January 19th, 2010

Party atmosphere at Brown headquarters

ALT TEXT

More than a thousand supporters of Republican Senate hopeful Scott Brown are celebrating at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel. (PHOTO CREDIT: Rachel Streitfeld/CNN)

Boston (CNN) - It's a party atmosphere inside the main ballroom at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel. That's where more than a thousand supporters of Republican Senate hopeful Scott Brown are celebrating what they hope will be their party's first senate victory in Massachusetts since 1972.

Former Boston College and pro football quarterback Doug Flutie and his band are playing crowd-pleasing classic songs like "Sweet Home Alabama."

An Uncle Sam look-alike dressed in sequins is dancing in celebration.

A Brown campaign official tells CNN that the candidate, a state Senator, is watching election returns with his family in a hotel suite. He is being joined by former Massachusetts governor and 2008 GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

Filed under: Massachusetts
  1. bcdc

We cannot stop here. This will only get the progressives meaner and dirtier. We have to continue until they are out of the Democrat party and have their own and let the Democrats get back their party.

January 19, 2010 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  2. Chris

It's about time the PEOPLE make their wishes know. NO senator who sells us out will be voted in. A Michigan Voice

January 19, 2010 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  3. D.A. Reuter, Bremerton, WA

I hope the voters who voted for Brown know that a vote for him is a vote against those who cannot afford to see a doctor and health insurance. What you have done is gross negligence and I hope that you can live with your decision.

January 19, 2010 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  4. Tom

Sweet Home Alabama is about perfect. Look up the lyrics: "Watergate does not bother me..." Thanks a lot, Massachusetts, for putting the country in the wayback machine and dialing us back to the 1950s!

January 19, 2010 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  5. Carlos

This is a great day for CHANGE!

January 19, 2010 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  6. v. folts

We're coming for you in 2010 Dems! Try to ram legislation down our throats against the majority will of the people? You will now suffer the consequences of those actions this coming year and dearly. Heads up, you may want to get an early start on packing your bags.

January 19, 2010 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  7. Future expat

This is what we have to look forward to if the GOP comes back into power: Southern influence and superficial patriotism.

January 19, 2010 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  8. wow

Just the beginning....Palin 2012 :)

January 19, 2010 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  9. TJ

This is beyond ironic.... a Kennedy seat going to a Republican that has vowed to kill the Health Care Bill. My o my, how things can change in just a year...

January 19, 2010 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  10. MooMoo

My faith in America has been restored. Thank you Massachusetts.

January 19, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  11. stillmanbd@aol.com

Has anybody seen the latest voter numbers. Brown is leading with strong numbers. I'll bet Nancy is Pe-eing her tight wadded little panties about now! Have you ever wondered why she has that look on her face all the time like she cant breath. It's those tighty whities!

January 19, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  12. Fitz in Texas

Sure wish I could be there to party with these great folks! Thank you Scott Brown!

January 19, 2010 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  13. Ready for 2012

Go Brown Go!!!

Do the right thing Mass.!!!

January 19, 2010 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  14. Kim gordon

Finally, some people in America have some common sense and see what is happening. thank you Massachusetts!

January 19, 2010 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  15. barb

Congrats to Brown! Now we need to keep this rolling to the rest of the states!!

January 19, 2010 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  16. They call me "tater salad"

I'd probably party too if I just BOUGHT myself an election that was rigged in my favor............Who wouldn't?

January 19, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  17. Right Leaning Independent

Party on Scott!! Great Campaign!!! USA! USA! USA!

January 19, 2010 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  18. Tan

It's amazing that a Republican can win in Massachusetts. Right-wing Nicholas Sarkorzy won in a left-wing political climate in France. We stand socialism on its head. Nobody's entitled to anything. It's a political backlash against the Dems and Obama Biden.
    I'm glad I fled to America from communism in the 80's.

January 19, 2010 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |