January 11th, 2010

Blagojevich: 'Stupid' to say I'm blacker than Obama

(CNN) - Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich is apologizing for telling Esquire Magazine he's "blacker than Barack Obama."

"What I said was stupid, stupid, stupid," he told reporters outside his home Monday.

"I was speaking metaphorically. Obviously I'm not blacker than President Obama," said Blagojevich, who was impeached last year after being accused of trying to sell the Senate seat vacated by President Obama.

In the February edition of Esquire, Blagojevich said Obama was "catapulted in on hope can change, what we hope the guy is …

"What the f***? Everything he's saying's on the teleprompter. I'm blacker than Barack Obama. I shined shoes. I grew up in a five-room apartment. My father had a little laundromat in a black community not far from where we lived. I saw it all growing up," he said.

The governor apologized for his "stupid comments," but said he was expressing "real frustration" that nothing has changed under the Obama administration.

"Am I frustrated? Yes. Was I expressing frustration? Yes. Was that frustration real? Yes. Is it still real? Yes. Was the way I said what I said stupid? Absolutely yes, stupid," Blagojevich said.

Blagojevich last year pleaded not guilty to federal corruption charges. A federal grand jury in April indicted him on 16 felony counts, including racketeering, conspiracy, wire fraud and making false statements to investigators. His trial is slated for later this year.

The embattled ex-governor has maintained his innocence, insisting that "when the full story's heard …. it'll correct itself."

"What helps me get up every morning is, I'm fighting the fight for something much larger than me," Blagojevich said in the interview. "I'm fighting for what is at the basis of what our country is supposed to be, a place where you're presumed innocent, where if in fact you did something wrong, the system plays out in such a way where the truth comes out, not people being forced to lie and being squeezed to lie. If you love your country as I do, this is a fight worth fighting."

Blagojevich appears on NBC's "The Celebrity Apprentice" in March. His wife, Patti, was on the network's "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here" this past summer, lasting 23 days in the Costa Rican jungle before being voted off.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama • Rod Blagojevich
  1. BJs65

Stupid is as stupid does. Just go away Rod. Just go away.

January 11, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  2. Navy Vet

Blagovech, you're last person who should be commenting on anyones political performance.

January 11, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  3. Scott

Blago, you are stupid for many reasons. This latest will have to take a number.

January 11, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  4. notfooledbydistractions

Again, why is this man even give a platform?

January 11, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  5. Tayo, NY

Afterall the Ex-Gov still need to make an end means!

Period!!

January 11, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  6. GI Joe

Geeez – this guy will say and do anything to keep his name and face in the tabloids on-line and on the news stands.

(Kinda like Sara Palin with real hair – ha)

January 11, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  7. Norman

Blago certainly is not blacker than Obama...but he is way more stupider...

January 11, 2010 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  8. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Isn't this guy known for outrageous or stupid comments? That would mean that this is par for the course. Just let me know when he is in jail.

January 11, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  9. Lori in Texas

Why is CNN even writing about this idiot. Forget about Blago and his Big Giant Ego so he will just go away. Self centered rotten apples like him hurt us all. Obviously he doesn't have any, but I bet he can't even spell integrity.

Palin and Blago should be banned from CNN for 2010. We need a rest.

January 11, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. Sniffit

wow, where is the racist rev, al sharpton on this one?

January 11, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  11. Scott

This guy goes beyond narcicism into the realms of sociopath. Why does any media outlet give him the time of day?

January 11, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  12. Rick CT

But he sold the 60th seat to Obama's guy so that's OK. I'm sure that "apology" will be accepted, too.

Dou-ble Stan-dard clap clap clapclapclap
    Dou-ble Stan-dard clap clap clapclapclap
    Dou-ble Stan-dard clap clap clapclapclap
    Dou-ble Stan-dard clap clap clapclapclap
    Dou-ble Stan-dard clap clap clapclapclap

January 11, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  13. Kate from IL

When will you learn what a bass knows, Mr. Blagojevich? When will you learn to keep your fool mouth shut?

January 11, 2010 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  14. PaulMoATX

Foot in mouth sir, foot in mouth.

January 11, 2010 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  15. mdiederich

This man is hilarious.

January 11, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  16. David

Is 2010 the "How to say stupid racist things" in politics year? Did i miss that Memo? Reid and this moron pissing off black people, and that idiot Steele slandering Native Americans...i mean, are they putting something in the congressional water cooler this year?

About 99% when people say "omg racist!!" its usually just someone being and oversenstive whiner, but still considering how easily people get their panties in a wad in this country, you'd think that public officals would think for a few seconds before talking.

January 11, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  17. Richard L

"What I said was stupid, stupid, stupid"

Is this the first time he's ever told the truth?

January 11, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  18. Jay, Illinois

This guy (along with Palin) is total trash. Entrusted to do what is right for the people these garbage politicians are there to just make money through trashy means.

Sad. Where is the outrage?

January 11, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  19. Crazy Cat Lady

Yes, an obviously stupid remark from an obviously stupid person. At least for once in his sorry, sordid life, Blago has said something approaching honesty.

January 11, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  20. Gary

That was probably the smartest thing this man has said in years: "I made stupid remarks". Not only is he stupid, he has one of most foul mouths in politics. The sooner he learns how to operate a license plate stamping machine, the better.

January 11, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  21. Carol

He's just stupid, PERIOD!

January 11, 2010 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  22. S Callahan NYS censoring stinks!

Come on CNN....can't you see he is just saying...Hey..I didn't get to travel the world, go to schools in other countries, learn different languages ...nah...translation: I was in a small apt. building, shinning shoes, and workin' my Dad's laundry mat........ no big deal..... unless he is imply that being black always means one has substandered living....hmm

January 11, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  23. Mark

Is that what that fool think being black/african american is? What a foolish fool and an idiot. As for Harry Reid why are people so surprised he said that? He's not the first white person and certainly won't be the last to say such a stupid azz thing. I'm just glad the stupidity of politicians are finally being exposed. And let's not forget about those tea party rallies and sarah palin campaign rallies where those fools make racist comments and death threats to President Obama and no one called them out or said a word about that in the media except Chris Matthews, Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow. Thank God for them/MSNBC.

January 11, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  24. People always say what they mean.....

then they say they mis-spoke to try and cover it up. By the way, can't wait to see Blago in the jail house....wonder who's toy he'll be???

January 11, 2010 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  25. joram joram

OMG, what an embarassment (or further embarassment) to the people of illinois. Maybe there is something in the water after all. Not only did the "elite" in Springfield bankrupt the state, they are also sounding like morons. Woe.

January 11, 2010 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |