements to investigators. His trial is slated for later this year.

The embattled ex-governor has maintained his innocence, insisting that "when the full story's heard …. it'll correct itself."

"What helps me get up every morning is, I'm fighting the fight for something much larger than me," Blagojevich said in the interview. "I'm fighting for what is at the basis of what our country is supposed to be, a place where you're presumed innocent, where if in fact you did something wrong, the system plays out in such a way where the truth comes out, not people being forced to lie and being squeezed to lie. If you love your country as I do, this is a fight worth fighting."

Blagojevich appears on NBC's "The Celebrity Apprentice" in March. His wife, Patti, was on the network's "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here" this past summer, lasting 23 days in the Costa Rican jungle before being voted off.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama • Rod Blagojevich
  1. Jazzy In Georgia

Not only is he insulting, he's actually "LOCO".

January 11, 2010 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  2. Catty

Kepp digging buddy.

January 11, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  3. joel

My favorite thing about this idiot is that he has no idea that we are all laughing at him along the way. He is just like Michael from the office, rod is the biggest moron I have seen politics in my lifetime.

January 11, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  4. Rogue

Bloggo not very smart but he is entertaining he is so stupid.

January 11, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  5. J.R.

The only thing black about Blagojevich is his soul – and I don't mean he's got rhythm.

He needs to go on tour with Rush Limpaw and do a battle of the mouths and egos.

Your 15 minutes is gone Blago. You sold it.

January 11, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  6. Mat

Blagojevich – Palin 2012 !

January 11, 2010 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  7. Aunt Bea and Opie

We didnt think he wanted to get to prison and expain just how black he is to the nazi gang that will have to protect him from the other prison gangs.They dont care which party you belong to,just what race you are.

January 11, 2010 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  8. Willy Brown

No I think you are blacker that Barry but ask Harry first.

January 11, 2010 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  9. Dee

All I can say is that this guy is an idiot! As an American, I am very insulted by his comment.

January 11, 2010 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  10. Jessica @ work in IL

Wow, shut up! "Stupid, stupid, stupid!" is right!

January 11, 2010 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  11. a real American

I can't wait to see how liberals justify this remark like Reid's.... it should make for good comedy!

By the way, what's Al Sharpton's opinion on this? After all, he's the one who gets to decide what is racist or not.

January 11, 2010 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  12. Tim

Blagojevich is an embarassment to the State of Illinois. He needs to shut the heck up, crawl into an anonymous hole and stay there.

January 11, 2010 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  13. obama the liar

the final arbiter will be Harry Reid.

January 11, 2010 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  14. Slider

Blacks have merely exchanged the degradation of the plantation owner for the goad of a pandering Democrat politician.

January 11, 2010 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  15. Tom

Stupid is as stupid does. Haven't politicians learning anything over the years?

January 11, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  16. Susan

Between Reid's and Blagojevich's comments is the admission that America does indeed have a class system where Negro = black = Untouchables who are (almost) destined to remain in this socioeconomic class. America likes to believe the "Pull Yourself Up by the Bootstraps" myth – that is independent of race.

January 11, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  17. Claudia, Houston, Tx

NUTS, NUTS, NUTS. The least someone can do for Bag is to commit him before he physically harms himself, wife or children. Look back at Bush's former attorney who tried to strangle and kill his wife. Don't wait, someone needs to help Bag seek mental care.

January 11, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  18. Felonious Monk

And these are examples of elected representatives?

January 11, 2010 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  19. ray

when keeping it real goes wrong...

January 11, 2010 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  20. Gordo

This man is a complete idiot and needs to shut his mouth. I can't believe he is getting to carry on with his foolishness in both this article and coming up on the Celebrity Apprentice. It is horrible that he's making money off his corruption and refuses to admit to his wrong-doings.

January 11, 2010 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  21. B

What a scumbag this guy is ! How in the world did that idiot ever get into office in the first place..
    The American people should certainly pay more attention to who they vote into office.

January 11, 2010 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  22. Joe Fattal

First Reid apologizing for the "Negro dialect". Now Blagojevich apologizing for "I am blacker than Obama". That I anderstand it was stupid, but why apologizing when you stupid?, people like stupid one, they make them smarter. Reid also shouldn't apologize for his "Negro dialect" remark. Obama had a choice to become either white or black. He decided he is black. If he wants to speak the Negro dialect, he can if he learns it. I don't see the big deal about it, what I see is they all are playing right in Obama's hands. That man used the race card himself from the beginning of his campaign, even his wife Michelle used it, and they will use it again. Stupidity is in question here, not racism.

January 11, 2010 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  23. Kat

Is this guy on drugs or just stupid?

January 11, 2010 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  24. good-bye global warming

Blago is the perfect example of a media double standard. If you're a Republican and say something remotely racist, the media wants your head on a platter. If you're a democrat and say something racist and stupid, you get to be on a reality show.

January 11, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  25. Michael from Ventura

His middle name is stupid! Will he never go away?

January 11, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |