January 27th, 2010

Castellanos: The "I's" have it

(CNN) - The bad news is that this long speech had too many words. The good news is that many of them were "I." A long list of stuff will not change the narrative for this president tonight. I would have advised him to give a shorter speech about bigger things, instead of a longer one about smaller things.

And I wish he'd given a speech that implied some change of direction, something to prove he'd gotten the message the American people have been sending him. I didn't hear that tonight.

1. Skip Lannert

Early in last year's campaign, Castellanos seemed to be a fair, albeit conservative, commentator. Over time e has revealed himself to be a hyper partisan hack. Too bad.

January 27, 2010 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  2. historian

Castellanos missed the message – when he said he didn't that tonight he has selective hearing.

January 27, 2010 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  3. sameole

the great communicator.

January 27, 2010 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  4. Hammer

Oh shut up

January 27, 2010 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  5. Raj A

Change is coming in November 2010! I am an independent who voted for Obama. My family and I will donate time and money to the GOP to restore some balance to Washington.

January 27, 2010 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  6. Aliou, Jacksonville, FL

I wanted to hear the words "I would pass a strong public option healcare reform" from the president tonight. I didn't. I also wanted to hear the president say that he would attach incentive to hire workers to individuals, so each worker hired carried a specific incentive, and when he/she is laid off, she/he takes the stimulus with him.You fire the worker for good or bad reason, you pay back the incentive. So that money is actually just at your disposal to use so long as the worker works for you. That is one thing I wanted to propose to the president to solve the unemployment situation in our country.

January 27, 2010 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  7. Anonymous

how did you not hear a speech about new directions...that was most of the speech. Give me a break...does CNN actually pay you for your opinions?

January 27, 2010 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  8. Nat J

Oh, blow it out your butt, you whining, pompous, pusillanimous twit, about what you wanted to hear. Make hay while the sun shines, dude. It is the only agenda you subscribe to. It's always easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize. How about you and your obstructionist cronies in the GOP (with whom, lest you think otherwise, the nascent and newly vocal Independents are as equally fed up as they are with the Dems), come up with some other ideas. One year to unravel the biggest economic mess in recent history and you and your craven ilk engage in sophomoric skull-and-crossbones hijinks engineered simply to discredit and embarrass a sitting president at every possible turn. Talk about "unpatriotic." Funny how we don't hear about that anymore. Even "W" wasn't this abominably treated by the opposition.

January 27, 2010 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  9. Joan

This was a great, thoughtful, articulate speech. Unlike George Bush, Pres. Obama pronounced all of the words correctly. He makes all of the other politicians sound like sixth graders.

January 27, 2010 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  10. Nancy Newell

I think we need to hear the 'little things'. Most Americans, unfortunately, don't under stand the big things. That's why healthcare has such a time...to many working parts. We need to 'K.I.S.S...

January 27, 2010 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  11. kit

what i felt was the crux of his speech was; cnn, rush limbaugh, msnbc or what ever blog are not what we are as americians. we can't let the pundants such as yourself, speak for the americians that we are. President Obama spoke for the common person, not the corporate persona (as the supreme court just voted on). as for health care, again, he said we all know what is right, not politics, but what should be. President Obama is so in touch with the common person.

January 27, 2010 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  12. enough already

I hope no one is reading your comments expecting objective criticism. Clearly, you are one of the people he was specifically speaking of in reference to everyday being election day. Somethings never change. Some people never change.

January 27, 2010 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  13. mario ca.

Who trust you castellanos ? nobody

January 27, 2010 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  14. figures

Castellanos...Well clearly he isn't you and know we know what "You" would have done. Perhaps your critic should have less"I" in it as well. You should have said something like...".He should have" .We don't care what "You" would have done considering you aren't the POTUS., But your lack of anything positive to say is not shocking. The "I's" have for you too.

January 27, 2010 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  15. Louis Tirado

You didn't hear it because you weren't listening. An hour and ten minutes...and you still didn't get the message...you're the reason why this country is lost...you're too wrapped up in protecting yourself without regard for your neighbor...I'm sure you'll just bring up something about the budget...I'm sure you know that national budgets always run deficits...well except for that time Clinton was able to budget a surplus.

January 27, 2010 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  16. michael

Castellanos wishes Obama had resorted to some subtly racist attack ad.

January 27, 2010 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  17. Tom B

The other bad news is there a too many vowels in Castellanos... Castellanos also missed the point that distilling erything to a sound bite is hurtful for the country.

January 27, 2010 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  18. L T

I heard it, where were you? Take off the biased blinders.

January 28, 2010 02:35 am at 2:35 am |