January 26th, 2010

The first lady's guest list for State of the Union

ALT TEXT

The White House has announced that two police officers who responded to the shooting at Ft. Hood will join the first lady at the president's State of the Union address Wednesday night. (Photo Credit: Getty Images/File)

Washington (CNN) - Two heroes from last year's shooting at Ft. Hood will be among the guests for Wednesday night's State of the Union address. A White House official confirms that Sgt. Kimberly Munley and Sgt. Mark Todd will be seated with first lady Michelle Obama for the speech in the gallery above the House Floor.

The two officers responded to the November 5 shooting in a processing center at Ft. Hood where Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan went on a rampage killing 13 people and injuring dozens of others. Sgt. Munley, a civilian police offier, is credited with stopping the shooting spree by exchanging fire with the suspect and disabling him. She was injured in the shooting. Hasan was paralyzed from the waist down in the gunfight and now faces 13 charges of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

1. Keith In Austism

I love commenting on this site to drive the libtard, obozo, socialist nazi-maoists-fascists crazy.
    I post everyday cause I am a bored, pitiful, little man, alone in this bastion of Texas liberalism.
    Just me, my little thing and my lap top.

January 26, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Dar

They should have asked the people who beat the crap out of the terrorist on the plane on Chrismas day. They are the real hero's in my eyes. (I love cops but they were doing their jobs)

January 26, 2010 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. NC

Some of you people complain about everything. For those of you not old enough to remember or don't know history this tradition dates back to Former President Reagan. He had guests sitting with the First Lady for every State of The Union Address. The guests were always introduced to us and The President told us why the guest was invited.
    Yes there are so many people that contribute everyday in so many ways, unlike some of you that are so negative.

January 26, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  4. Linda C in Cal

I will show no respect for the Obama administration until they acknowledge that the Bush administration did a GREAT JOB fighting terrorists around the world – Bush kept America safe. Period!

Thanks to Scott Brown, Obama finally realized that he will not "fundamentally change America" – Americans have rejected his liberal vision of remaking America!

January 26, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  5. Clint

I think that this is just incredibly important. Otherwise, there would not be anything for the knee jerk criticizers to moan about or Fox to cover. While they debate and shake their heads about such important issues as the types of ornaments on the White House Christmas tree, they fail to identify or acknowledge the key issues that threaten the future of this once great country, issues that will never be addressed by the party of the status quo, the GOP (that's read Got Our Pile, the rest of you can kiss off).

January 26, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. Willy Brown

Who cares

January 26, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. Jim

Oh God, yet more nauseating rounds of standing ovations essentially for people just doing their jobs.

Put the republican senate in the gallery and make them the object of applause – oops, there won't be. They haven't done anything!

January 26, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. porchhound

ANYONE find the term TERRORIST or ISLAM in this article? It was a JIHAD SHOOTING by a MUSLIM FANATIC screaming ALLAH AKBAR! What is WRONG with you people?

January 26, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  9. Linda

Every president that I can remember has invited special guests to sit at a State of the Union speech. Yet, I have never heard of the practice being criticized before. I think it's a great idea and have always thought so, no matter who was president. If the invited guests didn't want to go I'm sure they wouldn't have accepted. I'm also sure they must be thrilled and honored and look forward to attending with the first lady.

Get a life. You all sound so bitter and negative, also very whiny.

Linda
    Sarasota

January 26, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  10. lifelong democrat

Greg Pottstown PA January 26th, 2010 12:49 pm ET

This is window dressing, nothing more.

======

Right on the money.......well said!

January 26, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  11. all the news that's fit to omit

Door holders will include Rev Wright and Bill Ayers, who have a "minor" knowledge of the President, but are just a couple of nice guys that want too pitch in.

Someone PLS sneak in a lie detector and it will beep all night, so much you will think you are watching Chef Ramsey.

He will appeal to the Kool-aid drinkers who will falll for his al of a sudden "populist pivot" based on nothing BUT polling.

More about politics than policies, but we NON-sheep already knew that.

January 26, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  12. Ben in Texas

I want to ask SocialismBad a couple of questions:

Are you against those socialist organizations known as the police, fire department, public schools and military?

Do you now, or will you in the future, lower your standards so that you can receive Social Security and Medicare?

I'd also like to suggest a more accurate pseudonym, since you are too chicken to use a real name: Socialism(except when it benefits me)Bad

January 26, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  13. nadine

Sgt Todd is the real hero! He's the one that took down the Ft Hood shooter. This woman knows she did not fire the gun and sit back & allow the media calling her the "Maverick"!

January 26, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  14. JES

Will her tax payer staff of 22 be there too.

January 26, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  15. Selma Crandall

Well Phooey, I was expecting to be her guest.

January 26, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |