January 20th, 2010

Brown brushes off presidential question

(CNN) – Having shocked the political world with his surprise Senate win in one of the bluest of states Tuesday night, it was only a matter of time before Republican Scott Brown was asked if he harbors any presidential ambitions.

Sure enough, in a press conference with reporters in Boston Wednesday, the newly minted senator-elect was asked if he felt he was "presidential timber."

Brown brushed aside the question, noting he hasn't even arrived in Washington, DC yet.

"I don't want to say that's a silly question but I am just so thankful for the support that I received from everybody…and to think about something higher? I am just honored to be in this position," he said.

"I can't tell you how proud I am to be here standing before you all," Brown said. "And being – having an opportunity to maybe send the country in a different and better direction – that's my goal."

In the 25 minute news conference, Brown also described his conversation Tuesday night with President Obama, who made a last-ditch trip to Massachusetts Sunday to campaign on behalf of Brown's opponent, Martha Coakley.

Describing the conversation as "great," the president told Brown he didn't criticize him "too hard" when he stumped for Coakley, and said he looks forward to meeting him in Washington. Brown also said the two discussed the possibility of playing basketball.

"I said, 'I have a basketball daughter and you pick your best and we'll play two on two,'" Brown said of the conversation. "He laughed. I said, 'Regardless, we may not agree on some things but you have a sense of humor and you have to have a sense of humor about politics.'"

Filed under: Massachusetts • Popular Posts • Scott Brown • Senate
  1. Mesa Mick

Once again "Idiot America" strikes and votes a backwards looking obstructionist and partrisan demagogue into office.

A message to the "good" voters in MA – Enjoy it folks, you'll be getting what you deserve in just a few months – More pain and misery...

January 20, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  2. hongli

Bostonians will see that Scott Brown is the biggest CLOWN in Boston.

January 20, 2010 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  3. Larry-Hazleton, Pa

All that can be said is it now time to put up or shut up – the repubs have been all about the word NO for the past year – and now they are in a position to either help or hender – it is a shame that brown has already said NO to perhaps the most important legislation since the medicare act of 1965 – what a pity!!! It will now be all about the glee of the repubs to put down anything that would be good for the people just so they can pay off there bosses in the banks and insurance companies – what a pity!!!! they will be only about trying to make our President look bad while trying to get more of there kind elected – what a pity!!!!!! I have not heard any republican speak that had anything to say that would do me or mine any good. what a pity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 20, 2010 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  4. Enough

I like this guy.......he is the new hero for the American people. Kill that lousy health care bill and make them start over with a common sense approach.

January 20, 2010 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  5. Steve (the real one)

Ridiculous! The man has not yet seated to do the work he was elected to do! Brown handled that "trick" question correctly

January 20, 2010 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  6. Oompa Loompa

For the first time in a long time, I'm optimistic. My only concern is will we have a working tri-partisan congress or is more change going the be necessary. We still need healthcare reform but not the monstrocity being shoved into the public enema sack being held up by Pelosi and Reid. We need to end the costly fraud and develop a free market solution before considering a government take-over. We need jobs first to pay for our healthcare. Maybe I'm still dreaming but something tells me that common sense will prevail. Just in case my credit card for campaign contributions is still warm and will stay that way until the truth is apparent. I hope we dont have to continue to buy back our government.

January 20, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  7. RanDe from SoCal

Brown didn't want to say it, But I will "It is a silly question" (at least at this time)

January 20, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  8. IVOTE

One thing good has come from this terrible upset in Massachusetts. Politicians can/will no longer hold candidates for office accountable for moral issues in their past. Cosmos "Nude" picture of this new elected official has sealed that deal.

January 20, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Of course he feels it. He just wants to appear that he is going to D.C. to "work for the people." He may know MA politics, but he may be eaten alive in D.C. He may not survive to run for election for his own full term.

January 20, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  10. gt

who knows what will happen ,,people said the same thing about obama 2 yrs ago....who ever runs needs to be from the center ,,, both parties better learn something,, were sick of washington give aways , back room deals,,, slimey ,,unethical government,,,,

January 20, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  11. Nick , California

I'm not a Republican or a Democrat but this race does renew my hope for a strong democracy! I don't agree with this new senator, but I do believe it is the peoples choice.. This is what makes America great!! Red or Blue does not matter.. only that we love this country... as it is better than any other in the world!

January 20, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. Jane/Seattle

The Health Care Fix was in way before this guy won this seat. I agree with Howard Dean on what needs to be done next to help ALL Americans gain access to health care.

January 20, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  13. Michele

In the first place, the question should read "Presidential timbre," and in the 2nd, if half the stuff I read about Brown's wild opinions is true, there is no way he can appeal across the country. And as a referendum on Obama, I doubt it. Mass. already has health care, so why would they want any change there. And obviously, they are the typical selfish Republicans: we got it, and you don't and who cares? Brown ran a savvy, Obama-like campaign. That doesn't make him the next President by a long shot. But Republicans are nothing if not good at exploiting weaknesses.

January 20, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  14. George in Az.

Look what happened after he won the Mass. Senate seat. The stock market tanked!! He would be worse than John McCain at the financial helm.

January 20, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  15. Rickster

lololol.....I turned on kommandant Obama's state-controlled media outlet MSNBC last night......it was absolutely hysterical.....they all looked like they were sucking on lemons as Scott Brown won the election. Especially that idiot Keith Olberman(what a loser) and Nora O'Donnell. She looked like she was going to start crying at any minute. What a riot.

January 20, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  16. Average Guy in Red-State Kansas

This sophistry that Mr. Brown would be a viable presidential candidate demonstrates with chrystal clarity desperation within the Republican Party.

Am I missing something? Is it illogical to expect that before you can consider yourself presidential material you first need to demonstrate your statesmanship? That you first have to "make your bones"?

You read it here first: A lot can happen between now and next November. Mr. Brown's election ultimately could backfire on the GOP when the American people finally have it up to their eyeballs with the party's obstructionist, whining and moronic antics resulting from their newly-acquired 41st vote.

If you thought the GOP has been nasty up to this point, fasten your seatbelt!

January 20, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  17. ted

Maybe he is and maybe he isn't. But in any event, he would be better than pond scum Palin.

Obama/Biden 2012

January 20, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  18. virginia nielsen

For this "Dandi" (french for good looking and empty) is going to be fantastic !!! He is going to have a fantastic health insurance and I'm dropping mine because is to expensive, I pay and when I need to use I have to meet a $1,000.00 deductable and they pay only 80% after that. Health Insurance companies are like PIMPS, they don't do anything and they get money from the prostitute in one side and the customer on the other side !!! MA has a very good public health plan so they didn't care when they voted for this brainless Adonis !!! How irresponsible they were !!!

January 20, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. Mark Green

Brown's win is proof that Americans do not deserve the worlds respect. Mr Brown is the poster child for what is wrong with America and why it is destined to a role of irrelevance in the world.

VIVA LA CUBA LIBRE VIVA CASTRO VIVA CHAVEZ with love from Canada.

Canadians love Castro because Americans only care about superficial junk. If you doubt me check out Palin and Brown. People with no substance or brains win elections is the my proof.

January 20, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  20. Scott, Tucson

Yes...lets get to know him first before considering him as a possible candidate for President, unlike the last unknown Senator from Illinois that the libs dump on us.

January 20, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  21. ran

Now that the democrats do not have to worry about 60 votes they can start to get things done by the use of reconciliation. Thank you MA

If you thought that by putting another no Republican in would change anything then you are stupider then you vote. The Republican's waved fear/hate/purist in you face and you fell for it like the idiots they expected you to be.

I for one will be voting in as many true Democrats as I can and do all I can to get ride of the likes of Lieberman/Nelsons and Blue dogs as well as every Republicans.

Gridlock is not an option.

January 20, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  22. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Politicians have the best healthcare provided and we the tax payers bear the costs and Republicans don't feel we all deserve the same and stupidly there are those who vote into their lies. At some point Republicans are going to have to put a plan forth instead of their continued rheteric about what they don't like about Democrats. Don't be played for stupid, make these Republicans give a plan and solutions. Brown only has one interest at heart and that's the great future he has planned for his family, what about yours? Palin played you while she and her unemployed husband basked in the sun on the Hawaiian beaches at your expense.

January 20, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. Ken in Pisgah Forest

OK, MA. You have a statewide healthcare system created by Mitt Romney. What about the rest of us? We all know that Medicare and our employers cannot take the increase in insurance costs that double every seven or eight years, and, according to the current trend, will continue to double in another seven or eight years. Pres. Obama told us the increase in healthcare costs is causing the government to go broke. He did not tell us, but he should have, that it is also causing our employers to go broke. Employer provided healthcare, unless it is made mandatory, is as good as dead, and 80% of insured people have health insurance through their employers. Boards of directors at virtually all U.S. companies are looking for ways to get out of providing it. What is going to take its place?

January 20, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  24. Chris

I will say he has the looks, but I would think the GOP better go look at ole boy past just a little closer before they get all happy and ready to put him out as the Great GOP HOPE!!!
    I have a feeling Mr. Brown past is about to come haunt him in an unfavorable way.

January 20, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  25. Jerry

I especially liked his statement that tax dollars should be used to buy weapons to defeat terrorists, not provide lawyers for them. Hope all you libs heard that.

January 20, 2010 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |