January 12th, 2010

Cue the Senate race spellcheck

ALT TEXT

A new ad from Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley - the Democratic candidate to replace the late Sen. Ted Kennedy - misspells her home state of Massachusetts. (Photo Credit: Coakley Campaign)

Updated: 5:16 p.m.

Filed under: Martha Coakley • Massachusetts • Popular Posts • Scott Brown
  1. PT

Looks like she would be perfect for Washington... Her attention to detail mirrors that of most every Senator (both parties included) in trying to fix the nations problems.

January 12, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  2. Matt

I hope that people in MassachuseTTS vote for Brown. Steal the Dem line, "I believe in change."

January 12, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  3. PHX

This just proves how stupid democrats are! Amazing!

January 12, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  4. Mark A. Eden

It would be nice if they could at least spell Massachusetts correctly.

January 12, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. John in Tampa

Nobody can spell any more, except maybe me, at least most of the time.

In the 1980s my daughter came home from school with the 'right to read' program embedded. I was glad that she took to books, but what could I say against the then-current teaching wisdom? And against internet abbreviations, and against Twitter? Happily, long out of school now, she has come to appreciate precision in her communications. But it may still be too late for civilization.

January 12, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. Woodsong

The numbskulls in Taxachusetts will probably vote for her anyway!

January 12, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  7. Jentastic

How is this news exactly?

January 12, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  8. SB for MA

I like Scott Brown. He's a fairly moderate guy with experience in the state senate. Hope we can give him a chance.

VOTE FOR SCOTT BROWN!

January 12, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  9. Obama Victim

I have long maintained dumbocraps are idiots........thanks for the confirmation

January 12, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  10. MAngeline

Great attention to detail from the woman who will probably be the next senator from Massachusetts. It is my fervent hope she will be a one-termer, and we will have a better slate of candidates next time around. I can't even get myself motivated to go out and vote.

January 12, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. Nichole, Tulsa, OK

To her credit, Massachusetts is one of the harder ones to spell... in fact, I just double checked to make sure I typed it out right in this comment! :P

Although, still not as funny as the teabagger poster I saw that said "Jesus Chirst".

January 12, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. BKS

Nothing will ever be the same!

January 12, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  13. Reggie

In any other state, Scott Brown would easily win. However, Massachusetts is too liberal for it's own good, and will foolishly elect Coakley. What a shame!!!

January 12, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  14. jonl

Is this really news... what a joke

January 12, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  15. Jon

do you expect better from them?

January 12, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. Ken

Is this really news?

January 12, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  17. Stevo

Let's get real here. She didn't misspell the state name. The advertising agencies copy writer misspelled the name.

It's not like she stood in front of a classroom of kids and spelled "Tomatoe". (For those who can't remember, that would be Dan Quayle – GOP VP).

January 12, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  18. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

BIG DEEL

January 12, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  19. Mike in NYC

As a young lad, I mastered the spelling of "Massachusetts" before moving on to that ultimate challenge, "Mississippi."

January 12, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  20. Scott

This is definitely NOT news. It's called a typo. Your headline makes it out to be a Dan Quayle moment.

January 12, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  21. John MacDaniel, Huntsville AL

With the Federal Government having created an approved abbreviations list for the several states and territories, including the District of Columbia, back in the good old days of the 1940's, it still gets me that the media, and everyone else can NOT get the fact that "MA" will get your mail to the correct state of Massachusetts.

The real reason why we can not get a lot of the spellings in our own country, is that they are transliterations of language from those people from whom we took the country from in the first place. But then it was the 'media' and wall street types that created the fiasco that seems to have a 'decade' start with the digit ZERO and end in the digit NINE, and have the audacity to claim that they have created a new way to show TEN digits. Even little children know that the FIRST digit of anything related to dates is the number ONE.

January 12, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. Beth

The misspelling is obviously part of a vast right wing conspiracy.

January 12, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  23. Anthony

So what.
    Do candidates type copy for their own ads?

January 12, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  24. Gary, Los Angeles

How smart the Democrats are!

January 12, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  25. Kenneth Atcheson

I would not vote for a candidate who lacked the correct spelling of my state or who did not go over the spelling with the add firm.

January 12, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |