January 27th, 2010

Clinton 'deeply resents' criticism of U.S. aid mission

Secretary of State Clinton said Tuesday that she 'deeply resents' of the U.S. aid mission in Haiti.

Washington (CNN) - The State Department said Tuesday afternoon it had been critical of some news organizations, including al Jazeera and CNN, for their coverage of the U.S. relief efforts in Haiti.

Earlier in the day Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she deeply resented some of the news reports on U.S. assistance to Haiti.

"I have absolutely no argument with anyone lodging a legitimate criticism against our country. I think we can learn from that. And we are foolish if we keep our head in the sand and pretend that we can't," Clinton told a town-hall meeting at the State Department, marking her one-year anniversary on the job.

"On the other hand, I deeply resent those who attack our country, the generosity of our people, and the leadership of our president in trying to respond to historically disastrous conditions after the earthquake. So what we're asking for is that people view us fairly," Clinton said.

Clinton did not single out any particular news agency, saying only "some of the international press either misunderstood or deliberately misconstrued what was a civilian and military response, both of them necessary in order to be able to deliver aid to the Haitians who desperately needed it."

Later her spokesman, P.J. Crowley, in his regular afternoon briefing at the State Department, mentioned both al Jazeera and CNN.

"We have had, I have had, direct conversations with our friends at al Jazeera for example," Crowley said. "We have spent sometime critiquing what we felt was unfair, unbalanced coverage of operations in Haiti. So we have those conversations when we think coverage is unfair. Occasionally we have had those conversations with CNN."

Pressed for more detail of State Department objections to CNN coverage, Crowley said "I'm done on this topic."

1. L Durham

I find it extremely interesting that in spite of her husband's appointment to Haiti, more than a week past the earthquake, he still had not shown up to show support.

There had also been reports that the US Navy ships were loaded with helicopters because they knew the ports would be impossible to dock at, and that helicopters would be the only viable method of transport, yet they just sat at their docks in America, 'waiting' to be called up. Why did they have to wait? Why could the ships not leave instantly filled with medivac supplies, OR equipment, water and medicine? Why, 2 weeks later, are those supplies still not being helicoptered in by the Americans? Our government – especially the Clinton's who are supposed to deal directly with this sort of response – is pathetic.

January 27, 2010 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  2. Lilarose in Oregon

CNN seems to be trashing everything going on in this country, from the Haiti situation to the president himself.

Why does CNN think that ONE MAN can solve all the problems of the world? Like that woman who called Larry King tonight asking how Obama was going to find her a JOB??????????

Why doesn't CNN really get on the case of the Republicans who sit on their behinds doing nothing??? Never a word.

I quit watching CNN's Sunday broadcasts since they are all spent trashing Obama. Trashing!

January 27, 2010 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  3. lou

I deeply resent Hillary on a government payroll using my tax dollars to run around the world opening her big mouth where no one really cares what she says.

January 27, 2010 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  4. Nea

Their will always be those who criticize (Secretary of State) Hillary Clinton no matter what, you just keep on doing your best, I really feel you and president Obama is doing a fine job. As long as you are doing the best you can do, thats really what matters! let the Haters hate thats what they do.

January 27, 2010 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  5. jmeteilers

CNN should be embarrassed and ashamed. CNN's rating have constantly slipped because of the quality of their news. This should be a warning.

January 27, 2010 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  6. S.B.

I do think the news media are just looking for things to criticize. In such a chaotic situation there are bound to be snafu's but I think there are also lots of good things happening. I don't think Fox does any "fair and balanced" reporting, but I would expect better from the other news organizations. I have noticed the last couple of days that about all I hear about are the problems which gives the impression nothing is being done right, and I'm sure that's just not true.

January 27, 2010 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  7. Mama Panda

If all of us, Ms. Clinton included, would spend more time talking about what's right and what's good instead of what's wrong and what's bad, we'd all be a lot happier - and more right and good things might actually be accomplished.

January 27, 2010 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  8. jamyers291

the answer is to move the UN from NY to Haiti to help develop the country.

NY could thn turn this prime real estate to tax paying use.

January 27, 2010 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  9. bear neault

I felt that the people of the us have went beyon their obligation in response to haiti I belive that $300 milion sent to r area is more than we can spare at this time

January 27, 2010 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  10. Azure

I will vote for this woman whenever she wants to run for Prez again, no matter if CNN wants to suppress this comment or not. If they do, it proves the shovenist attitude that i've suspected for a long time about not only this network but others. Why has Hillary Clinton been the most admired for so long in this country? People are smarter then liberal corruptness. Liberal attitudes that make sense are the only ones that don't fall for the '08 media blitz anymore. GROW UP CNN!~

January 27, 2010 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  11. Alex

Well, what was the coverage that she objected to? Does she have to spell it out or can CNN, this great bastion of our free press (ha!), maybe do a little research and background work instead of simply uncritically regurgitating official executive branch communications as you have been this past decade or so?!?!

January 27, 2010 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  12. T A

She should be president.

And it IS deplorable that extreme countries like Bolivia, Venezuela would think the US is there for any other reason than to help Haiti. Canadians are sending aid too, not because they want to "occupy" the country it's because they have the means to assist.

January 27, 2010 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  13. Guy Jackson

In New Orleans, after a week the media screamed at Bush, I believe they are giving the Obama failure in Haiti a pass.

January 27, 2010 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  14. Kevin

For the first time in my life, I agree with Hilary Clinton. Enough of the America-bashing. We're spending $100mm a day in Haiti and we don't deserve to be "critiqued" by anyone, least of all al Jeezera or the French.

January 27, 2010 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  15. Michael

Sec. Clinton is absolutely right in her criticism of CNN reporting. The world and Anderson Cooper forget that Haiti's infrastructure pre-earthquake was marginal at best. It is unreasonable to expect this poorly functioning government to possess what is necessary to deal with this devastation, with the rescue efforts, with disposal of the thousands of dead bodies as well as with all that is required to deliver healthcare to the victims of this tragedy.

Anderson Cooper shame on you for baiting the daughter of a missing US foreign service man. Attempting to squeeze out of her some harsh words directed toward the State Departments efforts or lack thereof is just plain nasty.

CNN should consider replacing AC 360 with Jerry Springer or Geraldo.

January 27, 2010 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  16. Monica Spies-Howell

I totally agree with Secretary of State Clinton, the people of the United States have always had a generous nature and to be criticized for it only proves that the other side is grossly misinformed and misguided. A truley sad idea that they live without compassion for humanity. God change their way of thinking.

January 27, 2010 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  17. Sammy James

Seriously? I'm surprised that anyone would take issue with CNN's coverage of the Haiti disaster. I have watched all three news cable networks in the U.S., and all three have had varying human interest reports.

Maybe some of the "negative" coverage, in particular on Fox, could be construed as bad press. But I haven't seen anything all that bad on CNN. I don't watch that much television either, so maybe I've missed the negative reports. Anyway, I like what I've seen so far.

Thanks.

January 27, 2010 03:23 am at 3:23 am |
  18. Manny

She is 100% correct. The United States has done a great job!!

January 27, 2010 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  19. GuamLovesHillary

Keep up the great work Hillary! I know not every person is going to agree with you, but most do. I agree with every fundamental perspective you speak on. It is what inspires many youth.

January 27, 2010 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  20. Ken, Centreville

So, CNN, here, is asking the State Department to give them 'more detail' on objections raised with CNN ?? Phew . . .

January 27, 2010 04:11 am at 4:11 am |
  21. De Anna

People in the US are funny. They love a sad story as long as it doesn't become too real to them personally and appear to be some kind threat whether real but more often imagined. Canada is fast tracking the adoption of Haitian orphans yet Americans are not. Americans want Hatians to stay in Haiti and that has been government policy over many presidencies. So there is some room for criticism. I sometimes think Americans live in a 'movie haze' where every sad story has to have a happy ending. They want to cry about what is sad and cry when the happy ending happens.Very unrealistic. When things get real all sense flies out the window because Americans are filled with fear and paranoia.

January 27, 2010 04:15 am at 4:15 am |
  22. Jon Rogers

I am not certain what the State Department's criticisms of the Haiti coverage by CNN are. I have been following the coverage closely on cnn.com and find the coverage to be wide-ranging, fair and unbiased.

January 27, 2010 04:39 am at 4:39 am |
  23. I TOOK THE ISTHMUS

Take comfort in these words Hilary:

"I took the isthmus, started the canal, and then left Congress - not to debate the canal, but to debate me. . . . While the debate goes on, the canal does too; and they are welcome to debate me as long as they wish, provided that we can go on with the canal."

Pay no heed to those nattering nabobs......

January 27, 2010 04:45 am at 4:45 am |
  24. evelyn

please give this administtration a break, everyone wants to do their share and let us stop pulling down those who wants to do something to help

January 27, 2010 04:57 am at 4:57 am |
  25. gale godfrey

america responded to Haiti's very fast. it was getting there that was the problem! when you have a small country that was destroyed . it is difficult to get help there fast. what is cnn's problem? they down president Obama on everything he does! lets start being positive about our president or risk losing the majority of your viewers!

January 27, 2010 05:50 am at 5:50 am |