January 27th, 2010

Castellanos: The "I's" have it

(CNN) - The bad news is that this long speech had too many words. The good news is that many of them were "I." A long list of stuff will not change the narrative for this president tonight. I would have advised him to give a shorter speech about bigger things, instead of a longer one about smaller things.

And I wish he'd given a speech that implied some change of direction, something to prove he'd gotten the message the American people have been sending him. I didn't hear that tonight.

1. Capt. Snarky

"And I wish he'd given a speech that implied some change of direction, something to prove he'd gotten the message the American people have been sending him."

_____________________________________

He's too arrogant to admit he's out of touch with the people

January 27, 2010 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  2. John Burns

The message is "GET STUFF DONE"

You may think the message was whatever reheated Reaganism you want to hear, but I heard Oregon, too. Populism, not conservatism, is the wave to ride. Surf's up.

January 27, 2010 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  3. Dane Bailey

The message was clear. Republicans need to stop castrating congress for their own benefit and detriment of the country.

January 27, 2010 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  4. Mohammed Mohammed

wow!! I am amazed. During the presidential election and the first state of the union and the first year you kept complaining that the president was too specific he did not go into details, the small stuff. Now that he goes into the small stuff instead of doing a broad stroke over issues, you are complaining that he was going into the small stuff and not focusing on the bigger broad strokes. I am just amazed lol. Hypocrisy at its best

January 27, 2010 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  5. Ruth

I thought this speach was brilliant. The republicans don't like because it hit them square in the face. The republicans have only one motive. That is to disagree with the president on everything. Sore losers–sour grapes.

January 27, 2010 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  6. Jo

What a liar Castellanos is!

January 27, 2010 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  7. audrey fryer

Maybe you shouldhave opened your ears – I heard lots.

January 27, 2010 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  8. Shandra

I heard it and I am an American on the fence. Maybe you didn't hear it because you didn't want to? Us Americans are tired of the fighting and waiting for some action and I hate to say it but the Republicans inaction and fighting against our President is starting to wear thin. When will you step up?

January 27, 2010 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  9. Tina

Castellanos you either weren't listening or are purposely misrepresenting what voters have been saying. The Mass election was about a Congress' failure to act. The American people don't want a stagnated Legislature and they don't want to see politics. They want practical solutions to the Economy which includes Jobs, Health Care Reform, and Economic Reform. That is precisely what the President focused on.

January 27, 2010 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  10. mark

I think YOUR just wrong. The American people have not been saying a whole lot, WE are drowned out by confusion and distortion.

Something must be done and I think President Obama has done what he should. Ask Congress to ACT. That is what Americans want along with confidence and understanding, but with the distortion going on, Americans will remain weary and the rest of the world will jettison onward in a UNIQUE era.
    Be specific if you got criticism, be specific.

January 27, 2010 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  11. Tired

I think what "we the people" want to hear is that both sides – Democrats AND Republicans will work TOGETHER to solve our nation's problems. Stop the name calling and get together!

January 27, 2010 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  12. Joe

your a joke, probably why Romney lost the nomination

January 27, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  13. Sharon Block

Sadly for all of us, Republicans will never, ever be able to put our citizens and our country first, ahead of their own political battle lines and campaign agenda.

As one Democratic member of Congress stated last year, if President Obama decided he wanted to eat a BLT sandwich, the GOP would go all out to ban the sale of bacon.

Nevertheless, I still have a lot of hope that President Obama will fullfil most, if not all of his campaign promises of 2008. As he said, he is not a quitter.

January 27, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  14. Marie MD

Alex, Alex, Alex, still the dreamer. I have lived long enough to know that it's really and truly the little things that matter. The big things tend to be taken care of immediately and quickly forgotten.
    President Obama campaigned for change. The rethugs are the ones standing in the way with no clear message from them.
    As the saying goes . . . ."lead, follow or get OUT OF THE WAY"!

January 27, 2010 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  15. GJ

With all due respect, if you did not hear that he got it, either you weren't listening or you had your partisan fingers in your partisan ears.

January 27, 2010 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  16. will

Wrong. Best speech for at least 4 decades.

January 27, 2010 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  17. Frederico

Wrong assessment of the speech. I completely disagree. It was specific and invited the American people to work together on a wide array of issues. We have new challenges, difficult ones, and I am tired of the media pundits who believe the American people are not able to grasp the importance of our times.

Journalists: It is time for you to manifest a better future as well.

January 27, 2010 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  18. Elly

the reaction of the republicans is EXACTLY what is wrong with washington
    Just for once why cant these parties be respectful even tho they differ
    Its just the same old same old and the same crap goes on
    Even tho the Presidents speach was a tad bit long I sensed he was sincere and hopeful about the future and as usual it was a wonderful heartfelt speech in my opinion

January 27, 2010 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  19. Kate

As a middle class American I thought Pres. Obama did a wonderful job tonight. He feels the pain of Americans. I was ashamed of the republicans sitting there and shaking their heads and saying snobby things and smirking while many Americans are needing help. REPUBLICANS ARE JUST NO NO NO NO all the way.

January 27, 2010 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  20. Barbara Independent in NY

Did you listen to the speech or were you only capable of counting the words? Enough with partisan criticism.

January 27, 2010 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  21. Thank you Massachusetts

More talk but that doesn't cut it.

January 27, 2010 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  22. Joanne Hodges

It looked to me that Republicans didn't hear much ....they were too busy sitting on their hands and pouting...I am tired of Congress acting like a bunch of babies...come on, this has got to stop. Respect for the President (Republican or Democrat) should be shown, and it is not. This disrespect for the Office is turning many Americans off to Politics. Quit campaigning for your office and get to work together. I have been voting for Presidents since President Kennedy and all I see lately is a Congress that doesn't do anything except badmouth each other, or appear on TV shows that incite hatred.

January 27, 2010 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  23. Kate

He done a wonderful job. He feels the pain of the American people. It was the best speech ever...

January 27, 2010 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  24. Eisener

I heard WE. I heard him speak to the people we elected, that they are failing us. And they are. Yes, President Obama did not go for slogans and cheap shots. He spoke of substance. Imagine that!

January 27, 2010 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  25. PNK

There are too many "Is" in this post

January 27, 2010 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |