January 27th, 2010

Avlon: Who are independents mad at?

(CNN) - There's been a lot of talk about populism this year, and there's no question that independent voters are angry about partisan politics as usual. But their anger is directed at special interests on the right and the left, big business and big government.

1. Lilarose in Oregon

Please don't bunch all independents into the same pile.

I am an independent for one reason only (and a liberal).

I want to keep the pollsters guessing what I plan to do.

They can't find me anymore since I left the Dems. But I am a Dem at heart.

January 27, 2010 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  2. File under "Sarcasm"

Wrong, they're not mad at big business, big banks and special interests, only the politicians who pander to them

January 27, 2010 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  3. ginger

I have been an independent for many years and vote for the person and not the party. Obama was elected by independents like me and I still support him. But I think he needs some more independents around him–not just the Geitners and the Emanuels who work in the old ways. Our country has lasted this long because of our middle class and neither extreme of the parties seem to realize or care about that.
    Pass financial reform now. I will campaign against every Senator who opposes true financial reform in my state or elsewhere.
    Go independents!

January 27, 2010 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  4. J.C. - Independent 4 Public Option

I am mad at special interests on the right and the left. They include big corporations and their lobbyists, and teachers unions for obstructing education reform. We are failing our kids. Who will pay for your social security and Medicare?

January 27, 2010 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  5. mavcal

After being a life long Democrat, it was during the primaries that I switched to being an Independent. All I have to say, is when is this guy going to get off the stage and step away from the camera and get behind a desk and start working instead of yapping incessantly? That's what this Independent is mad about. He leads by blabbering.

January 27, 2010 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  6. liz

It looks like independents are mad at whoever is in office whether they caused the problem or are trying to fix it. True independents who do have principles and vote for the candidate who represents those principles regardless of party affiliation are one thing. People who just go to the polls to vote against anyone in office should either educate themselves on the issues so they can make an informed decision, or just stay home! they are the kind that gave us Bush because even though Gore was vastly more qualified to be president, they voted for bush because they would like to have a beer with him! That kind of uninformed, stupid voting will be the downfall of this country!

January 27, 2010 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  7. who

we are mad at obama, reid and pelosi, as well as boxer, feinstein, schumer, lee,nelson, landrieu and a few others for their attitudes and stupid ideas. Time for them to leave in the next go round

January 27, 2010 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |