January 26th, 2010

Clinton 'deeply resents' criticism of U.S. aid mission

Secretary of State Clinton said Tuesday that she 'deeply resents' of the U.S. aid mission in Haiti.

Washington (CNN) - The State Department said Tuesday afternoon it had been critical of some news organizations, including al Jazeera and CNN, for their coverage of the U.S. relief efforts in Haiti.

Earlier in the day Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she deeply resented some of the news reports on U.S. assistance to Haiti.

"I have absolutely no argument with anyone lodging a legitimate criticism against our country. I think we can learn from that. And we are foolish if we keep our head in the sand and pretend that we can't," Clinton told a town-hall meeting at the State Department, marking her one-year anniversary on the job.

"On the other hand, I deeply resent those who attack our country, the generosity of our people, and the leadership of our president in trying to respond to historically disastrous conditions after the earthquake. So what we're asking for is that people view us fairly," Clinton said.

Clinton did not single out any particular news agency, saying only "some of the international press either misunderstood or deliberately misconstrued what was a civilian and military response, both of them necessary in order to be able to deliver aid to the Haitians who desperately needed it."

Later her spokesman, P.J. Crowley, in his regular afternoon briefing at the State Department, mentioned both al Jazeera and CNN.

"We have had, I have had, direct conversations with our friends at al Jazeera for example," Crowley said. "We have spent sometime critiquing what we felt was unfair, unbalanced coverage of operations in Haiti. So we have those conversations when we think coverage is unfair. Occasionally we have had those conversations with CNN."

Pressed for more detail of State Department objections to CNN coverage, Crowley said "I'm done on this topic."

Filed under: Extra • Haiti • Hillary Clinton • Obama administration • Popular Posts • State Department
  1. T'SAH from Virginia

Wow – CNN was there from DAY 1... They reported what they saw!! They were on the INSIDE of the disaster and when you are on the INSIDE – it's very difficult to see what's happening on the OUTSIDE. At times, it did seem GRIM!!

I got upset at times when CNN reported the aid WAS NOT reaching the victims but quickly concluded that there are obstacles in the way.

I commended CNN on their coverage.

The only person I recalled that was heavily "criticizing" the Haitian efforts was this general that handled the Katrina tragedy. He criticized the relief efforts and I IGNORED him because EVERY situation is DIFFERENT!!!

January 26, 2010 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  2. w samuels

Al Jazeera has a lot of nerve-where are the Opec countries and Moslem countries that have received so much disaster aid pledging help to Haiti?/ Has Dubai-which has the money to build skyscrapers pledged anything–or Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc. etc. To date I have only seen a small amount pledged by Morocco and Indonesia.

January 26, 2010 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  3. M J

Very flattering photo CNN. Is that how your producers get back at people who criticize you? No, in Clinton's case you simply tell lies about them (1993-2001-"$200 haircut on AF! inconveniencing thousands!! among countless others). I will be awaiting your censoring of this comment-even though it is accurate, withour one vulgarity and non-threatening.

January 26, 2010 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  4. WL

I think the US military involvement in the Haiti relief was a complete disaster, out of control and no central coordination. Images of troops landing in Haiti looked as if the US was invading Haiti, carrying rucksacks on their back and heavy weapons in front of their chest. This is a country in complete ruins and there was no need to see soldiers just standing and patrolling with their weapons on Haitain grounds. What they could have done is carry spads, medical supplies, food anything to help rescue the victims. And where was the Haitian government? If the US want to send troops they should learn from the Chinese earthquake in Sechuan how the peoples republican army really helped the victims, never saw a soldier carry a gun instead they carried SPADS.

January 26, 2010 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  5. anna

Gotta love her guts...

January 26, 2010 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  6. Dale Sorenson

t o all those who criticize our aid and assistance to our friends who are at
    the mercy of something they did not cause...I say this.....Trade places with
    any one who has been affected by this devastation.......then .....would your spiel be affected. Stick to what you first criticized and were so humanitarian about and I sincerely hope I never have you as a neighbor!
    Kick 'em when they're down tells me what your made of.

January 26, 2010 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  7. Nick

Right – but come on, Hils. You bashed Bush when he was "trying" to respond amidst the "historically dangerous" conditions of Katrina. Did I miss the memo that criticizing a slow political response to a disaster is no longer kosher? It was very easy for Democrats to pontificate from afar without having to be accountable. Now they deserve a taste of their own medicine.

January 26, 2010 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  8. DBelcher

We should of had reserve medical units (hospitals, etc.) called up and on site in 48 hours, staffed by doctors and nurses pulled from Iraq. More troops and equipment sent for resue and humanitarian aid, and there in shorter time. Temporary airfields that military planes can land on should have been set up.

January 26, 2010 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  9. JP

As much as I like, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, I disagreed with her for slaming CNN and al Jazeera. CNN and its patners did an outstanding job covering the situation in Haiti. I was suprised when I learned that China had two air crafts landed in Haiti before US deplored one. How far is China to Haiti? That's my point. It's her job to defend her country just as it is for CNN, but the truth is hard to hide sometime. Whatever reason that US had to let China arrived with aid to Haiti before they did, it just didn't look good. As a Haitian person, I am very grateful for CNN and specially to the American people generosity and love. I believe our leaders got to show that they care people not only for their agenda and interest in other countries.
    Thank you to you all at CNN.

January 26, 2010 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  10. Ron Jackson

Bad press about the United States of America is nothing new. Why should we be shocked if for example al Jazeera publishes yet another slandering article about Americans? Much can be said about al Jazeera's news articles and the human effort they put in to publish them. Much can be said about typical anti-Americanism in general. Thus I challenge every nation state and news media on Earth; If Americans are so bad, what have you done to save lives in Haiti? How fast did you act to save those who were still alive? How much effort did you put into what you did? How much effort are you putting in now?

January 26, 2010 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  11. JimD Palatine

I agree with Hillary entirely. There was little praise for the US effort and restrictions that we could work under. Where do these people get off thinking we can just walk in an take over. Keep in mind that Haiti already had two authorities there. The so called Hatian government and the UN presence. I am still wondering how a particular family got so much air time for their child and their "demands" on the US government. How long did it take to clean up the WTC debris and how small geographically was that to the widespread devastation in Haiti, not to mention the need to transport by air and sea where there was no place really adequate to handle the loads.

January 26, 2010 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  12. Bill Kolek

I beg to differ with Mrs. Clinton, but the response from the military "higher ups" in Haiti was pathetic. The general in charge at the airport ,over and over, said all the supplies, piled high at the airport, could not be delivered to the people in Port-au-prince because of security concerns. If he said it one more time, I would scream. He made excuse after excuse. No one wanted excuses. People were dying. Legs and arms were being amputated. He gave us excuses. The populace had no water, food or medical supplies. No attempt was made to drive trucks into the city with life saving supplies. Again, he made excuses. He should be made accountable for all the deaths and lifelong disabilites he caused.

January 26, 2010 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  13. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

She's right.

Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta used to represent what was fair and balanced at CNN.

Their constant sniping at what has been an expensive and difficult rescue and recovery mission make them look like nothing more than spotlight seeking headline hunters. They should be ashamed.

I have no doubt that the military and civlian relief workers are doing all they can to help ease the suffering of the Haitian people.

They are not always successful, and things don't always go as planned. But these military and civilian relief workers are there, and they do not have to be; they need to be appreciated and told thank you not reviled.

Again, Cooper and Gupta should be ashamed of themselves.

January 26, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  14. Mike

I really wish they would put our country first. There are tons of homeless and starving families that live in our country. There are tons of sick people who can only hope for a cure. Does the money go to them? No it goes to other countries. Instead of sending out millions of dollars to a poor country, give the money to American charities?

January 26, 2010 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  15. tim

why is it that we, the USA, have to always come to the rescue? Yes, we are wealthy, but why don't other countries step up like we do?

January 26, 2010 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  16. Desmond in Canada

Yes, it seems that this is open season on a President whom everybody wants to "lynch".
    "Mother said be days like this!"
    US citizens, when will you appreciate the Prez you have????

January 26, 2010 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  17. MatthewDetroit

The FIRST part about your statement is the problem HIllary.

NO ONE should criticize the US.
    We DONATE and GIVE more to the world then ANY other country.
    Anyone that feels the need to criticize the US is a joke of a country.

Give me a break. We sponsor and guard the world. The world needs to respect our generosity.

What a joke.

January 26, 2010 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  18. Jim

CNN reporters in Haiti reported as if they were looking at the situation through a straw. Their reporters on the ground never did comprehend the full picture of what had happened and what was happening. Anderson Cooper was the poorest of all that I watched.

January 26, 2010 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  19. Steve

I have no problem with helping Haiti, but I think you should also help the needy here as well. But wait I forgot you don't give a crap out the US citizens.

January 27, 2010 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  20. busyMOM

it is the in thing to attack Americans & Obama without merit....

January 27, 2010 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  21. Nick in PA

Hillary has done a great job as SoS. I wish she had won the Presidency.

January 27, 2010 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  22. Paul Ernest show

This is no time for critism. There are no magic bullets to solve such disaster of unimaginable proportions. I applaud the global response and the world must continue to come to the aid of any country hit with such nature's fury. The media has no business pointing fingers, though I understand the are trained to do so. Some one ought to send some chill pills to CNN. Just cool out folks. It aint easy.

January 27, 2010 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  23. Mike H.

We've been unable or unwilling to take care of ourselves. As far as I'm concerned we have no business providing aid to Haiti, or any other nation until we get our own house in order. How can we be an example to the world with 10-percent unemployment, the highest incarceration rate of the western world, lack of health care for the poor, and the largest discrepency in income between the lowest and highest wage earners?

Sorry, but we need to take care of problems within our own borders before we venture out and lend a helping hand elsewhere.

January 27, 2010 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  24. CHA

you tell them HILLARY the UNITED STATES is there when needed.All those criticis, thats all they do no matter what the goverment tries to do!!!!!

January 27, 2010 12:41 am at 12:41 am |