January 11th, 2010

Blagojevich: 'Stupid' to say I'm blacker than Obama

(CNN) - Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich is apologizing for telling Esquire Magazine he's "blacker than Barack Obama."

"What I said was stupid, stupid, stupid," he told reporters outside his home Monday.

"I was speaking metaphorically. Obviously I'm not blacker than President Obama," said Blagojevich, who was impeached last year after being accused of trying to sell the Senate seat vacated by President Obama.

In the February edition of Esquire, Blagojevich said Obama was "catapulted in on hope can change, what we hope the guy is …

"What the f***? Everything he's saying's on the teleprompter. I'm blacker than Barack Obama. I shined shoes. I grew up in a five-room apartment. My father had a little laundromat in a black community not far from where we lived. I saw it all growing up," he said.

The governor apologized for his "stupid comments," but said he was expressing "real frustration" that nothing has changed under the Obama administration.

"Am I frustrated? Yes. Was I expressing frustration? Yes. Was that frustration real? Yes. Is it still real? Yes. Was the way I said what I said stupid? Absolutely yes, stupid," Blagojevich said.

Blagojevich last year pleaded not guilty to federal corruption charges. A federal grand jury in April indicted him on 16 felony counts, including racketeering, conspiracy, wire fraud and making false statements to investigators. His trial is slated for later this year.

The embattled ex-governor has maintained his innocence, insisting that "when the full story's heard …. it'll correct itself."

"What helps me get up every morning is, I'm fighting the fight for something much larger than me," Blagojevich said in the interview. "I'm fighting for what is at the basis of what our country is supposed to be, a place where you're presumed innocent, where if in fact you did something wrong, the system plays out in such a way where the truth comes out, not people being forced to lie and being squeezed to lie. If you love your country as I do, this is a fight worth fighting."

Blagojevich appears on NBC's "The Celebrity Apprentice" in March. His wife, Patti, was on the network's "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here" this past summer, lasting 23 days in the Costa Rican jungle before being voted off.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama • Rod Blagojevich
  1. Jim Brown

Let's not forget that all of the Illinois democratic political heavyweights, including Barak Obama, Dick Durbin, Rahm Emanuel and Michael Madigan, endorsed Rod Blagojevich for governor both times he ran for office.

January 11, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  2. Avi Shlomo

That certainly makes you abonified stupido!!

January 11, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  3. Stu-SWFlorida

That's 'cause he is stupid, stupid, STUPID

January 11, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  4. Four and The Door

_____________________________________________________
    I hear ya, bro.

January 11, 2010 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. Jane

Blago used to be stupid, he is stupid, and he will always be stupid. And a crook.

I live in IL so I know.

January 11, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  6. Cynthia

This type of ignorance is way out of hand. So what he is frustrated, who isn't? This idiot sounds to me like he is on drug, for him to start ranting on about the President as he did is pure nonsense. I can't wait for his trial, I hope they lock his stupid A$% up for 50 years.

January 11, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. Traj

White people, "Stop it", just "Stop the ignorance". Yall don't have to be "Stuck on Stupid" forever when it comes to our race.. Geesh!!

January 11, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  8. Shirley In California

What a way to get attention .... just mention Obama and get some. Now, will you please just go away?

January 11, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  9. juge

DUH we all know you are Stupid as Stupid comes!

January 11, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  10. andrew s. rostolder

why is this knuckle head getting any press at all????????????? i guess you need to fill the spaces with something....

January 11, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  11. BillybobTIREDOFFstoopidrethuglicans!

Isn't EVERYthing Blago says "stupid, stupid, stupid?" Pretty much.

January 11, 2010 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  12. Bob in Pa

You have to love this because liberals defined Bill Clinton as the "First "Black President" long before Obama. And now they go nuts because a white man defined himself as black. Hmm, I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it..

January 11, 2010 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  13. Debby

This guy is a moron, but he does speak the truth when it comes to Obama. He really isn't getting anything done other than spending money which we will be taxed to death for this year.

January 11, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  14. Ken Pontac

What an amazing tool.

January 11, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. Expat American

This man is a lunatic.

Crazy as a fox, with a coiffure that has endless body and shine; it just doesn't quit.

This man needs to find himself.

January 11, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. Fed Up

Why is he stupid for saying htat? Clinton claimed he was the first black President.

January 11, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. Rick McDaniel

Well, we already knew that.

January 11, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. Justin

This pathetic self-absorbed weasel isn't worth hearing about anymore. The next time a story runs on this crook, it should be on his prison sentence.

January 11, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  19. Wendy

Isn't he in prison?!

January 11, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  20. T'SAH from Virginia

A SLIP of the LIP will sink a SHIP – you are 'tossed' overboard without a life jacket.................LOSER!

Anyone who knows COLORS could LQQK @ you and can tell YOU are not BLACK.............LOSER!!

You are an idiot and will regret what you said for the rest of your LIFE!!

January 11, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  21. Dominique

This whole thing is turning out to be even more ridiculous than the journalism aspect of it. The comments on the initial story show that more people are like Blagojevich than we think. Why are we still equating race with social characteristics? At first I thought it'd be harmless to make a joke about it, but now it's just sad. Perhaps this country does need to talk about race like Holder suggested instead of sweeping it under a rug and waiting for idiots like Blagojevich to be brave enough and expose his ignorance. And another thing, from the coverage of this, why are people portraying a shoeshiner to be a "less than" job, and furthermore linking blacks to the profession. Clearly the "less than" profession is the politician who is too inconsiderate to understand his own constituents and the law. I never heard of a shoeshiner being fired for selling his "sole" for a quick buck!

January 11, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  22. MikeH

CNN is stupid, stupid, stupid, for trying to make media hay out of this.

January 11, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  23. Joe Cotton

Well said Mr. Blagojevich...now prepare to do time in jail like most black men in america...and be a man about it... you jerk!

January 11, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  24. Matt

He should have said, "I'm slightly more corrupt than Obama."

January 11, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  25. Jake

Hahahha, politicians are becoming more and more stupid. For God sake, what does it accomplishes for one to say I'm blacker than the president of the united States. What difference does it really make if one is blacker or whiter than the president?

If the statement by Blago was a joke, then it wasn't funny, if it was meant to score a point then it didn't score any. If it is for a attention seeking, then he must be really bored. He needs to get a job.

January 11, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |