January 27th, 2010

Borger: Smart, but missing a piece

(CNN) – The speech was smart. The president spoke to independent voters about the awful culture of Washington.

He scolded Democrats for not behaving as a majority and Republicans for policy choices. He spoke about the context in which he came to office – and "the crisis" he inherited. He even took on the Supreme Court decision on campaign finance reform. The one missing piece: what he intends to do on healthcare.

1. Joan

How could he say exactly what he would do? The Congress and Senate have bills to merge and it is up to them. He is not a dictator. After tonight I hope the Republicans will be shamed into not continuing their strategy of NO and will work together for the good of your country. I just heard two journalists on the BBC say almost the same thing. They thought the speech was great and so do I.

January 27, 2010 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  2. Tracy Carpenter

I thought the speech was extremely articulate and passionate, the best S of U offering I have ever heard. It should resonate with main street.

January 27, 2010 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  3. liberal wingnut

Hes creating the awful culture blocking out bipartisanship and transparency.

Obama needs to go!!

January 27, 2010 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  4. LaVelle Jones

Cnn how low can you go, you are now going to call the president a liar going through fact check after check. Sorry i just switch to MSNBC because i think its awlful you think he is lieing in his speech, whoever heard of such. Shame on you CNN.

January 27, 2010 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  5. LaVelle Jones

Did you do fact checks on President Bush speeches?

January 27, 2010 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  6. annie against biased news

The president didn't speak to anyone – he just stood up there and told the same lies over and over and over and over.

January 27, 2010 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  7. idea

Gloria Borger are you a spokeperson for the republican party?

January 27, 2010 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  8. LaVelle Jones

Instead of saying how amazing, powerful, and strong Barack speech is, YOU have to find something wrong with it. I am so sick and tired of you and CNN, ever since he took office, you have been trying to bring him down. I bet this post wont show up on your blog. Then you get a bunch of people from gods know where calling them a "focus group. " Just pathetic, for one night i was hoping you would be different and let the president shine, but no you cannot. Shame on you CNN.

January 27, 2010 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. Bill in Dallas

Gloria I think you need your ears cleaned. The President said he was determined to pass Healthcare. What else does he need to say. You Washington people just try to pick fight. It pays your check. It doesn't impress me on how little you all in Washington really know. I guess you had to say something negative to shore up your GOP bonafides.

January 27, 2010 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  10. S. T. Spivey

WHAT THE PRESIDENT PANS TO DO ON HEALTHCARE!!!! WHAT DOES THE HOUSE AND SENATE PLAN TO DO????The President is not the problem here. You people in Congress are. If I had my way I would put all of you out of office and hope to find people who care about the country and not just about getting re-elected.

January 27, 2010 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  11. enough already

What is it with you? Do you think you can't be seen as objective unless you criticize the POTUS? Jeez, Borger.

January 27, 2010 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  12. change

What has changed is the arrogance since Mass was lost to them,

January 27, 2010 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  13. Aliou, Jacksonville, FL

Agree. I wanted to hear him support the single payer or public option. He dodged again. Now for the next weeks, we, the single payer supporters would go out there and get him and dems to do just that.
    He is still listening to republican tea parties rather than to those who voted for him.

It's like a man who is trying to marry a long time girl friend who is not in love with him: She is always finding an excuse to delay the wedding (IF you do xyz, when do xyz, if change to xyz, I would marry you). We all know she is looking for an excuse not to marry him. The more she changes to please her, the more she doesn't like his weakness and maliability.

The more obama change to suit republicans, the more they make demands on him and even despise him.

January 27, 2010 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  14. Steve Lyons

What is so moronic about Obama's campaign speech tonight is the HE is part of the problem. He voted in favor of the deficit spending when he actually voted in Congress. Until the democrats regained the majority in 2006 the deficits were getting smaller each year. Pleas fact check this with the GAO. Actual deficits decreased, AND in the first year under Obama the deficit was tripled compared to the worst deficit during the proceeding 8 years.

January 27, 2010 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  15. frankdozier

Health care reform could die. That is regrettable. However, unemployment is at 10%; under-employment could be as high as 20%. People who don't work cannot pay taxes, therefore the deficit will continue to rise. We need action to create jobs. The upcoming weeks will be a test of both sides of Washington to do what is right for the economy. We need to stop spitting useless words at each other and GET SOME STUFF DONE. (I didn't want to say 'stuff').

Let's get to work.

January 27, 2010 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  16. valwayne

Obama was arrogant, sarcastic, and boring. His contempt for the voters of MA was clear. He isn't listeing to any messages he's going full speed ahead. The corrupt spending, debt, and corrupt deals are going to continue.

January 27, 2010 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  17. Eisener

How is it what President Obama will do on health care???

Is it not what the bunches of Democrats and Republicans we all voted into office to work for us and deliver will do about health care. As far as I know they are the ones with the votes... No?

January 27, 2010 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  18. usualone

He was smart to avoid this subject under the current climate. There are other issues that also have to be addressed, since this topic has dominated his presidency to date. It certainly won't be forgotten.

January 27, 2010 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  19. Barry Claybaugh

As a lifelong Democrate that leans to the left, I am very proud of President Obama for addressing the problem of party politics that is taking place in Washington. Never in our history as a nation has it been so mean spirited. Both parties MUST start working together for the good of the people but also for the well fare of our nation. Tonight, I'm really proud that I voted for Mr. Obama. He and his team are really trying to get this country and citizens back on the right track. God bless him.

January 27, 2010 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  20. m smith

I wish you would make up your mind. One day it is drop health care the next mention it. You are statring to sound like fox news

January 28, 2010 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  21. Demian Barrett

Did you watch the speech? He was quite clear, he gave the ball to Congress with his endorsement. He took ownership of the health care proposal and bluntly told the Democrats to pass it and not run to the hills.

January 28, 2010 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  22. T'SAH from Virginia

"The one missing piece: what he intends to do on healthcare."

What I heard was he was leaving that up to the DEMOCRATS and REPUBLLICANTS and they better come back with something!!!

What else is he going to say and what did YOU want to hear!!! If NOTHING gets passed – you can blame BOTH SIDES!!!

January 28, 2010 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  23. n

Obama ruffled a lot a feathers tonight. I am an independent voter, and was glad to see someone stand up to the current machine. It is sad that the other side has to slam this speech (even some of his own party). What ever happened to, "you know, he makes a point about the people we serve, lets talk to this guy tomorrow and see if we can work something out."

more partisan tomorrow?

January 28, 2010 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  24. wakiya lewis

Have you not been listening? What he said about health care is that it must be passed. We are so close than we have ever been. Let's come together and pass this bill. Obama above all else said that "I don't quit".......I hope it does pass. There are alot of jobs these days that do not hire fulltime and deal with temporary angencies. Jobs that deal with these agencies are worried about the cost of health care they must pay to fulltime employees. I am all for the president of the united states and I hope he serves another term. He wants to bring change and I feel the fire in is determination.

January 28, 2010 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  25. vwrtb

How can a few republicans not be for a public option! Its insane...!

January 28, 2010 06:59 am at 6:59 am |