January 21st, 2010

Cindy McCain poses for same-sex marriage campaign

(CNN) - Cindy McCain, the wife of the 2008 Republican presidential candidate, has posed for a Web site promoting same-sex marriage.

McCain, who's married to Arizona Sen. John McCain, appears in a photograph on the site with a piece of silver duct tape over her mouth and the slogan "No H8" written on her cheek.

The site's owners were stunned when Mrs. McCain came to them with the idea of posing for them, they said when posting her photo Wednesday.

"We've often been surprised at some of the different individuals who have approached us showing their support. Few, though, have surprised us more than Cindy McCain," wrote Adam Bouska and Jeff Parshley.

"The McCains are one of the most well-known Republican families in recent history, and for Mrs. McCain to have reached out to us to offer her support truly means a lot," they wrote.

"Cindy McCain wanted to participate in the campaign to show people that party doesn't matter - marriage equality isn't a Republican issue any more than it is a Democratic issue," they argued, saying it was "about human rights."

The McCains' daughter Meghan, a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage, also appears on the site.

"I couldn't be more proud of my mother for posing for the NOH8 campaign. I think more Republicans need to start taking a stand for equality," Meghan McCain wrote on her Twitter page.

Meghan McCain appears holding an elephant - the symbol of the Republican party - with tape over its tusks.

Running for president, John McCain said he believed marriage should be between one man and one woman.

He reiterated that view through a spokeswoman Thursday.

"Senator McCain respects the views of members of his family. The senator chaired the effort to successfully pass Arizona Proposition 102, the Marriage Protection Amendment, and his opposition to gay marriage remains the same," Brooke Buchanan said.

The No H8 campaign arose in response to California's back-and-forth on same-sex marriage - first approved by the courts, then overturned by voters in a statewide referendum called Proposition 8. The issue is back in court now.

Bouska, a photographer, launched the site with Parshley "as a silent protest," they wrote.

It showcases pictures of Californians who oppose Proposition 8, they wrote when it launched nearly a year ago. It expanded to include celebrities and other supporters of same-sex marriage, all appearing with duct tape over their mouths and "No H8" painted on their cheeks.

1. Dan Holiday

So why is it that if you disagree with the Pro-Gay Marriage people you are labeled as being a hater? What is up with this NOH8 thing?

January 21, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  2. Peter I

Thats atypical for her to do that

January 21, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  3. John in Iowa

"the reason you get married is to have a family "
    So no more marriage for those that do not want kids, are to old to have kids, or are infertile.

"two women or two men having sex will not create nothing it is a false love,false marriage,a falsehood"
    Ignoring the double negative, I can tell you I have a couple of lesbian friends who happen to have 2 great kids. They used a sperm donor company both times, with the same one of them being the mother both times. So there goes the whole 'will not create anything' argument.

January 21, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  4. Chris

Thank you, Cindy. I really thought you were a "Stepford Wife" but you have proven me wrong.

Like you, I am a heterosexual person who believes religion should never be used to vote away the rights of a minority.

January 21, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  5. Matt

Good for her! Nice to see a Republican actually stand for equality for ALL!! Gay or Straight!! Right on!!

January 21, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  6. jeanette

If you want to ban gay marriage on the argument that a same sex couple can't reproduce, then you'd better extend the ban to include infertile people and people who don't want to have children as well.

January 21, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  7. rz

anything for publicity.......

January 21, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  8. awaitingmoderationby CNN

OK. We lost more jobs it was announced this a.m. after we spent a trillion on a "stimulus" package that was really just a political paybact for the unions and other left wing organizations. Now Obozo is trying to get another one, which will probably be more of the same. He is now going after the banks, where most of us have our 401k's rather than Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae which are where the real problems are. If you liked how he fixed your credit card problems, you will really love this (in case you didn't notice his fix for credit card problems has caused higher rates, more fees and limited availability). This man is the most abject failure we have ever seen...and yet, rather than say something true about Obama, CNN turns to a National Enquirer as its lead in the Political Ticker.

January 21, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  9. Ken in NC

While I am not a supporter of, nor do I think very much of Cindy McCain, I support her decision and right to voice her opinion. I think this leads to the root of many of our problems today. It's almost as if the situation is such that you are wrong if your opinion differs from mine. Our constitution gives us the right to differ in beleifs and opinions. The peoblem is that we, as a people have moved to the point that if you do not agree with my position then you must be wrong. We need to move past that.

I prefer to go to sleep with and wake up in the presence of females but I will support and defend the right of others that wish to sleep in a different manner. Mother always taught us that house rules always trump my rules. That is to say, when you are in my house, you follow my rules.

January 21, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  10. Bill

Hurray for Mrs McCain! If the republicans would get back to their true core beliefs of fiscal responsibility, and drop the 'social conservative' dogma, I would certainly be more receptive to their ideas. Lets face it, most of the rhetoric that the far right spews is nothing more than thinly veiled prejudice and hatred.

January 21, 2010 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  11. Marie MD

Good for her. I guess she is finally standing up for herself. I am surprised she took the word insult her husband threw at her and other things he did to put her down during the campaign.
    Why she says with him I'll never know!!

January 21, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  12. Rick

How can so many people be proud of her comments? Good luck on having children together; like God meant things to be!

January 21, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  13. A Republican in Arizona

If this keeps up with John's wife and daughter, he will loss my vote. Marriage is not the same as a civil union.
    – actually I would not support either for same sex individuals but the government may make certain laws that many or most people do not agreed with.

January 21, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  14. neurosurgeon

Godspeed Cindy McCain, you are not like all the other hot-headed, irrational haters.

January 21, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  15. Rob Johnson

More proof that the McCain family has more sense than the whole Palin wing of the GOP put together.

If the Republicans can put aside divisive "Culture War" issues in the next election, they have a good chance of beating the Dems soundly.

January 21, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  16. Beverly

He should divorce you and let you have yourself a woman. This world has enough problems without same sex marriages.

January 21, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  17. Dan, TX

It is good to see the republicans moving to the left.

January 21, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  18. Greg

What's next on the agenda, Man/Boy love or bestiality?

January 21, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  19. Jane MacDonald

Jesus, Jesus, blah, blah, blah. Same sex marriage is legal in Canada and guess what? Not one thing changed in our society, not one. The fabric of society hasn't broken down. There hasn't even been an overwhelming number of same sex marriges going on. This is a human rights issue, not a moral issue. Sure it says in the bible that man will not lay with man. The bible says a lot of things that aren't taken literally anymore, like, anyone who works on the Sabbath shall be put to death. There is nothing immoral about 2 people in love getting married. Any of you hipocrites out there ever had anal sex with the opposit sex?

January 21, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  20. Greg

I can't figure out why people are so quick to point their fingers at Republicans as being discriminatory for their stance on Gay Marriage when President Obama publicly has expressed the EXACT SAME VIEWS on Gay Marriage that Senator McCain expressed.

Why isn't GLAAD taking Obama to task for his views? Mrs. McCain is right, the gay marriage issue crosses party lines BOTH ways. I generally vote Republican, and am quite Conservative in my views, and IMHO, whether or not to gay people want to get married doesn't effect me at all...if they want to get married, then so for it...it's none of my business, and it's no business of the Federal Government.

January 21, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  21. Al

Hey Mike1952 – where do you live that "you've heard it a hundred times" parent's questioning their child's sexuality? Either you live in San Fran or 'The Heartland', because normal folk don't obsess like that. Methinks you're surrounded by the repressed.

January 21, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  22. Tina

Republicans rule by dictatorship. Follow me or do what I say or you are not part of us. Like China people. They are so robotic that they can't have a mind of their own. Do you call this freedom? Worse than 3rd world country. Before you say anything about poor countries and their president, look at yourselves first.

If you call this freedom, I just don't want to be part of it.

January 21, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  23. Tammy

hey folks - what about a heterosexual couple who can't have children?

January 21, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  24. Luzbo

Jon... the only thing gay teens are deciding is whether the can tell their parents they're gay without getting kicked out, beaten, or killed.

January 21, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  25. JM

It warms my heasrt to see that most people here are in support of this. Though the rabid few who still hold to the prejudice of the issue concern me. I keep hearing them quote scripture, how wrong could a person be. 2 simple facts, the bible was written by many hands and has many different and contradictory statements throughout. One statement that is repeated throughout the book though, is don't judge, lest you be judged. The people who want so badly to tell others how to live, seem to have skipped that part. The second point is, why are you quoting scripture to people who generally don't follow your misguided interpritations of the Bible? When I am trying to win an argument, I try to think of things that may mean something to my oposition. If you want to fight the issue, could you at least respect yourselves enough to have a real arguement? Maybe try sounding intelligent, that might help.

January 21, 2010 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |