January 21st, 2010

Cindy McCain poses for same-sex marriage campaign

(CNN) - Cindy McCain, the wife of the 2008 Republican presidential candidate, has posed for a Web site promoting same-sex marriage.

McCain, who's married to Arizona Sen. John McCain, appears in a photograph on the site with a piece of silver duct tape over her mouth and the slogan "No H8" written on her cheek.

The site's owners were stunned when Mrs. McCain came to them with the idea of posing for them, they said when posting her photo Wednesday.

"We've often been surprised at some of the different individuals who have approached us showing their support. Few, though, have surprised us more than Cindy McCain," wrote Adam Bouska and Jeff Parshley.

"The McCains are one of the most well-known Republican families in recent history, and for Mrs. McCain to have reached out to us to offer her support truly means a lot," they wrote.

"Cindy McCain wanted to participate in the campaign to show people that party doesn't matter - marriage equality isn't a Republican issue any more than it is a Democratic issue," they argued, saying it was "about human rights."

The McCains' daughter Meghan, a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage, also appears on the site.

"I couldn't be more proud of my mother for posing for the NOH8 campaign. I think more Republicans need to start taking a stand for equality," Meghan McCain wrote on her Twitter page.

Meghan McCain appears holding an elephant - the symbol of the Republican party - with tape over its tusks.

Running for president, John McCain said he believed marriage should be between one man and one woman.

He reiterated that view through a spokeswoman Thursday.

"Senator McCain respects the views of members of his family. The senator chaired the effort to successfully pass Arizona Proposition 102, the Marriage Protection Amendment, and his opposition to gay marriage remains the same," Brooke Buchanan said.

The No H8 campaign arose in response to California's back-and-forth on same-sex marriage - first approved by the courts, then overturned by voters in a statewide referendum called Proposition 8. The issue is back in court now.

Bouska, a photographer, launched the site with Parshley "as a silent protest," they wrote.

It showcases pictures of Californians who oppose Proposition 8, they wrote when it launched nearly a year ago. It expanded to include celebrities and other supporters of same-sex marriage, all appearing with duct tape over their mouths and "No H8" painted on their cheeks.

1. Sean

Go Cindy!

January 21, 2010 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  2. Don

CONGRATULATIONS on Cindy McCain's bold courage on what must be a very difficult position for her considering who she is married to!!!

January 21, 2010 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  3. Allison

I think that is great that these women can share their views on this topic. Even if it is different from other family and political party members. Maybe these ladies can educate the others on equality.

January 21, 2010 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  4. Matt

Way to go McCains! It's nice to see some prominent Republicans taking a stand on this human rights issue. Refreshing to see some of the more social moderates in the party get some attention instead of the hate-filled neocons. I'm an Independent who likes a lot of the Republican's fiscal ideas, but have been really turned off by their extreme social views and tendency to turn towards hatred of anything 'different'.

January 21, 2010 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  5. Samir

Thank you, Cindy McCain.

January 21, 2010 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  6. Mike1952

She's a RINO. I bet the discussions around the fireplace are interesting at the McCain household.

I cannot, and will not, support government sanctioning homosexuality.

If I have heard once I have a hundred times from friends, relatives, and others that they have children who are trying to decide if they are homosexual. Trying to decide? I thought the argument was that this was not a choice.

January 21, 2010 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  7. Jon

I am proud of Cindy McCain. Voting your conscience is a sure sign of independence we see so little of from folks these days. We don't need no stinkin' parties.

January 21, 2010 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  8. shadysider

This is the fight that needs to be fought. Fiscally responsible, socially liberal Libertarian types need to take the party back from the religiously inclined conservatives and no different than Democrat Republicans who are currently residing in the GOP.

January 21, 2010 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  9. Ron Howerton

Now if the rest of America's conservative leadership would just do the RIGHT thing, this might actually become the land of the free!

