January 20th, 2010

Brown brushes off presidential question

(CNN) – Having shocked the political world with his surprise Senate win in one of the bluest of states Tuesday night, it was only a matter of time before Republican Scott Brown was asked if he harbors any presidential ambitions.

Sure enough, in a press conference with reporters in Boston Wednesday, the newly minted senator-elect was asked if he felt he was "presidential timber."

Brown brushed aside the question, noting he hasn't even arrived in Washington, DC yet.

"I don't want to say that's a silly question but I am just so thankful for the support that I received from everybody…and to think about something higher? I am just honored to be in this position," he said.

"I can't tell you how proud I am to be here standing before you all," Brown said. "And being – having an opportunity to maybe send the country in a different and better direction – that's my goal."

In the 25 minute news conference, Brown also described his conversation Tuesday night with President Obama, who made a last-ditch trip to Massachusetts Sunday to campaign on behalf of Brown's opponent, Martha Coakley.

Describing the conversation as "great," the president told Brown he didn't criticize him "too hard" when he stumped for Coakley, and said he looks forward to meeting him in Washington. Brown also said the two discussed the possibility of playing basketball.

"I said, 'I have a basketball daughter and you pick your best and we'll play two on two,'" Brown said of the conversation. "He laughed. I said, 'Regardless, we may not agree on some things but you have a sense of humor and you have to have a sense of humor about politics.'"

Filed under: Massachusetts • Popular Posts • Scott Brown • Senate
  1. Dave

Christmas in January! I sent Brown money for his campaign and i have to admit that it was the best money i EVER spent.
    congratulations Senator Brown!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO

January 20, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  2. Dar

Congrats Senator Brown, now lets get you seated so you can get to work for the people who got you here.

PS: Dont embarass Odumbo to bad when you beat him in B Ball, or on the other hand, smoke his ass and show him whats going to happen in 2012

2010/2012 REAL Change is coming

January 20, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. Colleen

Could we be any more screwed??

January 20, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  4. Marc in Virginia

Yes! Change we can believe in.

January 20, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  5. alumette

Funny how statements are made and some wrong as they try to confuse the public. I just watched a press conference with the French who swear they will stand by Obama on all issues. The title from CNN was : Is Obama losing an ally ? Hello! NO ....not according to that conference. Where is that false statement coming from? This new guy Brown....he won because he looks good and Martha was too weak and dull.....how sad. He has nothing to offer but antagonism and rebellion which will satisfy the right wing. How better can he serve the people? more likely how can he serve HIMSELF using the people in the mist.

January 20, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  6. Mike in Dallas

I am sure the health insurance companies would love to support his campaign for president.

January 20, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  7. jj wiggins

i hope you fail brown. i hope your state gets hit harder then haitie. i have prepared for the civil war that will erupt. Cant wait until you all are the minority to give real balance in politics

January 20, 2010 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  8. The Other Michael in Houston

Let the guy get comfotable as a US Senator. By the way, congrats to Senator elect Brown. I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked that he won. She did not present too much of any competition. Running on a "it has always been a Democrat in this seat" platform is not a good strategy. Besides, it brings back a balnce to Congress. Too bad though,, now nothing will get done. It was already a slow motion process. And still I have not heard one thing the Republican Party wants to do for this country, other the take Obama down. I need some ideas Repubs!

January 20, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  9. Scott, Tucson

Maybe now the moderate democrats will take back their party which has been hijacked by the far left wing radicals like Pelosi, Reid and...awww you know who they are.

January 20, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  10. Shirley In California

In the words of Michael Jordan "may he enjoy the moment" because he will NEVER occupy Pennsylvania Avenue in ANY capacity. This guy spells total creep. He wants so desperately to be in the limelight and yet he doesn't have anything to say. The joke he made about his wife and daughter were disgusting and classless. I hope the people of MA get what they asked for.

January 20, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  11. Steve (the real one)

1. Don't get too excited GOP. The Independents won this.
    2. It is NOT about Ted Kennedy's legacy anymore, it is about people being tired of empty promises, and lies (from BOTH sides).
    3. Several are complaining that Brown will now get free health. I guess Kennedy didn't get that perk, right? Had Coakley won, she would have not enjoyed that perk either, right? Ridiiculous complaint!
    4. WAKE UP DC!
    5. Dems had all the votes to do something, they did nothing!
    6. The GOP did not have te votes to stop much of anything! Keep blaming the GOP if you want! The GOP didn't promise CSPAN!

January 20, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  12. chuck

So let me get this straight.... Ms. Coakley made a joke about some ex jock and people went nuts and voted against her? Must be something in the water.

January 20, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  13. Accountant Guy

He reminds me of a male Sarah Palin. At least he only gets 2 years, then we can replace him.

January 20, 2010 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. Jim

Different direction, maybe. Better? Who knows. All we know is that the supposed 60-40 super-majority is now not even the illusion it was a few days ago. So, let's use that to the advantage it provides. Un-seat John Lieberman from ALL committee chairs, and tell him to go caucus with his real affiliates.

January 20, 2010 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  15. Jack

Good. When you arrive in Washington, keeps voting "NO" to all democratic intoduced bills. Make yourself the "Anti-democrats" senator.

January 20, 2010 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  16. Lyin Hawaiian

Today, for the first time in my life I am proud of my country

January 20, 2010 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  17. good-bye global warming

I hope Scott Brown runs for president in 2012. We need real Hope and Change in Washington.

January 20, 2010 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  18. Fernando

We are an electorate short on memory and patience. Arrogant cowards, with no heart and no sense. This is a harbinger. We will get what we deserve and it won't be better than what could have been. If I were Obama, I would say screw it, you idiots aren't worth the time or the trouble.

January 20, 2010 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  19. david

finaly an american.......he will work out just fine....

January 20, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. mike

this great then if he was to be president I can then be the party of no
    and nothing will get done god bless america

January 20, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  21. AJ

Brown should run with Palin. Their IQ and values (or lack thereof) are similar. Two pigs in a poke.

January 20, 2010 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  22. nick

The desperate GOPers now have a new poster child...a real looser... he may have one an election but this jerk Red Stater will never be even 1000th the statesman Ted Kennedy was.

January 20, 2010 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  23. Pete East

Congratulations Senator Scott Brown.

Should you decide to take on President Obama in a more serious game of “two on two” in 2012, you will have my support.

January 20, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  24. Tommy

Good God CNN can you let the guy just let the win sink in before he is Palinized? So what, the guy beat an exceptionally mediocre (some say aloof; I agree) senate candidate and all the sudden he is JC reincarnated ready to save the U.S. from the democrats.

Go back to reporting on celebrity gossip. Leave the journalism to the big boys. You've already done your bit for corporate America by helping to misinform the voting public on serious legislative initiatives, now go back to being a daycare center for self-aggrandizing talking heads in stuffed suits. You've earned it.

January 20, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  25. angela

Does he have presidentail ambitions? You have to ask? OF COURSE HE DOES.

January 20, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |