January 26th, 2010

Clinton 'deeply resents' criticism of U.S. aid mission

Secretary of State Clinton said Tuesday that she 'deeply resents' of the U.S. aid mission in Haiti.

Washington (CNN) - The State Department said Tuesday afternoon it had been critical of some news organizations, including al Jazeera and CNN, for their coverage of the U.S. relief efforts in Haiti.

Earlier in the day Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she deeply resented some of the news reports on U.S. assistance to Haiti.

"I have absolutely no argument with anyone lodging a legitimate criticism against our country. I think we can learn from that. And we are foolish if we keep our head in the sand and pretend that we can't," Clinton told a town-hall meeting at the State Department, marking her one-year anniversary on the job.

"On the other hand, I deeply resent those who attack our country, the generosity of our people, and the leadership of our president in trying to respond to historically disastrous conditions after the earthquake. So what we're asking for is that people view us fairly," Clinton said.

Clinton did not single out any particular news agency, saying only "some of the international press either misunderstood or deliberately misconstrued what was a civilian and military response, both of them necessary in order to be able to deliver aid to the Haitians who desperately needed it."

Later her spokesman, P.J. Crowley, in his regular afternoon briefing at the State Department, mentioned both al Jazeera and CNN.

"We have had, I have had, direct conversations with our friends at al Jazeera for example," Crowley said. "We have spent sometime critiquing what we felt was unfair, unbalanced coverage of operations in Haiti. So we have those conversations when we think coverage is unfair. Occasionally we have had those conversations with CNN."

Pressed for more detail of State Department objections to CNN coverage, Crowley said "I'm done on this topic."

Filed under: Extra • Haiti • Hillary Clinton • Obama administration • Popular Posts • State Department
  1. larry johnson

help haiti put americans on the street what is going on im sure all the hatians are feeling sorro but what are they doing for thier own country its easy to sit here and say help them when your not helping your own country

January 26, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  2. Jimmy James

Shame on anyone criticizing this country or it's citizens about anything to do with Haiti. We are by far the most generous country in the world. Our military has turned a airport that handles 30 flights a day to almost 200 flights a day and we are doing it under devastating conditions. Our country has been pouring millions a year into that country even before the devastating earthquake. The UN has been useless there like everywhere else they go. I am not a big supporter of Obama or his administration but he has done a outstanding job with such a catastrophe. Most nations criticizing us have done little if anything by comparison.

January 26, 2010 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  3. Mrs. S Callahan

Wow! I am taken aback.....CNN criticized the US? Did I miss this one....

I thought you were bringing attention to the deficencies so that US could take the lead (that is their own words, right?)...I would call that 'helpful'....... I'm can't stop chuckling.....CNN...lol lol lol

January 26, 2010 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  4. Patrick

That CNN's coverage was self-aggrandizing, and unscrupulously intended to propel the reputations and careers of the likes of Anderson Cooper, Russell Honoré, and Sanjay Gupta should cover it. Their off-the-mark opinions and assertions only served to misinform viewers about the real logistical challenges of responses to natural disasters of such magnitude. Not one of them are the heroes that their surrogates have proclaimed them to be. They should all apologize to the public, resign in shame, and permanently retire from public life after this unbalanced faux 'News Coverage'.

January 26, 2010 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  5. Robert

So the White House declined to provide more detail on their objections to CNN's coverage, but I'm a bit baffled as to why CNN itself can't provide some details on particular coverage that offended the White House. After all, Secretary Clinton says there have been conversations with CNN about this. Where is your reporting within your own organization?

January 26, 2010 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  6. Greg, MN

People still complain about Katrina, but we can not talk about Haiti??? Did this administration not learn???

January 26, 2010 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  7. Bill

I find it interesting that al Jazeera would comment on the actions of the U.S. during this tragedy. In all the coverage I've read and heard, I have not heard of ANY aid from Arab countries. If such aid has been sent and I didn't hear of it, it is most surely miniscule by comparison to that from the U.S.

January 26, 2010 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  8. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

So it was fine to criticize Katrina, but not Haiti?

January 26, 2010 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  9. If You Want Something Ruined Let a Democratic Community Organizer Run It

I'm deeply resented that I have to look at her. As groundskeeper Willy put it....

"Yeeeee, back to the Loch with you Nessie."

P.S. – Where is the liberal resentment toward Conan the Librarian getting a $33 million cash out for 7 months work?

January 26, 2010 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  10. Runofthemill

Well, ayatollah limbaugh said President Obama just engineered the earthquake as part of his diabolical plot to take over all the whiteys with legions of brown people from around the world. And he said not to donate and issued a fatwah to that effect. And that's good enough for me. Got to go because I can't find my tinfoil hat, and besides, someone took my go to meeting headgear and used it to make a cup of tea!

January 26, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  11. Bob44

I'm with you on THAT Hillary! What Arab countries can possible come close to the financial and humanitarian aid we've given Haiti??

January 26, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  12. isabell

I totally agree with Honorable Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton! Media outlets in America are working OVERTIME to take down this President and his Administration!! Thank you, Mrs. Clinton for speaking your mind on the Haiti relief subject!! You are a LEADER, not a follower, and are working diligently in your efforts to help the Haitians. And further, you are doing an AWESOME job as Secretary of State!! Continue to speak YOUR OWN TRUTH as well as BEING AUTHENTIC!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK YOU ARE DOING, IN HAITI, AND ELSEWHERE!!!

January 26, 2010 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  13. Ilene

Oh, how I wish for a President Hillary Clinton.

January 26, 2010 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  14. Troy

Its great to see CNN exploiting what it sees as our Governments mistakes and shortcoming through investigative reporting. This makes CNN look like the most fair and balanced news there is. I was also shocked to see CNN exposing recepients of the stimulus money who are defrauding the government. I would think that FOX news would be the one leading the charge again the administration, but I am not sure they do investigative reporting or report in the newsroom what is given to them from Rush and Steele.....

January 26, 2010 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  15. Michael Hsu

There's actually such a thing as being too generous. With Haiti, after a few billions of tax dollars in aid, and with little to show for it, isn't it time to stop wasting money on a lost cause? You would've thought that with the previous billions of dollars that the US gave to haiti, that the haitians would've been smart enough to spend it on building reinforcement (i.e., building code) improvements. So, how were those billions of free U.S. dollars spent / wasted?

January 26, 2010 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  16. Jim

I'm still pissed off at the French diplomat that trashed the US regarding our relief effort (occupying Haiti). That was a CHEAP SHOT, and this American wants an apology. Sounds like a Republican trying to get votes.

January 26, 2010 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  17. Mark

If it wasn't for th United States, who would help EVERY other nation??? NOONE. The U.S. is constantly criticized, yet it ALWAYS does the most in the world.

January 26, 2010 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  18. Sophie Martin

I do wish that we would get more positive news about the great things America is doing..... We really don't know much of what our country is doing in Haiti....and where it has been successful...

Sophie cares

January 26, 2010 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  19. Roark

"...vast right-wing conspiracy..."

"...I did not have...sexual relations...with THAT WOMAN...Ms. Lewinsky..."

Whatever, Hillary. You've already proven yourself to be a patholigical liar in a sham of a marriage. Just shut your pie hole.

January 26, 2010 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  20. Stu - Las Vegas

I agree totally with the SOS !

Please remember CNN, where you came from

January 26, 2010 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  21. Thank you Massachusetts

Well now, are the people who criticized President Bush after Katrina the ones who are being criticized now? And Bush took the rap for the incompetency of a state governor and city mayor who basically told him they had a handle on things. Oh how things come back to bite ya.

January 26, 2010 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  22. Andrew

Clinton, continue doing what you're doing for the people of Haiti. They're the ones who appreciate it so all others don't matter!

January 26, 2010 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  23. Laurie

Amen, I think Anderson Cooper is a little exhausted and when you are in the middle of the whole crisis and seeing the suffering you want more and you don't understand why it can't happen. There are no easy answers to rescuing an entire country with one landing strip and a destroyed port and no infrastructure before the crisis and no local government in control. It never plays out like in a scripted movie. Give the US a break.

January 26, 2010 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  24. Donnie

Yeah Hillary, because people always view us fairly...

Now you know how Bush felt when he didn't show up after those told to "leave" did not in New Orleans. Just view us fairly... clowns.

January 26, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  25. J.C. - Independent 4 Public Option

Take it easy, Secretary Clinton! Whatever we do or don't do, we will be criticized, because we are No. 1.

January 26, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |