January 21st, 2010

Cindy McCain poses for same-sex marriage campaign

(CNN) - Cindy McCain, the wife of the 2008 Republican presidential candidate, has posed for a Web site promoting same-sex marriage.

McCain, who's married to Arizona Sen. John McCain, appears in a photograph on the site with a piece of silver duct tape over her mouth and the slogan "No H8" written on her cheek.

The site's owners were stunned when Mrs. McCain came to them with the idea of posing for them, they said when posting her photo Wednesday.

"We've often been surprised at some of the different individuals who have approached us showing their support. Few, though, have surprised us more than Cindy McCain," wrote Adam Bouska and Jeff Parshley.

"The McCains are one of the most well-known Republican families in recent history, and for Mrs. McCain to have reached out to us to offer her support truly means a lot," they wrote.

"Cindy McCain wanted to participate in the campaign to show people that party doesn't matter - marriage equality isn't a Republican issue any more than it is a Democratic issue," they argued, saying it was "about human rights."

The McCains' daughter Meghan, a vocal supporter of same-sex marriage, also appears on the site.

"I couldn't be more proud of my mother for posing for the NOH8 campaign. I think more Republicans need to start taking a stand for equality," Meghan McCain wrote on her Twitter page.

Meghan McCain appears holding an elephant - the symbol of the Republican party - with tape over its tusks.

Running for president, John McCain said he believed marriage should be between one man and one woman.

He reiterated that view through a spokeswoman Thursday.

"Senator McCain respects the views of members of his family. The senator chaired the effort to successfully pass Arizona Proposition 102, the Marriage Protection Amendment, and his opposition to gay marriage remains the same," Brooke Buchanan said.

The No H8 campaign arose in response to California's back-and-forth on same-sex marriage - first approved by the courts, then overturned by voters in a statewide referendum called Proposition 8. The issue is back in court now.

Bouska, a photographer, launched the site with Parshley "as a silent protest," they wrote.

It showcases pictures of Californians who oppose Proposition 8, they wrote when it launched nearly a year ago. It expanded to include celebrities and other supporters of same-sex marriage, all appearing with duct tape over their mouths and "No H8" painted on their cheeks.

1. Scott, Mizzou

For all those leaving religious comments, you can just kiss it!!! You just have a bible passage for eveything and I'm sick of it.

January 21, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  2. Anita

To the person who says she wouldn't have done this living in the WH. That's only because the party wouldn't have let her. John McCain was a true Maverick – – until the party got a hold of him on their ticket. Then he was reduced to a shell of his former self and a parrot for the GOP decision makers. I can't even imagine how embarrassed he must have been having to pretend Palin deserved to be on that ticket. Best thing that happened for Cindy (and the rest of us) is them not getting into the WH.

January 21, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  3. walt

I hate people saying animals don't have gay sex. My male dog humps legs and male dogs. He doesn't care that its a dog, he tried to hump the cat!

January 21, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  4. Rick McDaniel

Good for Mrs. McCain. Better to put human rights above religious ideology.

January 21, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  5. Chipster

Bob, I don't understand your reasoning. Gays want the same rights that hetersexuals have – to marry and commit for a lifetime to the person they love and share the same legal benefits that have been denied.

If you don't hated gays, that's great but then why would you deny them the same rights that you enjoy? It does a person no good at all for you to feel kindness for them while you discriminate against them.

Sorry Bob, but you're only fooling yourself.

January 21, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  6. steve

why is tolerance and acceptance a rep or demo issue. none has to to suport or be against anyone's else right to choose. when did two people's decisions on a lifestyle hurt or threaten you. peace

January 21, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  7. nwcanadian

I believe one of their adopted children is gay. Conservatives who have gays within their families, and many do, normally hold more open-minded views on homosexuality.

January 21, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  8. Amy

Oh, and "Patriot":

"Even the pigs and dogs know that mating is supposed to be among physical gender opposites.
    However, when the mind-brain is out of kilter and the educational system is ineffective in helping to properly mature citizens, then 'anything goes' for unfortunate societies on the path of self-destruction."

Seriously? Seriously? This is your argument? Are you sure you don't want to go back to drawing board and try to find something with logic associated with it? I think we need to have a LONG conversation about who is dealing with a brain out of kilter.

January 21, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  9. Life's Quite Ripples

When I see procreation from a man-man and woman-woman union, I will stand up in support for same-sex marriage. Till then, talk all you want, shout all you want, scream all you want, bed all you want, rights for gay marriage is something that I will never stand for simply because it is NOT a marriage but a out-of-norm sexual union which the consenting partners want to legalize.

January 21, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  10. Anne In Houston,TX

Thank you Mrs. Mc Cain.

January 21, 2010 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  11. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

This just shows that Republicans have the ability to use reason and logic to arrive at conclusions based on real information from broad spectrum sources...

The vast majority of them just show that they won't/can't bring themselves to do it... OR, that they are so sure of themselves, their convictions/beliefs that they don't need to use logic or reason to gather broad spectrum information to arrive at logical reasonable conclusions because...

They "know the TRUTH!"

January 21, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  12. mike1972

Regardless of your religous beliefs refusing someones rights based on sexual preference is discrimination. All the talk about God is going down the wrong path. Unless they changed the bible I believe God gave all of us free will. That allows you or others to choose to follow him or not. It is not yours to decide whether they have to follow his will. Wasn't that Satan's idea; make us follow God's plan? Stop judging people and tend to your own house. The actions of gay's and lesbians does not effect how you practice your religion or your pursuit of happiness so let them live their lives as they see fit. If that is married to someone of the same sex what business is it of yours?

January 21, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  13. Barbara

Good for Mrs. McCain. The McCain women obviously have minds of their own.

January 21, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  14. kevin

I have no love for the gays. But i find it disgusting that people suppress them the way they do. If anyone thinks a gay person "chooses" this lifestyle, they are entirely ignorant. My suggestion is to actually ask gay people you know, did they "choose" or were they "born".

I view gayness as a birth defect. I dont walk around this planet abusing and suppressing people with birth defects.

The most revolting of all is to watch organized religion suppress these people. They lose their credibility with me. Might as well be suppressing the black people again, they have as much choice in being black as the gay person has in being gay.

People need to take their heads out of their butts and think for themselves. Ask questions. My god how dumb this country has become.

January 21, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  15. Jason B.

Just wait...the GOP will come out swinging because she's not "acting Republican enough". It almost like thinking for yourself is a huge sin in GOP circles.

Good for her though. The way things have gone lately, it's nice to see a Republican stand up and support something instead of just saying "no!"

January 21, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  16. David

I'm also very proud of Mrs. McCain. There should not be voters to deside civil rights of anyone that is an American. Gays pay taxes too, if you think about it they should'nt have to pay taxes with out full rights.

January 21, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  17. hampster

Kudos galore to Ms. McCain. It took quite a while to get over the shock of seeing a prominent Republican endorsing SAME SEX MARRIAGE/UNIONS. Hopefully, other republicans will wake up to the fact that human nature is not a political football to be kicked about depending on which way the political wind is blowing.

January 21, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  18. david, CA

homosexuality can often make people uncomfortable, including me.
    Even though I've had numerous gay friends, I still feel a little uneasy when two men or two women are kissing. I was taught that being gay is wrong and all that. But I personally don't believe that anymore.

Even if I did, we live in a society that cherishes the ideal of the advancement and protection of equal rights – including the right of gays to marry – whether you think they're sexual behavior is sinful or not.

All the arguments I've heard against gay marriage are predicated upon the condemnation or the diminishment of gays as people. Most of the arguments I've heard against gay marriage are patently absurd.

January 21, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  19. adam russell

She looks a lot younger than I remember from the campaign.

January 21, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  20. Don

OK, now where are the Cheney's going public on this issue? Mary is having her second child with her life partner. If they , Dick, and Liz, can promote the war and spew hate at Obama's every move, they should at least balance their world views for their family member. The former vice president who is most often identified with right wing politics is for same sex marriage. Why won't fox interview them on this issue? Why does the right wing not speak out against republicans who are for same sex marriage? Has Rush, Shaun, or Glenn boy had anything negative to say about the former disfunctional second family ?

January 21, 2010 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  21. OldUncleTom

Poor ol' John-boy... if he tells Cindy NO, she cuts off his allowance. And though Sarah may be a real fun girl, SHE can't get his name on every beer truck in AZ.

Call it "practical fidelity", if you will.

January 21, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  22. misanthropicus

Cindy McCain and Megham are two goofs – I like John McCain, but his 12th wise is a silly creature who just craves limelight. Gawd! When I see these buffoons! They crave fame and are used by all these weird causes like the gay-marriage bunch – think of Drew Barrymore expressing in her, perhaps not that insightful, but sincere way her FEELINGS about nukes, Darwin, or the Haldron collider -

January 21, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  23. Greene

I think they mean choice as to whether they want to act out on their natural homosexual desires and endure bigotry from "Christians" or hide their sexuality, marry (& have children) that they might later disappoint when they recognize their sexuality. I don't think anyone chooses to deal with the bigotry of people like you. It is hard for me to "choose" daily to deal with the bigotry of you against myself and my partner. Unfortunately, I am not sure if we will have equal rights of relationship recognition in my lifetime. I choose to be openly gay today so that the next generation will not fight the same battle for equal rights. Hope you enjoy your government protected relationship ("marriage") tonight.

January 21, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  24. Jacob

Well, I have a few different views on this. First, I am a conservative republican. With that being said, I was also raised with an openly gay aunt and an openly gay uncle. It was not uncommon for me at all to find my family spending Thanksgiving at my uncles house and to have everyone over at my grandmothers for Christmas. What we didn't see were open public displays of affection between my uncle and his "husband" (married in Barbados) or between my aunt and any of the long term girlfriends that she's had over the years. It's been about fifteen years since the last holiday and now both my uncle and his "husband" have full blown aids. They sort of disappeared from view about fifteen years ago to live the "lifestyle" down in South Florida. If you spend much time around the lifestyle of many (not all) in this demographic you will find a much "freer" attitude about sexuality than you will among typically straight couples. That attitude, I believe, is unhealthy to pass on to our children. It's not o.k. to say that you are in a "marriage" but then to go down to the local gay hangout and pick up another gay couple. This a marriage does not make, and I think it's this violation of traditional values that bothers people. So, I do not believe in gay marriage. I'm not opposed to granting gay couples certain rights that straight couples share (taxes and whatnot), but I simply don't want my kids growing up thinking this lifestyle while saying you are married is o.k. Does that mean it's wrong? Certainly you can't get around the religious side of this as many religions universally consider this to be sinful in varying degrees. Then again each person does have their own right to do whatever they want to in the U.S. This is a movement that can not and will not be stopped. It will inevitably be passed that same sex marriage is allowed; if not in this generation of political rulers than the next wll. It's the gradual easing of what is considered wrong over time which leads to these changes, and for better or worse we have too many celebrity figures at this point who put this way of life out into the world for all, young and old, to see. So, although I disagree with one degree of this I say pass the right to marry. You're an idiot if you think you're going to stop it anyway. Simply, as straight traditional people, use this as another reason to strongly relay traditional religious and family values to you kids so they are not confused. If you raise them to understand what "traditional family" means, and you pay attention to what they are being exposed too, you'll find, I think, that there isn't much to be afraid of here in the end.

January 21, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |