January 14th, 2010

Massachusetts Senate race now a toss-up, analysts say

Republican Scott Brown is now in a toss-up Senate race in Massachusetts, according to two non-partisan political analysts.

Washington (CNN) – The Massachusetts Senate race between Democrat Martha Coakley and Republican Scott Brown is now a tossup, according to two respected, non-partisan analysts.

The Cook Political Report, published by analyst Charlie Cook, and the Rothenberg Political Report, published by analyst Stuart Rothenberg, both said Thursday that the race between Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley and Massachusetts State Sen. Scott Brown to be a toss-up.

National political trends are playing a major role in the race, according to the Rothenberg Political Report.

"[T]his race has become about change, President Obama and Democratic control of all of the levers of power in Washington, D.C.," it said.

"This race call is one of the toughest we've had in a long time," the Cook Political Report said Thursday: While history suggests a Democratic win by Coakley, "the non-quantitative arguments are quite strong" in Republican Scott Brown's favor.

A non-partisan poll released this past weekend by The Boston Globe indicated that Coakley held a 15-point advantage over Brown, but other surveys, including several partisan polls, have suggested the race is much closer.

Voters go to the polls on January 19 in a special election to replace the late Sen. Ted Kennedy.

Filed under: Martha Coakley • Massachusetts • Scott Brown • Senate
  1. Robin

Brown will win. Coakley will demand recount after recount and will refuse to allow him to be seated.

Democratic politics at their best.

January 14, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  2. WMiller

If the dems can't keep a seat previously held by Ted Kennedy in one of the most liberal states in the country, even they will admit the November elections spell doom for them.

January 14, 2010 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  3. Albo58

Massachusetts hasn't had a competent or respectable Senator in decades...isn't it about time? Vote Brown!

January 14, 2010 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  4. Jimmy James

This is the beginning of the end of the democrats control. Even if she wins it will send a clear message to any democrat that a vote for this healthcare bill will probably cost them their job. This should have been a landslide but this healthcare bill by itself is hurting democrats. Massachusetts is a deep blue state loaded with libs and that should show the libs in this country that Obamas election wasn't a referendum to make a left turn in this country but that Bush did a horrible job. Of course the president admits public support is against this bill but as a typical liberal, he knows better than us. We are too stupid to care for ourselves. I hope Brown wins so we can get a real healthcare bill not loaded with special interests like it is now.

January 14, 2010 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  5. liberal wingnut

America needs to wake up. Nothing further said.

January 14, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  6. Rob in Detroit Mi.

It stays Democrat.

January 14, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  7. mjm

__________________

And CNN can't help themselves...they must bring up a poll that's 2-3 weeks old. Why don't they just use the poll in September that had a 30 point difference? Try reporting some facts for a change CNN.

The last two polls had this race within 1-2 points. Rasmussen had Brown 1 point behind on 1/11.

January 14, 2010 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  8. all the news that's fit to omit

A toss up indeed and Barry I beg you to come visit my state, I look forward to calling you a liar as you are one and as a non-union worker who will have to pay the tax for 7 years why they DON'T, I WANT THE CHANCE TO BOO YOU COWARD.

After Jokely loses, it will add to your embarrasment of "rooting for something" and losing (see olympics, VA and NJ races, health care and now MASS).

You are a fraud and I am not being "transparent" about my disgust for you and your lies.

January 14, 2010 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  9. m smith

if you let this repo win you will rue the day. Health care for the masses now.

January 14, 2010 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  10. SHL, TX

Go Scott Brown!!! I hope the people of Massachusetts understand and also have witnessed that "absolute power corrupts absolutely"!!

January 14, 2010 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  11. all the news that's fit to omit

A toss up indeed and Barry I beg you to come visit my state, I look forward to calling you a liar as you are one and as a non-union worker who will have to pay the tax for 7 years while they DON'T, I WANT THE CHANCE TO BOO YOU COWARD.

Non-partisan and the Boston Globe are you serious CNN, every one else has it close with Brown surging, but what does a liberal fish wrap know about the truth.

Dodd out, check, Kennedy's seat, check, Reid in November, check and Barry see you in 2012, check BUDDY.

January 14, 2010 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  12. VOTE SCOTT BROWN

SCOTT BROWN is the better candidate. He's smarter, experienced and he's local. Coakley represents Washington politics. Her only credentials is that she's running as an Obama crony. Please MA, vote with your brains!

(the Boston Globe is a joke)

January 14, 2010 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  13. annie against biased news

Now that obama has 'favored' the unions in the health care plan, the unions will be in MA causing chaos and mayhem in the election. I'm sure obama has already sent in acorn.

WHY DOES obama WANT TO DESTROY OUR COUNTRY?????????

January 14, 2010 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  14. Mike

January 14, 2010 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  15. Frank J. De Mary

GO, Scott Brown!!!!!!!

January 14, 2010 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  16. Mike

The whole country will be watching to see what happens. I cannot wait to see the outcome. Let's see if Massachusetts wants "improvement" on this whole "vote for change" platform.

January 14, 2010 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  17. grayhair56

Our hope is that Brown takes the seat. The airheads, incompetents, communists, and terrorists in DC must get the message that we want them out of our lives. Would be sweet if Brown represented the Constitution Party, instead of the R's.

January 14, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  18. Stortz

Look, if a Democrat can screw it up it WILL BE screwed up… Just look at the Healthcare Bill, Chopped Phooey!

January 14, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  19. Fitz in Texas

If I lived in Massachusetts I sure would be voting for Scott Brown. Come on Massachusetts, make this county proud and vote for Scott Brown.

January 14, 2010 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  20. Debbie

How could voting for change include returning the Senate majority back to the Republicans? Losing this Senate seat to Republican would put a halt to any change the people voted for last November!

January 14, 2010 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  21. Bill5

I gotta say I have been watching this one very closely and Scott Brown impresess me. I am an independant and I dont vote party. I am not happy with how the country is going right now and from what I see neither is alot of the country. The people in power now dont seem to care. If I remember correctly they work for us and do what is best for us not what they want. Scott has run and exelent campaign with no bashing while Martha coakley is not doing the same. Go Scott Brown you have my vote

January 14, 2010 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  22. Sandra Landis

Dear Scott,

I live in Texas, am a Republican, an American, a Patriot, a seniior citizen, and I believe in you. I want you to win the race against Coackley. Please, for our sake, meaning the American people, work as hard as you can to win. Use every minute you have to campaign, as tired as you may be, because your vote against the health care bill, and your caring for the American people is worth it.

I hope my very little bit of encouragement from Texas will spur you on when you are your tiredest. Do you need money for campaigning. Let me know.

I want to whopp and holler next Wed. when you are the winner.

Sandra Landis

January 14, 2010 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  23. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The Boston Globe is anything but non-partisan. Rasmussan had this a tossup for a week now. In a debate a few days ago Coakley had the nerve to say that there are no longer Al Queda or Taliban in Afghanistan. So what is killing our troops, old age?

January 14, 2010 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  24. haren

I don't understand What is wrong with this country.
    you know I think less litrate people in india are smart voters than
    american voters.
    Give me break, for selecting a candidate who poses naked in the magazine, where is the family value of republican selecting such candidate to run for senate.
    Massachusette you people are most educated voters in this country with institution like Harward and MIT.
    Please use your brain we don't want another NO in the senate.

January 14, 2010 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  25. Reggie

Most the voters don't even now the democratic candidates name. They merely voting for her because she is a democrat. PRETTY SAD. However, the momentum is cleary on Scott Browns side. Hope he pulls it out in that liberal state.

January 14, 2010 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |