January 11th, 2010

Democrats rally around Reid

Democrats are dismissing Republican call for Reid to step down .
Democrats are dismissing Republican call for Reid to step down .

Washington (CNN) - The Congressional Black Caucus said Sunday that it had accepted Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's apology for a remark he made about Barack Obama during the 2008 campaign and dismissed calls for the Nevada Democrat to step down.

Earlier in the day, the chairman of the Republican Party and a leading GOP senator had called on Reid to give up his post.

"Over the years, I have had an opportunity to work with Majority Leader Reid," Rep. Barbara Lee, chairwoman of the caucus, said in a statement.

"Senator Reid's record provides a stark contrast to actions of Republicans to block legislation that would benefit poor and minority communities."

Full story

Filed under: Harry Reid
  1. Silence Dogoode

why is the black caucus accepting anything? They were not the one's offended...this is just another play of the race card....it is getting used so much that when real racisom occurs then like the little boy who cried wolf...no one will be listening....and for those woefully ignorant of US history democrats are the one than ran on a racist platform. Democrats decided to decimate the stregnth of the black community by busing, and democrats were the ones who created more pverty and misery by grouping the poor and minorities in community housing projects.....you probably won't print this anyway....

January 11, 2010 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  2. Cecilia Lewis

this is unbelievable – it is not ok for Sen. Harry Reid to state a fact about dialect and the Republicans are up in arms in the defense of our President – but they are remarkably silent when the tea baggers call the President a Nazi – a Socialist and threaten to bring loaded guns to the next tea bags party. Give me a break
    I am from the South and I certainly use my Southern comfortable lazy voice with friends and family – but use my professional Southern voice when I am in a professional setting
    get a life

January 11, 2010 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  3. frank

Why should Reid even apologise? He simply stated a fact. We are so PC that one cannot even state a fact. (This is not from a Reid supportrd.)

January 11, 2010 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  4. Justen

Double standard, since they screamed for Trent Lott to resign over the same thing.

January 11, 2010 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  5. AmFem

Hey Republicans! You know darn well that Barack Obama was a more electable candidate because he connected with all races. Mixed race parents, raised by his white grandparents in Hawaii. I seriously wonder if he would have been elected if he did not have such a white upbringing. And... Yes, Pres. Obama does change his dialect and verbiage slightly when addressing a black audience. So does Michael Steele (remember the fried chicken comment?). George Bush even developed a strong southern "twang" when he would speak to a southern audience.

Anyway, we know what the left is doing. We see through the charade. They're trying to SHIFT THE FOCUS FROM HEALTHCARE REFORM!!! TYPICAL!!!

January 11, 2010 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  6. Constance

Typical Democratic Party "Elitist" mentality. They know best so shut up sit down and do as they say. What a major mistake Obama has been. I can truly say that I really am angry at Sen. McCain and all those who advised him to pick the wacko Palin as a running mate. Had it not been for that ill advised choice I am sure that Democrats would not have won this race. They don't have anyone's best interest in mind, let alone the country’s. Liberalism has caused this country to systematically breakdown, like ailing symptoms that take over the body when it is sick. This country is in major trouble and all those in the drivers seat are asleep.

January 11, 2010 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  7. mike

cut me a break I am tired how race is used as a political tool to get
    sympathy for the real races who like to hide behind others and say
    they treat every the same the old saying goes action speaks louder then words the republican party should follow that statement but that will
    never happen because there is no money in it

January 11, 2010 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  8. DAVID AGUILAR

Incoming Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott issued a written apology over his comment that the United States would have avoided "all these problems" if then-segregationist Strom Thurmond had been elected president in 1948.

THE STATEMENT ABOVE IS FROM CNN.COM/ INSIDE POLITICS

IF THEIR IS NO DOUBLE STANDARD IN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY, THEN WHY DID THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY ASK FOR LOTT'S HEAD ON A PLATE, AND NOW ONE OF THEIR OWN BASICALLY CALLED OUR PRESIDENT AN UNCLE TOM AND ALL IS FORGIVEN.

THE TRUE DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF JFK IS DEAD, I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THIS 21ST CENTURY DEMOCRATIC PARTY IS.

January 11, 2010 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  9. proud conservative

go ahead and rally Dems because in November he will be voted out of office anyway!

January 11, 2010 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  10. John Boehner is like Cleopatra, only he bathes in Cheetos

When the real leaders of the republican party, Fox, Glenn Beck, and Rush Limbaugh, continue to spew their racist hate, the GOP sits there, and says nothing because they are afraid. When the tea baggers carry their racist signs, the republicans say nothing because they are afraid.

As I recall, they have said democrats are racist if they point out when the republicans are being racist. The pubs are really good at playing the race card.

January 11, 2010 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  11. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

We got your back Harry. And why won't Michael Steele just shut up.

January 11, 2010 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  12. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Steele said that Reid should resign and compared this to what Trent Lott said during Thurman's birthday party. These are similar but different stories. Lott didn't direct it against any one person while Reid did and asked for forgivness from the person he offended (in this case, it is the President). Another difference is that Lott's statment was out in the open when it was said. Reid's was privately between himself and other people. One last difference is that we knew about Lott's mistake instantly while it took over a year for Reid's statement to be made public.

January 11, 2010 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  13. Blutarski

This particular Democrat is not rallying around Reid. I am shocked at the obvious racism inherent in that remark. The fact that he seemed ok with making the comment in the first place, shows that he has deep seated racist views. I think that the same Democrats in Congress who demanded Trent Lotts resignation should not be supporting Reid. This hyprocisy must end.

January 11, 2010 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  14. John Boehner is like Cleopatra, only he bathes in Cheetos

It is time for the black republican senators to stand up to Harry Reid and . . . and . . . never mind, there aren't any.

Maybe the republican senators who are members of the Sons of the Confederacy will speak out against this.

January 11, 2010 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  15. Reggie

Don't you all remember when Republican Trent Lott made a similar comment? He was forced to resign. So, if a democrat makes a racial comment, it's not big deal. Is there a double standar\d here?

January 11, 2010 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  16. R in Maine

He is forthcoming, a decent human being, two things that the Republicans do not have going for them. Stay with them. This turmoil created by the newsies has no importance or impact on your ability to do the health insurance reform.

January 11, 2010 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  17. donna knight

Regarding Harry Reid: In my opinion the difference between how the democrats and republicans deal with verbal blunders is most democrats will try to correct their errors and make it right with those offended. Most republicans do not recognize they have made a blunder and try to capitalize on the event. One leader of the GOP has set in writing his wish for the President to fail. I would like an apology from a leader in this country that not only hopes, but works for the failure of our president, democrat or republican. To me, this is the same as saying he hopes our country fails.

January 11, 2010 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  18. Jeff in VA

I will state upfront that I am not a fan of Reid, current Democratic Party leadership in general or the socialistic legislative agenda they have presented in the past year. That said, Reid's statements were the absolute truth, indisputable facts, regardless of context. That is the problem with our PC mentality. A simple fact is though, that no matter what one says, it could "offend" someone, somewhere, sometime. I just wish we could "call" everything the way we see them as long as those statements are "facts" without any spin interjected. So, do I think Reid should resign for his comments? NO, based on the above facts and just on those facts. Should he resign? YES based on past events forcing Repubs to resign for even less offensive or context twisted fact based comments (ex: Trent Lott). No free passes until we stop throwing people under the bus because of their political affiliation, among other things.

January 11, 2010 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  19. Stu-SWFlorida

Like McCain said... I'll do anything to block the President... and so will his party. It galls me to see what the GOP is pulling. Instead on focusing on getting America to be the UNITED States again, their primary goal is to take back anything they can get their grubby little hands on.
    It's time to step aside and let the other guys take the reins. You had your shot for the last 8 years and look what it got us.
    It's tough to pull ourselves out of the barrel if the GOP just keeps slapping us back down with the likes of these moronic games. I'm embarrassed to say I was once a Repub. So glad I switched!!
    Steele flip flops more than Halibut Palin! He's the one that should be stepping down.

January 11, 2010 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  20. observer

Senator Reid' s comments will soon be forgotten. Who on this forum remembers the fact that all the governors who fought for segregation in the 50's and 60's were democrats? My friends and family scoff at that truth.

January 11, 2010 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  21. Ronald E Miller

I think the democrats are smart not to listen to the party of no. This is the only thing that steele wante is to disrupt. mike steele is an idiot and anyone who listens to him is not to far behind.

January 11, 2010 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  22. El Kababa

Conservatives don't give a crap whether or not Reid used the word "Negro" in private conversation. This is just something to criticize, and criticizing is what they do. The Republicans who are criticizing Reid routinely evaluate personal qualities such as skin color, accent, grammar, beauty, etc. when evaluating candidates because those qualities make a difference. We all know that.

Republicans had a choice between being (1) the loyal opposition or just (2) the opposition. They chose the latter. I don't know what Obama will be doing at 2:43 PM this afternoon, but I do know that a Republican will call a press conference to criticize it at 2:45.

January 11, 2010 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  23. Vote For NONE OF The Above

This is pathetic...
    While our country; our jobs; our economy; our identity; our language; our homes and other properties that we have worked for all of our lives are being sold to the highest bidder (as long as they are an illegal); etc!!! And all our politicians want to do is bicker like little three year olds! He hit me; he stole my candy; he turned the channel on me; he called me a name! WHY DID WE EVER VOTE THESE INEPT; INCOMPETENT; GREEDY; CHILDISH FOOLS INTO OFFICE???

January 11, 2010 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  24. Mike Syracuse, NY

Steele is right, there is a huge double standard here. By the way, isn't it about time that the Congressional Black Caucus admit white members; or is outrage about organizations that restrict membership by race limited to white country clubs?

January 11, 2010 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  25. bob in Iraq

While I am a republician, I wish both side would stop this and work on the important issue, I don't like Harry Reid policy however I don't believe he meant anything bad with his comment.

January 11, 2010 08:52 am at 8:52 am |