January 21, 2010 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  10. Joe from Mass

This is the most responsible and correct thing I have heard from Republican types. Perhaps Scott Brown, a known opponent of gay marriage, can learn from the more enlightened people from his own party. The best change he can represent for Republicans is to stay out of peoples personal lives and promote government policies that support all types of family units. Keep judgment and policing of private matters to the religions, not in the political arena.

January 21, 2010 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  11. kyle

I just don't understand people who believe in equal protections for all Americans and then work so hard to promote a political party that is wholly indifferent to social advancements, civil rights and human rights. My roommate is gay and yet he votes for Republicans. He says that economics for all is more important than human rights being extended to a few. I remind him that huge bank accounts did nothing to help Jews in Germany. He is more concerned about his pocketbook than the rights of gay adolescents or gay children yet to be born who will face the same prejudices that he has had to endure his entire life.

January 21, 2010 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  12. Lynda

It's not often I get to say "Good for you!" to a republican. But good for you!

I didn't always agree with McCain (I' m a serious liberal) but I had always respected him, until the last election, when he seemed to go down a wade in the dirt and change his policies to suit the right-wing. After that election and even now leading the party of "no", I have no use for him.

But bravo to Cindy and Meghan for stepping up to what they believe is right.

January 21, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  13. naomi

I just love her. Any true Republican knows that equality for all is a core value of the party.

January 21, 2010 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  14. Dan

Well, I'm surprised hear myself say this, but....Go Cindy!!!!

I'm all for that :)

January 21, 2010 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  15. Cliff

Good for her. However, the photo is so doctored to hide her age it's disturbing.

January 21, 2010 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. If only she could talk.

I've always said Cindy McCain was the quesential mentally abused woman. The duct tape is appropriate to say the least. I admire her for taking a stand on something. I only wish she had the courage to come forth and tell the world the truth about John McCain but I'm sure she fears for her life every day and every night.

January 21, 2010 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  17. Patriot

As some people get old and confusion from senility begins to set in, they seek to 'rectify their soul' (better late than never, right?) sometimes in the most delusional of ways.

Even the pigs and dogs know that mating is supposed to be among physical gender opposites.
    However, when the mind-brain is out of kilter and the educational system is ineffective in helping to properly mature citizens, then 'anything goes' for unfortunate societies on the path of self-destruction.

January 21, 2010 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  18. Steve

I'm a conservative Republican and I'm not against gay marriage. I think it's one of those issues that individual states should decide though, but gays marrying is not an issue that should rise to the level of collective concern. It's simply a "pursuit of happiness" right that every American citizen should have. Period.

January 21, 2010 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  19. Andrew

Good for her! Thank you Mrs. McCain

January 21, 2010 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  20. Edgar

Kudos to Mrs. McCain. She gets it! Besides, she is a private citizen and can do whatever she wants!!!!

January 21, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  21. Bob

I think it is careless to assume that all people who are against gay marriage hate homosexuals. That simply is not true. However, when a propaganda machine gets started, its amazing that the truth usually gets pushed to the side of the road while emotions win the day. Sad indeed.

As for Cindy doing this, who cares. You are talking about a person worth millions because of her family's stranglehold on the booze industry in Arizona. She has never been or will ever be anything special but another elitist trying to tell others how they should live and think. No thanks Cindy. You and grandpa need to just bow out of the public light.

January 21, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  22. j in wi

Wow, I am impressed Mrs. McCain! You are smarter than your husband!

January 21, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  23. JaneBomb

I'm not a fan of her husband's politics but this was cool of her. go cindy!

January 21, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  24. peter gay canadian

How do you hypocrosi?? G.O.P.
    The G.O.P. will use anything and everything including spouses and siblings, to sway the tide in their favour. Come now....this is blatant HIPOCROSI of the lowest order. Don't tell me this was a spontaneous act by Cindy....HA!

January 21, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  25. Jason

I think Meghan put her up to it. I don't Cindy would have done this if John won the election.

January 21, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |