January 14th, 2010

Powell: 'Very impressed' with Obama administration

The president, pictured here talking with the U.S. ambassador to Haiti, 'seems to have everything under control,' Colin Powell said Thursday.

Washington (CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell praised the Obama administration's initial response to the devastating earthquake in Haiti Thurday, and said that the international community needs to be prepared to provide aid for years to come.

Powell told CNN's Wolf Blitzer he is "very impressed" with the way the Obama administration has handled the immediate aftermath of the earthquake so far. Powell said he would help out if he is asked to, but said that the president did the right thing by asking former presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush to pitch in.

"I think the Commander-in-chief, he seems to have everything under control," Powell said.

Powell spoke emotionally about his personal connection to Haiti, and described how he felt seeing the images of the presidential palace in ruins.

"It hit me very deeply. I've been in that palace. I've been to negotiations in that palace and it's a beautiful building," Powell said. "To see it collapse - and when you realize what that meant to the rest of the city - it struck me deeply, and my heart immediately went out to the Haitian people who have suffered so much."

Filed under: Colin Powell • Haiti • Obama administration • President Obama
  1. Proud to be a Republican

Powell is an idiot!!!!

January 14, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  2. conservative

Powell would say that ! Take it with a grain of salt!

January 14, 2010 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  3. Albo58

Well of course Powell was going to praise this President, duh! Matter of fact, if you ask Powell, he'll probably tell you that the last year under this President has been a "historic" success! The good General sold his creditability when he voted for this inept charlatan because of his race instead of his qualifications or lack thereof to hold this office!

January 14, 2010 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  4. Peter s

A great statesman and a servant of this Nation has spoken!!

January 14, 2010 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  5. guest

Colin's a good man. Too bad he never entered politics as a Republican leader. I'd feel a lot better with him rather than Palin and the rest of the wanna-be-president pack.

January 14, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  6. ItIsMe

You're still a class act, Mr. Secretary...

January 14, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  7. J.T.

Spoken by a true, respected American Citizen

January 14, 2010 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  8. m smith

Colin is another classy guy who understands the importance of getting aid to these people. I wish more repos where as open and careing.

January 14, 2010 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  9. Michael

Thus speaks a true American statesman.
    What a difference from that maniac Robertson and his shameful cynicism in taking his own obsession with evil and transferring it upon anyone different from himself.
    Which one of these embodies the virtues of the Good Samaritan? Hint: it's not the one ranting incessantly about his religion.

January 14, 2010 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  10. HaitianGirl

The POTUS, his administration and the other helping countries impressed me too. I am Haitian stuck in the immigration limbo so I can't go back right now. I want to say thank you to all that help.

Obama...you rock!!!

January 14, 2010 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  11. really?

For years I wanted Powell to run for president. But his comments are makeing me rethink his competency.

January 14, 2010 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  12. Obama mama

The headline is misleading. Powell is impressed with Obama's initial reaction to Haiti, not his overspending, government take-over and silly ideological policies.

January 14, 2010 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  13. Hammerer

Golly gee, wonder why!

January 14, 2010 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  14. George

Big change from a village idiot (Bush ) and a warmonger ( Cheney)
    Colin Powell is a respectable man with valid comments ,who fought for this country.

January 14, 2010 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  15. jd

This has been handled as well as the tsunami and Obama deserves credit

January 14, 2010 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  16. The General Is Right

I really like General Powell and will do my part to give to the people of Haiti. For the record this is not a partisan subject. As Americans we all need to dig deep in any resources we have, and help others in need. That's what this great country is about–support to others in their time of need.

Go America–Help Haiti!

January 14, 2010 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  17. Doe Hall

President Obama is doing a fantastic job. He truly has a heart for people. I'm very disgusted with those, like Rush Limbaugh, who would try to paint the President's efforts to help as political. What a sad human being.

January 14, 2010 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  18. TOTUS 4 PRESIDENT

Pay no attention to the RINO behind the thinly veiled political curtain.

January 14, 2010 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  19. Kathy, MA

I'm very impressed with President Obama period.

Obama/Biden 2012

January 14, 2010 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  20. Michele Westminster, CO

Mr. Powell you are an honorable man......wish more political folks had your honesty!

January 14, 2010 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  21. sara

This is a sad time for any 'human being", or a child of God.

January 14, 2010 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  22. Denna

Thank you Mr. Powell. It is nice to see President Obama get the praise he deserves. The usual Republican tactic is to criticize him, one way or another, no matter what he does. God Bless President Obama and the U.S.A.

January 14, 2010 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  23. jrzshor

and what did he think about the pres "quick" action on the undies bomber?

January 14, 2010 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  24. A true American

I absolutely agree with Colin Powell. President Obama is doing an excellent job of handling the situation in Haiti. Just like he is doing an excellent job of handling the huge mess the Bush Administration left us in. Thank You Mr President.. You will have my vote in 2012 also.

January 14, 2010 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  25. unemployed by Obama

Impressed with what, Obama lies about jobs then spends our tax dollars trying to be savior and rebuild a foreign country. Sounds a little racists to me that Obama is spending our tax dollars as our economy is going down the tube and he spends it on look who.

What About America Obama?

January 14, 2010 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |