January 21st, 2010

Cindy McCain poses for same-sex marriage campaign

(CNN) - Cindy McCain, the wife of the 2008 Republican presidential candidate, has posed for a Web site promoting same-sex marriage.

McCain, who's married to Arizona Sen. John McCain, appears in a photograph on the site with a piece of silver duct tape over her mouth and the slogan "No H8" written on her cheek.

The site's owners were stunned when Mrs. McCain came to them with the idea of posing for them, they said when posting her photo Wednesday.

"We've often been surprised at some of the different individuals who have approached us showing their support. Few, though, have surprised us more than Cindy McCain," wrote Adam Bouska and Jeff Parshley.

"The McCains are one of the most well-known Republican families in recent history, and for Mrs. McCain to have reached out to us to offer her support truly means a lot," they wrote.

"Cindy McCain wanted to participate in the campaign to show people that party doesn't matter - marriage equality isn't a Republican issue any more than it is a Democratic issue," they argued, saying it was "about human rights."

The McCains' daughter Meghan, a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage, also appears on the site.

"I couldn't be more proud of my mother for posing for the NOH8 campaign. I think more Republicans need to start taking a stand for equality," Meghan McCain wrote on her Twitter page.

Meghan McCain appears holding an elephant - the symbol of the Republican party - with tape over its tusks.

Running for president, John McCain said he believed marriage should be between one man and one woman.

He reiterated that view through a spokeswoman Thursday.

"Senator McCain respects the views of members of his family. The senator chaired the effort to successfully pass Arizona Proposition 102, the Marriage Protection Amendment, and his opposition to gay marriage remains the same," Brooke Buchanan said.

The No H8 campaign arose in response to California's back-and-forth on same-sex marriage - first approved by the courts, then overturned by voters in a statewide referendum called Proposition 8. The issue is back in court now.

Bouska, a photographer, launched the site with Parshley "as a silent protest," they wrote.

It showcases pictures of Californians who oppose Proposition 8, they wrote when it launched nearly a year ago. It expanded to include celebrities and other supporters of same-sex marriage, all appearing with duct tape over their mouths and "No H8" painted on their cheeks.

1. starzzguitar

I wonder if Cindy now has a female "BFF". Hmmmm......

January 21, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. roper

If the entire point of marriage is for procreation, then why don't social conservatives want to ban marriage of any woman past child bearing years?

January 21, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. djak

Mrs. McCain, I know a certain Alaskan who is in dire need of that duct tape. Go find her, and help her slap some of that tape over her mouth. Preferably with super glue. Kthx!

January 21, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  4. sirlancealot

Mike1952,, they are thinking about if they want to have hate on them or not .they know who they are but people like you make it a bad think grow up

January 21, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  5. Chipster

To Jeff,
    According to your post, I should never have married my husband because he's sterile. According to you, my father should never have married again after my mother passed away because he and my stepmother are beyond procreation years.

I have news for you, Jeff! People get married for more reasons than simply to populate the world! Some of us marry because we love someone. I'm so sorry you haven't experienced that.

Regardless, of your reasons, you have no right to discriminate against other who have the right to commit to another consenting adult if they so choose. It's a "Constitutional" thing, not a dictated one.

January 21, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  6. mathilda2

Jeff says "the reason you get married is to have a family ... two women or two men having sex will not create nothing". I recently got married for the first time, and due to my age it is quite likely that I will not be able to have biological children. Tell me, Jeff, does that mean that MY marriage should be invalid? Presumably your god did not want me to have illegitimate children, nor to have children and then get divorced because I married the wrong man, so where do I fit in to this master plan? Why, the only option that I can see is that I support gay marriage, being as I am also apparently a misfit in the eyes of YOUR god.

January 21, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  7. Reagan

The arguments against gay marriage have been used against interracial marriages and women's rights. It will destroy marriage, society, and the family unit. Religion in both cases was cited. Is this God's love? Gay marriage has been legal Spain, Canada, The Netherlands, a few other Scandinavian countries for some time now. Show me how Canada has devolved into a Somalia like state.

January 21, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  8. josiah

SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE – GOD IS A SACK OF CRAP

January 21, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  9. WI

I guess I am a fiscally con socially lib. I feel this can all be fixed if we simply call the legal status "civil union" and let "marriage" remain a religious issue. After their civil union process, if religion is important to the same sex couple (and to many it is of course) they can hopefully find a home where they are welcome and will be "married" also . But the gov't can stay out of that side.

This way the GOP can still keep their classic view on marriage itself, but ALSO return to being true to their creeds of small gov't, keeping gov't out of the lives of individuals, etc... It would be lovely if we could all shut up about this and move on to more important things.

Side to those who have had this criticism: if we make even same sex civil unions legal there will be just buddies marrying to receive benefits. Is there anything stopping guy/girl friends from doing this now, if it is such a rampant, appealing idea for people? Really a stretch.

January 21, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  10. Susan

Good for her!

For all of you saying she did wrong and we should not allow same sex marriage and abonish gays, think about this.... Those of you without sin may cast the first stone... so, I think you should shut it.

January 21, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  11. Henry Miller, Libertarian

@Mike1952:

Whether it is or it isn't, it's none of your business, is it?

Get a life, Mike, and keep your nose out of other people's lives.

January 21, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  12. David

Good for you Cindy! Way to stand up for what you believe is right. But be prepared to be lambasted by the far right-wing nuts of your party.

See below...

And Mikey (Mike1952)... you have about as much choice over your sexuality as you do about your favorite color. Wake up numbskull.

January 21, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  13. Amy

Wow, Mike1952! You have heard a hundred times from friends and family that they are trying to decide if they were gay? Are you sitting in a gay bar during this conversation? I guessing that is a "yes". No one decides to "be gay". Nice phobia, though. You seem like a real class act. I also had no idea the government sanctioned homosexualtiy. Is that run out of a local office or do I need to go to Washington to find out about that program?

This is why I can never be a republican. You are insane. My 16 year old son didn't decide to be gay. It is who he is and I love him just as he is.

January 21, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  14. Anonymous

"If I have heard once I have a hundred times from friends, relatives, and others that they have children who are trying to decide if they are homosexual. Trying to decide? I thought the argument was that this was not a choice." It's probably more like deciding whether to COME OUT in the face of being disowned or sanctioned by the family...the propects of being thrown out of a family at a young age for who they are cannot be easy.

January 21, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  15. Joe

Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the rights of individuals by government, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships. Government does not have the authority to define, license or restrict personal relationships.

January 21, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  16. Jason

@Mike1952- When did you "decide" that you are heterosexual? I bet never, and it is the same for us gays.

I am certain that your friends' children are coming to terms with the fact that they are gay. There are no "decisions" being made; instead, they are going through the anguish of realizing that there are many people out there (including you perhaps) who will hate them and stigmatize them simply because of whom they are attracted to.

Finally, trating humans equally by affording them basic civil rights is not "sanctioning" anything. Assume that a wife-beater gets divorced, then remarried– is the government sanctioning spousal abuse by letting him remarry? Of course not. (nb being gay and being violent are in no way equivalent, morraly or otherwise._

January 21, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  17. helen

According to the definition by Jeff, old people and barren people shouldn't be allowed to marry, and if heterosexual marriages don't produce children, they are invalid.

January 21, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  18. Matt

I have a feeling John McCain feels the same way, he is just forced to publicly present the view of his party.

Hey Jeff, just a heads up: if you actually use proper grammar and punctuation people might take your backwards views a little more seriously.

To Mike: the only reason they are "trying to decide" is because they will essentially be social outcasts in many circles if they embrace who they are. Many LGBTs never come out for this reason alone, or because they are taught growing up that who they are is an abomination.

January 21, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  19. Nick

It's not a choice Mike. I can guarantee you as a 28 year old man who works very hard at my job and already feels I'm taxed enough, I wouldn't willingly choose to have even more of my paycheck go to the government. But without the equal legal protections of marriage, my partner of 6 years and I do pay more taxes. I would never choose to be scared to death to have to tell my brother and my mom and dad. I would never choose to have to worry about someone finding out at work and it costing me my job. I believe sexuality is on a continuum and there are some people who are truly bisexual and can "choose" perse. However, I am not one of them. I'm also left handed. I didn't choose that, either. Did you choose your handedness or your sexuality? When did you DECIDE? I'm guessing you never had to, and its the same way for us! And as far as your relatives and friends having children trying to "decide" if they are gay.....it's probably the parents trying to figure it out or decide for them and not the other way around.

January 21, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  20. Billius

re: Jeff

"to whom it may concern the reason you get married is to have a family as we are a family with god two women or two men having sex will not create nothing it is a false love,false marriage,a falsehood. (sic.)"

Should we outlaw marriages between heterosexuals who do not want children? What about marriages between elderly people where the woman is post-menopausal and therefore incapable of having children?

Your argument, while a common one, does not hold water and from a legal standpoint doesn't stand a chance in a court of law. This argument has recently been roundly rebuked as valid by Judge Vaughn Walker, the judge hearing Perry vs. Schwarzenegger, the case to overturn Proposition 8 in California.

January 21, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  21. Joseph Smith

equality is a democrat thing.... looks like she is going to fail the purity test....

January 21, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  22. Lynn

"If I have heard once I have a hundred times from friends, relatives, and others that they have children who are trying to decide if they are homosexual. Trying to decide? I thought the argument was that this was not a choice." It's more like weighing the costs of coming out at a young age and being castigated and rejected by family members, like you.

January 21, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  23. john

To Jeff the mongoloid with diminished grammar skills and all his ilk : Shame on you for judging others so harshly. It is only man who has passed judgement on homosexuals. I have not heard nor seen trumpeting angels charging from the sky, descending upon the wicked. If they did I'm sure you would be surprised to see them pass the homosexuals by and impale you with their holy wisdom. Perhaps then you would realize that no love is false, no suffering permanent and the bickering of selfish shortsighted zealots like yourself hold no sway in the eyes of God. Fret not, we all will have our moment to be judged, so "do unto others" until that time comes.

January 21, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  24. Max

What a very encouraging story. Much respect to Cindy McCain. Kudos to her daughter! Thank goodness our kids have the common sense to be open-minded and think for themselves. We can all learn a lot from our children.

January 21, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |