January 12th, 2010

Obama issues statement about Haiti earthquake

Washington (CNN) - The White House issued the following statement from President Obama after a major earthquake struck Tuesday just off the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince :

“My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have been affected by this earthquake. We are closely monitoring the situation and we stand ready to assist the people of Haiti.”

Related: 7.0 earthquake hits Haiti sparking tsunami watch

Full coverage: Haiti earthquake

Filed under: Haiti • President Obama
  1. Look to God...that's real help

Yes, lots of prayer. God wants first position and will settle for nothing less. Remember..he said He is a jealous God!

January 12, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  2. tom

May God have mercy on the people of Haiti and on each one of us !

January 12, 2010 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  3. Justin

Didn't we have a 6.5 in North California? Hope everyone in both quakes are doing okay.

January 12, 2010 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  4. Keepin It Real

My prayers are with the people of Haiti

January 12, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  5. GGG

Obama could you stand by and be ready to help and assist the American people too!! just asking??

January 12, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  6. Yeah, President Obama

Of course he did, because he's the president that is on top of things. He can go to meetings, and issue statements at the same time. I'm being over the top, but I love this president. Seriously.

January 12, 2010 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  7. Ridgeway

"...and we will be providing health and medical care to anyone who needs and is currently a tax paying ....."

January 12, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  8. Frank, San Diego

The U.S. should immediately mount a large-scale humanitarian relief effort. And it should lead a longer-term initiative to rebuilt Haitian infrastructure and bring the country into the 21st century.

Need a reason? Haiti is a major source of illegal immigration into the U.S. and its criminal gangs are second only to Columbia's in the amount of damage they do to our interests through drug trading.

When you have an opportunity to do well by doing good, you should take it. Sadly, nature has given the U.S. that opportunity

January 12, 2010 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  9. Martine

I have heard from family and friends back home that the damage is extensive. I can't imagine what it feels like to be there. I am still waiting on news and trying to get in touch with my father and other loved ones.

January 12, 2010 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |