January 20th, 2010

Brown brushes off presidential question

(CNN) – Having shocked the political world with his surprise Senate win in one of the bluest of states Tuesday night, it was only a matter of time before Republican Scott Brown was asked if he harbors any presidential ambitions.

Sure enough, in a press conference with reporters in Boston Wednesday, the newly minted senator-elect was asked if he felt he was "presidential timber."

Brown brushed aside the question, noting he hasn't even arrived in Washington, DC yet.

"I don't want to say that's a silly question but I am just so thankful for the support that I received from everybody…and to think about something higher? I am just honored to be in this position," he said.

"I can't tell you how proud I am to be here standing before you all," Brown said. "And being – having an opportunity to maybe send the country in a different and better direction – that's my goal."

In the 25 minute news conference, Brown also described his conversation Tuesday night with President Obama, who made a last-ditch trip to Massachusetts Sunday to campaign on behalf of Brown's opponent, Martha Coakley.

Describing the conversation as "great," the president told Brown he didn't criticize him "too hard" when he stumped for Coakley, and said he looks forward to meeting him in Washington. Brown also said the two discussed the possibility of playing basketball.

"I said, 'I have a basketball daughter and you pick your best and we'll play two on two,'" Brown said of the conversation. "He laughed. I said, 'Regardless, we may not agree on some things but you have a sense of humor and you have to have a sense of humor about politics.'"

Filed under: Massachusetts • Popular Posts • Scott Brown • Senate
  1. Marilyn

No comment on the presidential possibility, but I just want to say thank you to Mass. Obama's socialist train needed to be derailed and your state as applied the brakes. Job well done!!

January 20, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. Charlotte, NC

He probably will run for prez. After all, the GOP has already provided us with two actors into politics, so why not a model? Reinforces that their value is to appear rather than work for the betterment of the regular people.

January 20, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  3. Red by Choice

Good morning democrats.

Are you listening now? The health care bill stinks. Your bail out was a failure. Businesses have no faith in President tax-and-spend, 4X-nat'l-debt-Obama (that's why the economy hasn't turned). Please keep pursuing health care reform. It will ensure a Republican sweep in upcoming elections.

Sincerely,

The majority of Americans

January 20, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  4. C Spurgeon

Lets see how the words match up to the actions Please...

January 20, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  5. normajean

Just what we need , a president who not only is a ex nude model but a smart mouth at that. I see him as a male Sara Palin
    .Heaven help us.

January 20, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  6. Thank you Massachusetts!

I'm overjoyed that he won in Mass and maybe he would make great president but for now, thank God we may be able to stop the liberals' destructive agenda and lessen the stranglehold the Democrats had on us.

January 20, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  7. Anonymous

"Upset senator wants to be prez?"
    That's a very misleading header. Brown said nothing like that at all. is this the National Enquirer? You have to make your news up.

January 20, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  8. Dave

Way to be misleading, CNN. You made it sound like the guy made some kind of statement, and all that happened was he was asked a question. I don't like Brown, but I can't fault him for having been asked a question, which he wisely deflected.

It's too bad that Coakley was so complacent and took things for granted. She ran a lazy, horrible campaign, while Brown worked hard to win, making over 4 times as many appearances as she did. Apparently, she just couldn't be bothered. Too bad, because now the whole nation may have to pay a horrible cost for that. Coakley really let Ted Kennedy, and our entire country, down. I hope that wakes Democrats up and lets them know that they better not take anything for granted and fight hard for every seat in November, because we've seen what happens when Republican theocrats run this country, and none of it's pretty. In fact, it's a complete disaster. Take Coakley's fatal mistake as a lesson, Democrats: wake up and FIGHT. The nation is counting on you.

January 20, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  9. Anthony

I can honestly say, although we Americans have a lot of heart and pride, we sure lack severely in the intelligence department. Sorry folks, its true. From From Quayle, Bush 43, Palin, to Joe, to this guy... we sure do love our "Average Guy" personalities...

I personally want someone with a bit of intelligence, and could care less whether he drove a TRUCK or a PRIUS. American politics are all one big beauty contest now, and Im personally ashamed of the route its gone as of late. The LEFT keep bumbling their way to defeats, while the RIGHT keep obstructing everything they see fit, putting party before country.

Good chance me, wife, and baby take our show to Europe in the next few years, so at least my kid will grow up with an objective and outsider's view of America...

And hopefully by then, the Right haven't taken control of office and decided to start another war with country x, y, or z.

January 20, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  10. marlene

Another stupid question by the press!! As if the candidate would tell the press this soon, anyway. Use the question time for something meaningful, like what are your goals for the next year, for Mass.? Marlene in Mich

January 20, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  11. AP in Illinois

No way the GOP would accept that. They don't accept that a standing United States Senator has enough experience to be President. This guy was only as STATE senator. That doesn't even make the Sarah Palin executive experience category!

January 20, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  12. d

He won't even be a senator come 2012

January 20, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  13. Ron in California

Why do reporters ask such dumb questions. Is a newly ordained priest ready to be Pope? Is a cub reporter ready to be editor in chief. Dumb.

January 20, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  14. Carnoe Morales

Congrats, Senator Brown.

January 20, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  15. Lisa - VA

What a STUPID question to ask someone who just won a Senate race (which I hardly view as a "RACE") to ask. What kind of "direction" does Mr. Brown think the country was going in when Bush/Cheney was in office; and what "direction" will the country be gong in IF McCain/Palin had won.

I am beginning to think that CNN loves the fact that President Obama is down in the polls. I also believe CNN (like FOX NEWS) stokes the flames of HATRED toward President Obama (but I guess it's whatever makes news). I now see why I stopped watching CNN.

January 20, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  16. Steph

Mr. Brown's goals: I will work hard to create a country where only the very wealthy can afford quality health care. I want the insurance companies to drop everyone that has ever had a health issue like a runny nose, cough or fever. I want everyone to walk around yelling "You lie" to each other because no one really needs manners. I will work every day to prevent any more regulation of the banking industry. They are honest, upstanding citizens who would never do anything shady. And I want the bankers to be able to sue you, the average American, if you fall for one of their scams. It is your personal responsibilty to know when you're being taken advantage of. Finally, absolutely no funding should go towards climate change, scientific research or education in general. It should all go to the military industrial complex where is will be spent wisely.

January 20, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  17. J.C. - Independent 4 Public Option

It seems any not-bad looking, tall man has a better chance to win.
    What is the medium height of our male senators?

January 20, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  18. Jay

He was right to brush the question away. He needs 6-10 years as a Senator before running for higher office. I have my eye on Sen Jim Webb.

January 20, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  19. a health economist

I would never in a million years vote for this guy. But I will admit he is 100% qualified for the job. He's 35 years of age or more and he was born in the US.

January 20, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  20. Dan in Louisville

Well of course the liberal press wants to know when he will become President. After all, that's the path Obama took. No experience is just fine for the libs. as long as you are willing to PUSH the lib agenda.

January 20, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  21. buckwheat

I think after the last presidential election people who sat on their haunches and let "Bob" do it sees now just how dangerous it can be when people do not vote with their heads.. That election could very well signal the end of the word free. Look at the attacks already made on business and the people who pay the bills, and in Washington, the Congress is just business as usual with their perks and a health care that anyone would vote yes for. This election in Mass shows the people that we can kick all their rear ends out by 2012. Have a new set of rules where you don't make a career out of politics at our expense. Limit all gigs to 2 terms. Let the people vote on where the perks go.Have a web site listing every perk that is in any bill these crooks are passing. If it is not something for all the people then it is not legal. A Senate should not become a throne .

January 20, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  22. Ryan

This is the day ObamaCare died,,,, HOOOAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ted just rolled over. Bye Bye Dem's.

January 20, 2010 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  23. Felonious Monk

I think as far as individuals with low moral and ethical fiber, he should fit right in with the washington political crowd.

January 20, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  24. PigNeck

He will have more experience in 2012 than the current embarassment in the White House had when elected in 2008.

'Neck

January 20, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  25. Does anyone remember 2001-2009

Hopefully he is an American before Party.

January 20, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |