January 16th, 2010

Ex-Red Sox star slams Democrat for Yankees quip

Former Red Sox ace Curt Schilling blasted Martha Coakley Saturday after the Democrat told a Boston radio talk show host that Schilling, a Republican, is a Yankees fan.

Washington (CNN) - Former Red Sox ace Curt Schilling blasted Martha Coakley Saturday after the Massachusetts Democratic Senate hopeful told a Boston radio talk show host that Schilling, a Republican, is a Yankees fan.

This is a serious charge in "Red Sox Nation": Schilling is a part of baseball lore as the pitcher who battled through pain with a bloody ankle in 2004 to defeat the Yankees in Game Six of the American League Championship Series.

"I've been called a LOT of things," Schilling wrote on his blog at 1:06 a.m. ET. "But never, and I mean never, could anyone ever make the mistake of calling me a Yankee fan. Well, check that, if you didn't know what the hell is going on in your own state maybe you could…."

Schilling, who considered running for the Senate seat, is backing GOP nominee Scott Brown in Tuesday's special election to replace the late Sen. Edward Kennedy.

Coakley quickly recanted her assertion after host Dan Rea challenged her on the statement in the Friday interview. A campaign spokesman told CNN that Coakley simply failed to deliver on the joke.

"Curt Schilling has been involved in a lot of strike outs over time," the spokesman said. "I guess Martha whiffed on that joke."

Follow Mark Preston on Twitter @prestoncnn

1. The Lady

Sorry to bust your bubble Schilling but I am not a Yankee fan either, what should happen to me now? Get over it, she has a right to be or not to be a Yankee fan and she choses not to be.

January 16, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  2. normajean

In reading these comments, I am surprised at the number of "Fans" who have decided to vote Repub.because of some ball player. Well, you can just say GOODBYE to your health plan because the Repubs have no intention of letting it pass. ANY VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN IS A VOTE AGAINST THE HEALTH PLAN AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK.

January 16, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  3. BillD

Martha, Martha, Martha....

Where do I start? She clearly is out of touch with electorate. She doesn't want to shake hands out in the cold at Fenway Park, she thinks that there are no terrorists in Afghanistan, she doesn't know who Curt Schilling is, her campaign ads can even spell Massachusetts correctly, she has run one of the worst political campaigns in the history of American politics as she loses over 30 points in the polls in less than 2 months,....

It is time to send a message to Obama and the rest of the Democrats that Massachusetts (check out the spelling Martha) only has 37 percent registered Democrats and the rest of the population isn't buying the negative campaigning by Martha.

January 16, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. Eva from Tampa

The Republicans will throw out any mouthpiece. Mass. citizens realize this is ridiculous rhetoric and will support Coakley.

January 16, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. MWilliams,MD

I have been a strong supporter of the Massachusetts Democratic Party for more than 53 years. I voted for the Kennedys and later Obama. I believe that I have only made one bad vote in 53 years....my last one. I initially was certain my vote was going to Coakley......very unsure at this time. Surely to God we had someone better than this lady. I don't care about Curt or anyone else.......this is about the election that is very important to the country. For the first time in 53 years in not missing a Democratic vote.....I am 80% positive I am going to Mr. Brown.
    MWilliams, MD

January 16, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  6. Jack

She was only joking!!! This is nothing but a GOP smoke and mirrors show.

January 16, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  7. J

This is all just huff and puff. A non-issue. The dems will keep this seat. They're too corrupt not to.

January 16, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  8. Tim Hooksett NH

Curt Shilling was also the pitchman for G W Bush. We know all too well how that turned out. Just because he was a great pitcher does not make him an expert on public policy If I stumped for Bush I would be inclined to keep my mouth shut as I would still be ashamed

January 16, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  9. Right wing "looser"

But wait. What does Joe the Plumber think about this? Seriously, do the Republicans have anyone with any brains speaking on their behalf? Rush Limbaugh? Pat Robertson? Anyone who decides to vote for Brown based solely on her comment about Schilling is an idiot.

January 16, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  10. Joan

Curt Shilling is a loser just like McCain who he supported. We know only to well about McCain here in Arizona. He doesn't care about the 40,000 Americans who die every year because they don't have health insurance. McCain never did anything about health care over the last eight years and now he does everything to stop it. Every other nation has affordable health care and we should have it to. McCain supported money going to Iraq to build schools and hospitals but NOW he just can't support health care for the American people. Like I said he is a loser just like Schilling since he supports the same thing.

Joan

January 16, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  11. Joe

Wow, she made a joke about Shilling being a Yankees fan and now people of MA won't vote for her? Is it just me or do other people see something wrong with this? haha

January 16, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Schilling has been a party hack since the days of GWB ... and we all know what that got us.

January 16, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  13. Drew B.

Curt Schilling is a loud mouthed ignorant ex-baseball player. He should take the new advice everyone is giving to Pat Robertson and just STFU. Go play baseball, enjoy retirement and stop making yourself look stupid by playing politics. It's a freakin joke, get over yourself already Curt and calm down, you take things way too seriously apparently.

January 16, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  14. hongli

Curt Schilling Is a Republican STIFF.

January 16, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. Steve

So, the votes should decide on who represents them in the Senate based on this?!?? It is really scary to see the current state of affairs with American politics...

January 16, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  16. Krejaton

Desperate Dems are desperate.

January 16, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  17. Ed

I guess that means he doesn't like them a bit. he certainly left his mark in '04 but his reaction is borderline or over the top deep hatred..

January 16, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  18. Dimslie

It's like a windfall when a Democrat's goofy idea doesn't cost us anything.

January 16, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  19. Frozone

Curt Schilling was a fan of the steroids. I have no doubt the truth will come out about that over-rated cheat.

January 16, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  20. Vietnam vet

People grow up. Sports is just a game, nothing more.

January 16, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  21. Rich

To those of you not completely ignorant and misguided, this is "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing".

January 16, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. Kristy

Coakley is an idiot in running a campaign. She should never disparage a RedSox player that was part of the World Series win. That was a moronic move on her part. How can she be so stupid. Boston loves the Red Sox, and he played bloody and hurt and won. If she loses, it's because she's run a horrible campaign and topped it off by disparaging a RedSox hero.

January 16, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  23. Illinoistom

Was Coakley also joking when she said there are no terrorists in Afghanistan? If so, I suggest she hire Conan O'brien to write her jokes until tuesday.

January 16, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  24. nyred

Is this 'roid rage? An insignificant person, a former highly paid baseball player, should certainly not be taken seriously in a weighty political discussion. What is it with those right-wing zealots who focus on minutiae? They applaud the Limbaughs, the Robertsons and FNC for scurrilous comments and become rabid dogs over small stuff. Tsk! Tsk! Can Schilling see Russia from the porch of his birthplace too?

January 16, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  25. TangledThorns

Coakley failed on the joke... just like her negatively spirited campaign failed.

January 16, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |