January 26th, 2010

Clinton 'deeply resents' criticism of U.S. aid mission

Secretary of State Clinton said Tuesday that she 'deeply resents' of the U.S. aid mission in Haiti.

Washington (CNN) - The State Department said Tuesday afternoon it had been critical of some news organizations, including al Jazeera and CNN, for their coverage of the U.S. relief efforts in Haiti.

Earlier in the day Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she deeply resented some of the news reports on U.S. assistance to Haiti.

"I have absolutely no argument with anyone lodging a legitimate criticism against our country. I think we can learn from that. And we are foolish if we keep our head in the sand and pretend that we can't," Clinton told a town-hall meeting at the State Department, marking her one-year anniversary on the job.

"On the other hand, I deeply resent those who attack our country, the generosity of our people, and the leadership of our president in trying to respond to historically disastrous conditions after the earthquake. So what we're asking for is that people view us fairly," Clinton said.

Clinton did not single out any particular news agency, saying only "some of the international press either misunderstood or deliberately misconstrued what was a civilian and military response, both of them necessary in order to be able to deliver aid to the Haitians who desperately needed it."

Later her spokesman, P.J. Crowley, in his regular afternoon briefing at the State Department, mentioned both al Jazeera and CNN.

"We have had, I have had, direct conversations with our friends at al Jazeera for example," Crowley said. "We have spent sometime critiquing what we felt was unfair, unbalanced coverage of operations in Haiti. So we have those conversations when we think coverage is unfair. Occasionally we have had those conversations with CNN."

Pressed for more detail of State Department objections to CNN coverage, Crowley said "I'm done on this topic."

Filed under: Extra • Haiti • Hillary Clinton • Obama administration • Popular Posts • State Department
  1. Katherine

That's absolutely right. There is no reason to criticize those who are giving to relief efforts in Haiti. Those who criticize need to go get a life!

January 26, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  2. Tim Striley

Yet it was okay for you to criticize our former President for his handling of the Katrina disaster and for not jumping up and being dramatic in front of classroom full of kids and the world on 9/11. In my opinion, Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta deserve awards for their reporting. Dr. Gupta not only has reported and personally saved lives, but his observations of the situation are important and credible...after all he was considered for the administrations position of Surgeon General! Noticing and documenting problems in situations such as this is important so that we learn and are better prepared next time!

January 26, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  3. m smith

with all the obsticals facing us I think the US and the world at large did a better than average job in Haiti . The US has always been generious and worked hard to save lives. This president was quick to act.

January 26, 2010 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  4. Tom

I vote everyone treat the administration the same way they treated the past administration after Katrina, didn't hear much mention of "historically disastrous conditions" at that time.

January 26, 2010 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  5. Jameelah Johnson

Bravo, Secretary Clinton. Instead of complaining and pointing fingers; why don't the rest of the do more to help instead of trying to score some political points or higher ratings for their respective news agency.

January 26, 2010 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  6. Bob from Pittsburgh

If you have contribute to the rescue effort in Haiti, if you have given to the effort, then you have the right to say something..

If you have not contribute, then shut up..

I believe Americans have been very generous with the earthquake victims. Please note I am not an AMERICAN.. But fair is fair. Some of my neighbors have come to my door asking for donations, I have contribute a large amount, I believe I have so much more than the people of Haiti that a good contribution will not hurt me but make me a better person. I don’t attend church, but I feel closer to God by doing as such.

People from all over the world have assisted in the rescue efforts in Haiti. But Americans have done more then their fair share. I will call a spade a spade.

Regards

A Latino in Pittsburgh

January 26, 2010 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  7. Dee

I absolutely agree with Secretary Clinton. Many people in the US and other countries are contributing food, money, time, and other items for the Haitian people. For CNN and other news channel criticize these efforts is completely unfair. Haiti is a developing country, one of the poorest in the Western Hemisphere, life expectance is in the mid 40's. They had poor/limited infrastructure before the earthquake. The US and other countries are not working in a developed country. Unfortunately, Haiti has a history of undevelopment.

January 26, 2010 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  8. always proud dem in nc

You go Hillary!!! People should not bite the hand that feeds them.

January 26, 2010 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  9. once upon a horse

too bad she didn't mention Rush Limbaugh by name. The help the US is giving the people of Haiti coming from both the right and the left after what he said about them must be chapping at his hide. I resented it and it appears others did as well.

January 26, 2010 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  10. Michael from Ventura

Well said Hillary!

January 26, 2010 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  11. Dem TIl death

The U,S is a great nation with a big heart. Our people represent the best the world has to offer. God bless the U.S.A. and the people of Haiti.

January 26, 2010 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  12. Stewart

CNN reports things unfairly? No, really? Next you'll be telling me Fox isn't as fair and balanced as they claim!

January 26, 2010 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  13. Jackie

I'm proud of Sec. Clinton, I hope she keeps up the good work she is doing.

January 26, 2010 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  14. Bill

Seriously? We give a crap what that cowardist propoganda machine, al Jazeera says about us? Why we haven't blown every single tower that broadcasts their cowardly agenda to bits is beyond me. What we have done for Haiti as a country is far above and beyond what any other country or group has done. I think any criticism against our countries efforts are strictly a lame attack on our country as a whole. Note: I said "cowardist" instead of terrorist because that is what they are, cowards.

January 26, 2010 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  15. Brian in California

CNN, let me ask something here. WHERE at any point in this article does it show Clinton "slamming" the media??

I feel the need to ask since that is how your headline link on the main page described it.

I thought Fox was the network that was misleading. Please tell me you're not moving in that direction.

January 26, 2010 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  16. tailor

Just for what its worth why are we Americans so eager to help people outside of the United States but we aren't willing to help our neighbor. We didn't come to the rescue of New Orleans as quick as we helped Haiti....We don't hellp our neighbors who have lost jobs hard working mill jobs not CEO positions and can no longer feed their family or provide shelter for their kids. We let our neighbors suffer so we can make headlines to the world.

January 26, 2010 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  17. JIM, MIAMI BEACH, FLORIDA

Oh Yes, she's always worried about people being unhappy with her husband. Her husband has overshadowed Obama when it comes to Haiti. Bill Clinton is the sultan of haiti and no one had better screw with him or his wife.

What in the world was Obama thinking when he engaged the Clintons to compete with him during his White House stay?

Oy Vey.

January 26, 2010 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  18. m smith

I think most of you guys should move over to fox news. I have read comments about the State of the Union speech before it has even been given .YOu are saying how bad it is. Nasty remarks because the first lady has invited the two police officers who stopped the shooter at Fort Hood. A practice that all presidents have done. Comments about the President that are tresionist. INstead of the United States where people work togeather all I hear is hate and nonsense from half the people that write in. Go to Fox where you stupid retoric will be appreciated and leave room for people to discuss the issues with real comments and good suggestions and ideas.

January 26, 2010 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  19. Jane Eastwood

I totally agree with \Ssecretary Clinton. The UK and Canadian media, not to mention some US media, have indeed been negative - but then they always are about any topic. I don't watch CNN so can't comment.

The ignorance of, and lack of appreciation as to what the aid efforts involve, is truly astounding as is the seeming ignorance of that unhappy country's history.

January 26, 2010 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  20. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

There is NOTHING about Obama I like - and I'm quite sure Hillary agrees. Still - she prostitutes herself for Obama the Media Mirage! How sad for Hillary!

January 26, 2010 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  21. Juanita

criticism coming from anyone because someone else helped out is to be totally ignored and recognized for the ignorance it is! I am getting sick to death of all the crap coming from people! This is the kind of thing that makes one go run in the woods and not come out. Is this what humanity has become? now people can't help others? this is just beyond sad.

January 26, 2010 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  22. SAM DACOSTA

The US Govt. responded quickly (whether other Govts. responded quicker is not the question) and the American people went far and above with their donations toward Haiti relief. What more do you want from the US? We're engaged in 2 wars, our troops are deployed oversees, and our resources are pulled thin. Then to add 'fuel to fire' the country is enduring a recession, with millions laid off and un-employed. The generosity of the US and it's citizens should not be questioned at this time. Who's going to be there for the long haul?

January 26, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  23. Al Campbell

Clinton is absolutely right, I get tired of the negative reporting
    of CNN, Obama is working hard to pull this country out the
    mess he inherited, and CNN can do nothing but paint a
    negative picture of everything he attempts. What happened
    to respect for the president that we had once upon a time

January 26, 2010 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  24. Mr Right

Yea you dems were really fair to good old puncing bag George W. when Katrina hit. This shoe on the other foot hurts doesnt it.

January 26, 2010 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  25. Tanbiker2

Hilllary is right. We're trying hard to take better care of the poor folks in Haiti than GWBush ever did in sending aid to the poor folks of New Orleans.

January 26, 2010 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |