January 13th, 2010

RNC members mulling resolution against Steele

RNC members are mulling a resolution against chairman Michael Steele.
RNC members are mulling a resolution against chairman Michael Steele.

Washington (CNN) – Some members of the Republican National Committee are considering drafting a resolution that would ask chairman Michael Steele to stop promoting to his new book and focus on leading the party.The resolution could also demand that Steele turn over proceeds from the book over to the RNC.

If members move forward with the idea, the measure would be introduced at the committee winter meeting in Hawaii later this month.

But no resolution has been written, and it's not clear how much support such a maneuver would have on the committee. Several members had not even heard of the proposal until they were asked about it by CNN on Wednesday.

David Norcross, a longtime committee member from New Jersey and one of the people involved in the discussions, said that at this point, the proposal is just "a suggestion flying around" via e-mail. Still, Norcross said, "I will take a look at it."

"It's a way forward to get us beyond this controversy," he said.

Steele has been taking heat for a series of off-message remarks made during the media tour for his book, most notably his remark that Republicans aren't likely to take back the House in November. That comment infuriated GOP staffers and communications strategists on Capitol Hill who later said they were not consulted on the book or its contents.

Filed under: Michael Steele • RNC • Uncategorized
  1. sharon

maybe he should also inform little palin on a few topics.....while he is still there.........is he leaving soon?
    maybe she will too.......I wonder if she's checked out how tx. is getting along with all that ,"we do not want to be apart of the US thing".....

January 13, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. k

But I thought capitalism was good? And if you have to consider doing this, just to get your leader to "lead you"....isn;t that a pretty good sign you need a new leader?

January 13, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. VAisforLovers

Steele is a joke... he's always been self serving. He's fully utilzing his position as the RNC token. What's the problem?

January 13, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. Libertarian

Wonder how much of our TAX DOLLARS will be used to help fund this junket to Hawaii? Why can't they ever hold a conference someplace where they will actually accomplish something? How about East Podunk, Iowa? That might mean no leisure activities and 5 Star hotels for tax payers to foot the bill. I know...I know....this is the RNC and SURE they don't use ANY taxpayer dollars. LOL

January 13, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  5. Warren B

Who cares, this wind bag has no credibility anyway!

January 13, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  6. dak

I'm not a Republican (as I HAVE a brain) so I really don't have a horse in this race, but as an American citizen who cringes everytime Michael Steele opens his mouth . . . .I have to say I hope the RNC gives this guy the boot!

January 13, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  7. chelle

So Sarah can write a book but Steele can't? I thought the GOP was the party of personal liberties??? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

January 13, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  8. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He spoke the truth that hurt people's delusions of the future. That is one of the reasons they are upset.

January 13, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. Baby Boomer

Oh please. They need to just shut up and get to work. Do something constructive for a change...

January 13, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. C Spurgeon

Keep him. He is good for the party!

January 13, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  11. Dean

So Nice to see them turning on their own. The GOP is done stick a fork in them.

January 13, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  12. Duck Fallas

Michael Steele is offensive to African Americans.

January 13, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. Susan, Macedon New York

Have they run out of Democrats to slam? The GOP is going after it's own! You go, guys! Maybe you'll wipe yourselves out as a party, then this country can get some important things done without your obstructionism!

January 13, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  14. Grog in Ohio

I find it odd how Republicans can't seem to fathom that a person can walk and chew gum at the same time. The same single minded dimness was leveled against the current president for taking on too many crises at once. Crises, largely created by same said single tasking Republicans, by the way.

January 13, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  15. shirley-atl

It's really okay with me if they continue to let Mikey do whatever he wants to do to make the repubs look like the hateful, small tent party that they are. He's always good for a laugh, if nothing else.

January 13, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. nomorepoliticsplease

okay, I know that this is off-subject with the article, but I was hoping all of you bloggers could help me out here. I am confused, but over the past couple of days, I have been reading these blogs, and I have come to the realization that I don't know who I am anymore. I used to think that I was a liberal democrat, but all of these people are saying that liberals (and democrats as a group) are stupid, illiterate, lazy, drug abusing, Oprah watching, welfare collecting...... (I could go on). I am what I consider to be a fairly intelligent individual. (certainly not illiterate) I am active, employed full time at a reputible company that does business nation-wide, and have only occasionally caught bits and pieces of Oprah on vacation days from work. I have proudly served in the United States Army. I have been happily married for 16 years and counting, am raising an intelligent well adjusted teenager, and regardless of how bad things have gotten for us at times, have never even considered taking a dime of public assistance. So am I a rupublican? well, these presumably well informed bloggers would have me believe that republican folks are hateful, racist, rich, hypocritical, power-hungry, religious zealots. (none of which I am, either) I think there is a need for welfare, but do not suppport a system that allows people to make it a career choice. I don't like the way large coporations have so much political power in this country. I believe that a lot of these career politicians are truly trying to kill the middle class completely. I am concerned about the state of the American family, but I also don't believe that ANYONE has the right to tell me how to live and what (or who) to believe in .........and laws and policies should NOT be made from the pulpit. At any rate, whichever side I start to think I identify with, there are always a lot of bloggers on here who say that side is the bad one. What is one to believe? I have lost faith now that we are a country that can stand united. Common sense seems to have flown out the window, and no body seems interested in just sitting and debating, and coming to a civil common ground that will be best OVERALL for AMERICA. Perhaps I am just too idealistic for my own good. There. There's your new political party, America, the Idealists.

January 13, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  17. Orange Curtain, CA

Can you say scapegoat? The GOP is a mess right now with old stale ideas that are no longer relevant.

January 13, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  18. buckwheat

Why not give him a raise.That is what the Dems do when the mess hits the fan. Either create a crisis or make one up. Let him have a break on his taxes or better yet don't pay them.

January 13, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  19. lil

You repub please keep him and let him please keep running you party.

January 13, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  20. Charlie in Maine

Wait a minute here. I thought you were the folks for free enterprise and unbridled capitalism? Firing Steele is not the solution. He is doing his best to sell your ideas (as well as his book). Maybe you all should look into some new ideas.........cause if his book is more popular than the party you are in trouble.

January 13, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  21. EDDIE

I guess the african american experiment is not working as planned for the GOP.Nice try though.I wonder if they realize the reason Obama won is because he is intelligent and he actually cares about ALL Americans and their future.That is something the GOP can't say.

January 13, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  22. unemployed by Obama

I wont vote for another republican till this party sees the light and changes its way of doing business and gets rid of Steele. I also wont vote democrates either because they are full of NON-patriot muslim loving idiots who cannot see the light either because of the Obama smoke screen.

January 13, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  23. super trampped

GOP, just come out and say it......you're just pissed that the house n* isn't obeying like he should.

i say, if PitBull Barbie from Alaska can be bold enough to "Go Rogue", then so can your token black guy....

January 13, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. mjm

Have you ever notice that there are no stories about the DNC chairman?

Do they even have one worth mentioning?

January 13, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. Silence Dogoode

Leave the man alone...you are acting like those foolish democrats...

January 13, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |