January 21st, 2010

Is Massachusetts vote a sign of things to come?

ALT TEXT

Is Scott Brown's victory in Massachusetts a sign of things to come? (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

Washington (CNN) – Political analysts say that emotions played as big a role as issues in Republican Scott Brown's earthshaking win this week in traditionally Democratic Massachusetts.

Related: Mr. Brown goes to Washington

And those emotions will appear likely to influence the rest of the political season into the November midterm elections.

"People are so angry out here in the real world they can't see straight," political analyst Jennifer Donahue said.

Independent voters can break an election. It happened in 2008 and once again in 2010.

A day after his victory to fill Ted Kennedy's old Senate seat, Brown said Wednesday the one thing he heard the most during his campaign was that people were tired of business as usual.

"That means the behind-the-scenes deals. ... They want to make sure that their elected officials are doing things in a transparent manner, and doing it with the best interests of our state and mine."

Full story

Related video: What's next for health care?

Follow Ed Hornick on Twitter: @hornickcnn

Filed under: Massachusetts • Scott Brown
  1. david, CA

in my mind one of the driving forces behind Coakley's defeat is her seeming tone-deafness, sense of entitlement, and political blandness. Democrats have somehow managed to defeat themselves since electing Obama (who I voted for and will vote again for). Those failed Dems who come to mind immediately are John Edwards, Roland Burris (even though he's a seated Senator, he's a born loser come election time), Nancy Pelosi (whose risen to leadership but has failed to prove she has any sense of direction), and Harry Reid (who has a look about him of weakness and confusion).

January 21, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  2. Washington DC Insider

This is a sign of things to come. The Independants are sick and tired of the Far Left hijacking our country. Even as a Blue Dog Democrat, I am tired of my own party complaining over and over again about Bush this, Cheney that...look we had a super majority, and we proved that it is not an easy problem to solve (e.g., economy, climate, healthcare, etc.). The American public is no longer willing to sit around and be told we need to SPEND SPEND SPEND to right our Economy and Healthcare. I hate to say it, but if Obama and the Liberal Democrats don't fix this partisian SECRET, BACKROOM politics, we'll see the party thrown out in November and then in 2012. Let's try to work together people.

January 21, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  3. Kathleen

To Shelly and WV,

YOU said it all. Ditto.

Massachusetts voted for Brown with only knowledge of a "few soundbites"!! They really did not know the man!!!!!!

January 21, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  4. haren

Most stupid people in the USA are independent voters.
    they gave us 8 years of bush, and now nothing is going to move in senate.
    Have a nice day this country is for rich people, poor should pack and go.

January 21, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  5. Kathleen

IF OBAMA FAILS, we, all do!!!

Except for the RICH AND THE WEALTHY!!!!!!

January 21, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  6. Scott Brownbagger Is A Fraud

Yeah, we can't wait to have a cloaked GOPer speaking for Democrats. Yeah, this is the sign of idiosy–I don't know what the citizens of Mass was thinking. But, I'll tell you this, nothing is going to stop the Dems from fighting. This gives us more amunition to fight for what we want. I'm disheartened with the Dems for allowing this man to spoil the 60 vote majority, but I hope they will just ignore him.

The reason this is news is because he doesn't appear to be as whacky as the tin-foil wearing teabaggers, but he is. And we will unveil the real Scott Brown. Trust me.

January 21, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  7. SY

No, Brown's election is not a sign of things to come. What is a sign of things to come is the Supreme Court's decision today to turn America over to the corporations. Politician's are already bought and sold but at least common people have some control when they go to the voting booth. Americans will no longer select candidates to run for political office, corporations will do that. Before we ever get to election time the candidates will already have been bought. Whichever corporation is the strongest and the wealthiest, insurance, oil, pharmaceuticals, banks, etc., will determine the winner.

January 21, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  8. Obama = WORST president EVER

@WV: Brown's election in Mass was all about anger? But elections of 2006 and 2008 were examples of what – sunshine, rainbows and lolipops?

The fact is, the government – led by HopeyChangey Obama – is arrogant and out of control. Obama, Pelosi and Reid spent the last year looking down their noses at the truck owners and taxpayers, while at the same time setting a new standard in shameful backroom deals and slimey backslapping. Welcome to hopey-changey!

If people are just "angry" in general, you'd see Republicans getting tossed too. Surprise Surprise – it's only Democrats. Wonder why that is?

January 21, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  9. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Cosmo Man is the result of a stupid and arrogant campaign run by cold fish Coakley and nothing more.....

January 21, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  10. Jon-In-Ca

FACT: Independent Americans want jobs – NOT Government mandated Healthcare, NOT cap-and-tax, NOT special deals to buy votes from Nebraska, Louisiana, Florida, Unions, etc.

FACT: Independents EXPECT Obama to keep his word about transparency... and NOT continue the closed-door back-room deals.

Obama and Democrats can either pull back the reigns and legitimately work with Republicans – or they can continue their current course which will create MORE Massachuesetts-Like results in November.

January 21, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  11. It Won't Work

This horseface is not going to be the Great White Hope, trust me. He may think he's John F. Kennedy, and he may have stolen the phrase "Yes we can", but he's not. He'll never be a Kennedy with his racist views, and no matter how much his teabaggers chant "Yes, we can", I'm here to say "No, they won't".

Too many people worked too hard to get President Obama elected for the GOPers to continue to steal our methods and cloak themselves around a pretend Kennedy legacy. It won't work, and they will not stand.

Note: Cindy McCain for same sex marriage? Give me a break, she's not even for traditional marriage because she slept with another woman's husband–John McCain. No GOPers, it won't work.

January 21, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  12. If you want something ruined let a democratic community organizer run it

Liberal democrats, so forgetful, so emotional. The kool-aid gang forgets that they have had a majority in Congress since 2006 and a SUPER majority since 2009. Yet the left wing rhetoric continues to blame the "party of NO" for their inability to do the work of the people.

The voters agreed to back nearly a trillion dollars in stimulus money with the promise from the chosen one that unemployment would not exceed 8%. That was a failure.

Health care became the next topic of choice. That too was a failure.

When will the kool-aid drinkers realize that their inability to recognize and deal with the real issues at hand that are the minds of the voters led to the refreshing overtures by independent voters in VA, NJ and now MA?

Stop blaming everyone else and get to work.

January 21, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  13. Orange Curtain, CA

Nope...he was just more articulate and more aggressive. MA was lucky to have one of the very few Senators that stood-up for the average person, instead of the lobbyists. Almost impossible to replace the "Lion".

January 21, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  14. Buyers Remorse

These so called political analysts are the ones who can't see reality. They think the American people are stupid and make knee jerk, emotional reactions. It's all about the issues and the people have been awoken by BO and the democrats trying to shove things down their throats.
    Good night Irene to BO and his socialist agenda.

January 21, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  15. normajean

I can't believe that the pundits are having a field day because ONE STATE voted in one Republican. You;d think that Elvis was back in the building. One Repub more or less is not going to put down The Democratic party and now that we see how the Repubs are playing the game, { illegally in some cases} you are going to see things start to fly. The Party of No is going to find that "yes" will work better if you are serious about rebuilding this country from the mess the Republicans left for the next administration to clean up..Isn;t it time for you Repubs to think about the thousands of people you have hurt, even your own?You working Republicans have as much right to a decent life as your political leaders,don't you?How about your jobs and,health care?

January 21, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. Lisa P

I think Brown is a sign of things we have already seen - good looks and fake populism to hide a retrogressive anti-democratic (note small "d") agenda. Sadly, you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time. With luck most of the people will have figured out their mistake by the time he's up for election "for real" in two and a half years.

January 21, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  17. The Party of NO stood calmly by for 8 years while the shrub raped and pillaged America, so, why would we listen to you now?

I missed a new "family value", pimping out your own daughters publicly, is now acceptable.

January 21, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  18. Lisa

Actually its quite funny. GOP elects a former centerfold into Congress, hahahahahaha...
    Hip Hop Steele, Caribou Barbie and now this guy...tsktsk.

January 21, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  19. NikiD

I voted for this president and supported him to the fullest. I am sad to say this but he lost my vote. It may only be one senate seat but it is a seat in the North East. Put that together with the fact that NJ voted in a Republican Gov., I would have to say this president is making it very easy to see why they call him a socialist. Leave the banks alone, let them fail or survive based on their performance. Leave my health insurance alone, don't tax me because I have good healthcare because I have a good job. If I make more money I will pay more taxes, that is fair and I am glad to do it but don't target me just because I make more money, that is socialism to the very core. Enough with the "bankers are bad", they are people with kids and families and bills just like everyone else. They went to college paid student loans and stayed out of trouble and now work to make a good living, isn't that the American Dream or is the new dream more of a Robin Hood version where I have to cover the costs while my neighbor collects unemployment. I am sure someone will argue that not everyone has the opportunity to go to college and yada yada yada, well I don't buy it, look at the President himself as the shining example of what hard work can bring regardless of the socio-economic background. I very much hoped this president would do what he said and now I see his much more left than even I could hope for. Far too left to get my vote again.

January 21, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  20. JohnP

Brown didn't blow Coakley away? The state has 3 times as many registered democrats as republicans. Yes, he received much support from independents, but he takes over a seat held by Ted Kennedy for almost 5 decades. Yes, he blew her away.

January 21, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  21. Rani McBride

January 21, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  22. normajean

One question on the economics side. Who took us to war in Iraq. How much money did the Iraq war cost[ in billions]? Enough said.

January 21, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  23. Wisconsonite

I'm a Democrat who doesn't see Brown's win in Mass as a (neccesarily) bad thing. I think the Democratic party and also the President do have to self-correct. I was not happy at all with the way health insurance reform was being handled. That being said, I would like to see supporters of the Repbulcan party to start being able to expect their party to self-correct as well. We should expect better from all of our elected officials. One party is not all good and neither party is all bad. The problem, from my point of view, is that the Republican party has chosen to be absent from the work they have been elected to do. That is to fix what's wrong with this country. Our government is supposed be about checks and balances. You can't have checks and balances with one side constantly saying "no" but not offering any solutions.

January 21, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  24. jack in denver

For the sake oh hummanity this man needs to fail

January 21, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  25. Greg Pottstown PA

if Obama and congress move to the center they could stop this momentum. If they keep going down the current path they will have big problems come November.

I love reading some of the comments hear. I just can't believe that some people still think that Obama is doing everything he can to get jobs back. Even harder to fathom is that people are willing to blame bush for everything. If bush was killing the economy so badly over the last 8 years why didn't Reid and Pelosi do something about it in 2006?

Obama has only had one year but the dems have had control for 3 full years now. Why didn't they spend time trying to save the economy instead of trying to stop supplies form getting to our troops?

January 21, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |