January 22nd, 2010

A presidential boost for Kay Bailey Hutchison

Former President George H.W. Bush endorsed Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison in her bid to become Texas governor on Friday.

(CNN) - Former President George H.W. Bush and First Lady Barbara Bush endorsed Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison Friday in her bid to overtake the incumbent Texas Gov. Rick Perry in a Republican primary in March.

"She has proven herself as an effective leader for Texas," the former president said in a press conference with reporters. He added that he had a long-standing offer to Hutchison to back her in a bid for the Texas governorship. "Today, we are very happy to have a chance to fulfill that commitment."

"Barbara and I are taking this unusual step of endorsing Kay in this primary not because we oppose Rick Perry," Bush said, "…but because of our unbridled belief in Kay."

1. stormerF

I think they should pass a law requiring politicans to wait at least 10 years before seeking another political position,and they for sure should resign to run for another political office and not do it on the backs of the Tax Payers.

January 22, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  2. Franky, Land of Lincoln

I think this one is gonna be a good one but I don't know, I think Kay has a chance but Texas leans way to the right...I mean, way to the right. They hold to their principles very well, it'll be interesting how she tries to get those votes because let's face it, she's gonna need those votes no matter what.

January 22, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  3. Stephanie (Washington, D.C via San Antonio, TX)

Finally! A Bush with some sense...

January 22, 2010 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. james

The tired old politicians can have Kay Perry. The conservative base of Texas is behind Debra Medina.

January 22, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. Carl from MI

Yeah... unbridled belief that's she not an idiot to continue the whole, "We're Texas, so let's seceed from the USA".

Rick Perry is EXACTLY the kind of Republican stereotype that's lowered the IQ of our nation by leaps and bounds!!

January 22, 2010 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  6. Dieter Zerressen

Wow, throwing the incumbant Governor under the bus. Come on tea baggers – throw your weight behind Rick Perry already! I want this to be a knock out drag out mud slinging primary.

January 22, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  7. Diane

This proves the divisiveness between Cheney and Bush. Cheney back Perry... should confirm these two don't get along

January 22, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  8. French Vanilla

We will certainly take her over that crook Rick Perish!!

January 22, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  9. Ben in Texas

Who cares about the endorsement, now that Bush's Carlisle Group and Cheney's Halliburton can just buy the election for Hutchison? I wonder how many executives of Carlisle and Halliburton are foreign nationals? The governorship of Texas, along with all other offices above the level of dog catcher, will be solely owned by corporations, many of which have foreigners hostile to American interests at their head.

January 22, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  10. David New Braunfels, TX

Rick Perry needs to be shipped to another country. His actions are a disgrace to this entire country. I am not a Republican. However, Ms: Hutchison will get my support. The dems that are running just don't have what Texas needs. Texas needs first and formost INTEGRITY, schools that are not at the bottom of the list, and fairness for ALL, even if their skin is not white. We do not need to discuss who horribly females are treated in this state. It is indecent to say the least.
    BTW: I am not saying the dems have no integrity, this I do not know.

January 22, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  11. NotFooledTX

Only in TX would an endorsement by any of the Bushs be favored.

That's not speaking too highly of Tx.

January 22, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. Keeth in California

It would be good to see Perry gone, but not in favor of Hutchison. KBH declared perjury a high crime when Clinton lied, but then claimed it was only a technicality when Scooter Libby lied. Which one had greater ramifications for national security??? Real classy, KBH. Party before country.

January 22, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  13. Rob Johnson

I guess it is possible for me to agree with a Bush about something :)

I'm not a big Hutchison fan, but anybody with eyes and ears can tell she is superior in every way to Perry, one of the most embarrassing Republicans in the country.

January 22, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  14. ICARE

Why does she want the job? She believes she will be better than him? What makes her better than him/ This, I want to know

January 22, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  15. probama in paradise

So there, governor goodhair!

January 22, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  16. Ancient Texan

Got mixed emotions with Kay. She's been pretty good in the Senate, hate to lose her there. I also think Rick Perry has done well as governor. Hate to think about fixing what ain't broken.

January 22, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  17. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

How rich is this, Pappy Bush is endorsing the opponenet of his oldest son's hand-picked Lt. Governor?!?!?! Oh, wait, Pappy Bush recommended Perry to "W" in 1994.

Of course, with her interest in the land being sought for the I-35 Super Corridor, Hutchison can't be in the U.S. Senate – COI – but as governor there's no problem. Nice to see her motives are purely based on the interests of the people, eh?!

January 22, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  18. I'm Rush Limbaugh and I say . . .

One can only hope that Kay and Rick beat each other senseless.

January 22, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |