January 18th, 2010

Obama to give State of the Union address January 27

Washington (CNN) - Senior administration officials confirm President Obama will deliver his State of Union address on January 27 at 9 p.m. ET.

The decision for Obama to deliver the nationally televised speech next week was made Monday, offficials said.

1. Stas

He never has to come right out and say "Bush did it" since it is plain and obvious to see. History will judge these Presidents – I can't wait.

January 18, 2010 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  2. Chris Rowell

I wonder what and how many promises he will make (and not keep) this time.

January 18, 2010 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  3. Aubrey

News flash to all those who aren't willing to give Obama an ounce of a chance- even if he was able to snap his fingers and magically make the economy spectacular, "end terrorism", give you huge tax cuts, and make Sarah Palin his VP, you would all still hate him. So how about you let the man try and fix our country for the better for a change instead of whining every time he does ANYTHING?

January 18, 2010 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  4. Chris

The same day that Apple will announce new products *crosses fingers for tablet mac!*

January 18, 2010 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  5. Betty in Arizona

Give it a rest people, if we pulled together to make America great again like when emergencies happen, we could accomplish all most anything we put our hearts and minds to. He is our president, he was voted into office and you can either work with him or against, but we all lose when we do that. If you want him to be a one term president you will get to help make that happen in 2012. But blathering against our president you are battering our country. I believe that enough damage has been done to our country by our country. We as Americans can change the way the world sees us. Work on it, it is not that hard to do. Stop whinning, see something good in all of us. Have a blessed day.

January 18, 2010 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  6. Charlie, NJ

Yeah another bunch of promises and a bunch of spending with printed money. Obama means well, but he doesn't have the experience to be a congressman let alone the president.

January 18, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  7. proud mother and sister of soldiers

I watch this man do everything he said he would not do. Worse yet, they are using our taxdollars to buy votes to push his agenda. Why would I waste my time to listen to him spew more lies? The best thing will be Brown winning tomorrow and forcing the current administration to hear the public. He will have no choice but to restructure his health care bill as well as his agenda if he has any hope to stay in office.

January 18, 2010 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  8. Steve

I'm still a little disappointed that he had to schedule around the premiere of "Lost." I think its sad that a TV show takes precedence over the leader of our country addressing the most important issues facing the nation...and before people start jumping on me for wanting to here what Obama has to say, let me add that I would have felt the same way towards any of Bush's state of he union addresses. It is a matter of respect people!

January 18, 2010 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  9. Timmothy Bivins

Maybe Bush/Cheney Should have been allowed to serve another 8 years.. Then we Could have had our cookies and tea

January 18, 2010 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  10. Charlotte, NC

Rococo, it is frightening that you are out and about among us! Have you looked around the world? All the other civilized nations already have universal health care and have not dissolved into communism or socialism. They wonder what is the big deal and why there is so much controversy about the issue in the US.

January 18, 2010 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  11. ThinkAgain

Keep up the good work, Mr. President!

And to all those out their who agree with the Republican Party and Rush Limbaugh who want our president and our country to fail:

TAKE A HIKE!

January 18, 2010 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  12. ray

It is amazing how some people think! (or actually can't think logically). Our president has been doing as best he can, negotiating, trying, cajoling the republicans to try and change some things to make life better for "all" americans and others in this world, yet he gets lambasted for doing it.

I hope he continues to try and improve things. Lets face it, we will never agree on everything, but as americans should agree that things can get better if we try. I see no "trying" on the republican side, only "obstructing".

January 18, 2010 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  13. Ron

"Yah, let the stupid tea party celebrate on January 20. they just bunch of races idiots." RACES?? Hold on...I'm getting a pain in my side....Ya know how you laugh so much, you get a little Dizzy... wait... now I can register as a Democrat!!!!

January 18, 2010 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  14. bert d

Why don't we wait for what he's gonna say instead of falling all over our bare feet spouting atrocious English trying to foretell his address the way we would like the address to be done (i.e. with the utmost ignorance and stupidity) by ourselves?

January 18, 2010 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  15. TOTUS 4 PRESIDENT

What will I say on that night, just what WILL I say??? Oh yeah, it's a vast right wing conspiracy!!

Yep. So vast that it is sweeping across the entire country!! ...Even in Massachusetts!

January 18, 2010 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  16. Linda

President Obama – I want to thank you for your tireless efforts in trying to pull this country together again after 8 years of gloom and doom. Most of us out here appreciate how hard you are working to that end. After all, It took 8 years for the last administration to drive this country into the ground, and it will take at least that long to get us out from under.

Keep the faith!

Linda Wolff
    Sarasota

January 18, 2010 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  17. ThinkAgain

Food for thought for those who hate our president:

Haven't you guys noticed that your their lives were worse off after 8 years of Bush (and 30 years of Reaganomics)?

Haven't you noticed that the GOP stirs up your fears and hatred to get you to the polls, then screws you over for the sake of the wealthy?

FDR pulled us out of the Great Depression, lead our country to victory in WWII; Clinton left us with a budget surplus; Democratic presidents gave us Social Security, Voting Rights, Clean Air and Water, the Interstate Highway system, and the National Parks system.

The list goes on and on and on.

Democrats put the people first; Republicans put money first.
    Democrats have ideas; Republicans have only fear, hatred and division.

Why anyone would vote Republican is beyond me ...

January 18, 2010 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  18. InCT

He wanted to wait until after Apple has their big news event. He didn't want to have his speech on the last page of the news.

January 18, 2010 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  19. Jay Greer

I haven't see so much mindless drivel in such a small space in many years. I for one will be interested to hear what our President has to say and hope the country will give him a fair hearing. Considering the mess we were in when he took office a year ago, he would be amply justified in saying that he and his administration have been working hard to dig us out of the pit into which his predecessors cast us. Instead, he has done very little of that in the apparent hope he could find some bipartisan solutions to our problems. Instead, my fellow Republicans have spent the year trying to block every effort he made and bad-mouthing him along the way. It makes me embarrassed to admit that I'm a Republican. (Fortunately, we live in a country where that sort of behavior doesn't land you in jail for sedition, or get you killed.) I hope we'll see some progress toward a better economic and political climate in the coming year and am quite prepared to continue supporting our President in his efforts to help us achieve these goals. I only hope others will see it in their best interests and those of the country to do likewise.

January 18, 2010 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  20. Ron

Sorry, my response to the prior democrats was incorrect. I should not degrade all democrats, because a good majority have strong party ties. They remember how vibrant their party was prior to it being hijacked by the ultra-libs. They remember what it was like to be a JFK Kennedy democrat.

But.. come on... those responses were great!! Let's have a little fun with it, cause we're sure going through it together!

January 18, 2010 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  21. Gregg

This implies that the Dems will lose Mass, the President will Jam healthcare through b/f the state of union against the will of the people. At least that will be the last thing he gets done b/f we boot him Pelosi and Reid out of Washington!!!

January 18, 2010 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  22. John Scott

I think President Obama is doing his best. However, There still needs to be a lot of change. I don't believe bailing out companies that ran themselves into the ground is intelligent (if you can't run your business, it fails) I don't believe in foreign aid, The United States economy is sick and giving money to other countries is stupid, regardless of what we hope to receive in return America NEEDS to invest in America. Obama has so far only done what essentially every other president has done... Perhaps he will be able to keep his word, or the American people will replace him in the coming election...

January 18, 2010 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  23. Aaron

I think I'll skip it, I'm not a big fan of being lied to.

January 18, 2010 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  24. ted

And the Grand Obstructionist Party is busy at work writing their opposition speech that some dumb jerk like bobby jindal or sarah palin or some other boob head can read off a teleprompter.

such is politics.