January 27th, 2010

Begala: McDonnell's rhetoric rings false

(CNN) – Gov. Bob McDonnell reads standard GOP talking points very well.

"We hate government, blah, blah, blah." Let's see him turn down the federal money that's keeping Virginia afloat. After he finishes attacking the government, McDonnell will go into a government limousine, with a government driver and ride to a government-provided mansion.

If he hates government so much why has he spent his life in it? Still, he's done a good job on a thankless task. No one should follow Barack Obama.

1. barney

Yeah – he gets in his government financed limousine. At least he's not spending MILLIONS of taxpayer money weekly to do nothing but CAMPAIGN. Obama did it in Massachussetts and now he'll be doing it weekly. So much for the spending freeze!

January 27, 2010 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  2. Steve

Well, he's from the party of "blah, blah" so that's whatcha get!

When you have no real solutions or ideas, there's not much else to turn to....

January 27, 2010 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  3. Thank you Massachusetts

Perhaps he spent his life in it to protect us from the follies of liberal Socialists....and I thank him for that!

January 27, 2010 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. Denise in Ohio

I agree Paul!

January 27, 2010 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  5. Charles C

Interesting how the Gov positioned two minorities in back of him within camera range. I guess he was reminding us what a big tent the Republican party is.

January 27, 2010 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  6. castingstones

Begala's rhetoric always ring false.

January 27, 2010 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  7. kauser mansori

If the republicans still donot sahpe up,shame on them.
    I am surprise the women in the party are so heartless.
    women are suppose to be more kind and loving.

January 27, 2010 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  8. Showtime - Tampa

Talk about rhetorical nonsense, BHO was full of it....

BHO calls for Earmark Reform – ONCE AGAIN, after he signed bills loaded with pork numerous times....

BHO calls for Bipartisanship after he states "I won"...

He is just all talk...."just words" – YES!

January 27, 2010 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  9. Robert Luciano

A ridiculous clown mouthing the predictable garbage. Loved the minority "props" in the background. Granted, the GOP has a whole lot of morons within their ranks, but pretending to be the Party of diversity is beyond laughable.

January 27, 2010 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  10. Gerald Pollak

Dear Mr. Begala and Mr. Castellanos: It has come to the point for me and many other Americans where I literally read right past your spins and go to the center, or at least an unbiased opinion. This is why I read Ms. Crowley's and Mr. Avlon's responses.
    Please stop insulting my intelligence.

North Haven CT

January 27, 2010 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  11. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I love Begala because he tells it exactly like it is and Americans need to think about what he's saying, it makes all the sense in the world.

January 27, 2010 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  12. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I'm ashamed he's my governor. If I could've voted, it wouldn't have been for him.

January 27, 2010 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  13. Alex from LA

Paul Beluga, please. Attacking?

January 27, 2010 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  14. Begala - That's the weakest argument I've heard in a while....

That's a pretty dumb observation. McDonnell hates that government is trying to push regulation on every aspect of American life.
    He loves America, and loves a SMALL government.
    My husband lost his job this year, and although we both agree that unemployment insurance has gotten out of hand, and is discouraging the growth of jobs. But guess what?? He was on unemployment insurance until it ran out! Why you say? If you don't believe in something why join it?? Because of the millions of ppl that have been enjoying our tax money for the past 20 years, we will enjoy it as well.... Do we wish that this insurance would get a grip and not become so out of hand?? YES. But we will take it if they are going to give it out. That's not hypocrisy. It’s only fair.

January 27, 2010 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  15. Centrist

Did Gov. McDonnel read or listen to Pres. Obama's speech before his response? The delivery seemed ok, but it did not appear to address the points from the president's speech.

January 27, 2010 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  16. Alex

Yeah, really. It seems as if the Republicans don't get the concept that if you go by the mantra "less government is better" it means you DON'T spend more.

January 27, 2010 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  17. isaac

These republicans are phony and hipocrite

January 27, 2010 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  18. Disgusted in MD

So instead of trying to be "objective" as a news reporting service, CNN felt that it made sense to publish something so obviously left leaning? Wow. I'm pretty much independent, but even this is a bit much

January 27, 2010 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  19. Dave in OH

Could that speech have been faker? Nice placement of minorities. They're really good at ending their clapping in unison too

January 27, 2010 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  20. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Hate is a reoccuring word...again people are sick of this !

January 27, 2010 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  21. Ohio Engineer

He didn't say he hated govenment. He said he disliked BIG, FEDERAL government. Government is best when small and local. That is what Republicans believe. But as a TOTAL spin doctor why would you think any different? I am an independent that voted for the President but, democrats like you make me wish I had not. Why don't you sit down, shutup and get a real job?

January 27, 2010 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  22. Steve Lyons

I was hoping to hear that Obama was changing course, but tonight he dashed that hope and refused to change.

January 27, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  23. Jennifer

I completely agree!!

January 27, 2010 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  24. obama the liar

Begala, the biggest hack in politics.

January 27, 2010 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  25. Blake

This analysis strikes me as being in the very vein of comments that Obama referenced TV pundits must end. There was very little analysis in your statements and did nothing but minimize an argument, an entire political philosophy, without any rebuttal.

..."The more that TV pundits reduce serious debates to silly arguments, big issues into sound bites, our citizens turn away.

No wonder there's so much cynicism out there. No wonder there's so much disappointment."...

Mr. Begala, you might choose to consider whether you should consider whether those comments apply to you.

January 27, 2010 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |