January 27th, 2010

Crowley: Obama pitches to independents

(CNN) - President Obama took time tonight to talk bipartisanship – a pitch to independents (who decide elections and who hate, hate, hate partisan bickering). "I will not give up. I'm trying to change the tone of our politics." He scolds both the GOP and his own party. "We were sent here to serve our citizens not our ambitions."

1. Obama "pitches" alright!

WHAT did he actually say that changes anything?

January 27, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  2. Kathy

That's EXACTLY WHY I switched from being a Dem to being an Independent. I'M SICK & TIRED OF BEING AFFILIATED WITH EITHER SIDE OF THESE MORONS!!

January 27, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  3. will

Obama was amazing! Fantastic speech – and I'm a Republican.

January 27, 2010 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  4. Aliou, Jacksonville, FL

The president shouldn't fall into the trap of following republicans into their obstructionism as he did last year. It's time he took the lead on what to do for our nation, not let the tea party take the lead.

January 27, 2010 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  5. historian

I loved President Obama's speech. He's right – I hate partisan bickering – I also disliked the Republicans sitting it out with half of them not even paying attention, then leaving in a hurry to plan more ways to cause problems instead of ways to solve them.

January 27, 2010 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  6. Jeremiah

Wow, the dumbest line of the night. YOU are trying to change things? Every turn you take, you blame Bush and repubs for everything wrong in this country. What a liar.

January 27, 2010 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  7. so rich even obama couldn't hurt me but you middle class folk should worry

as a conservative republican I could not be happier with obamas speech tonight, this is right up there with Brown winning in mass! HE BOMBED!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2010 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  8. will

The rebuttal – What kind of staging was that? The only two people of color in the room – a black and an asian right behind him. The guy quoting scripture and going on like a televangelist.

January 27, 2010 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  9. mikl

Again bla-bla-bla.His record is perfect- he is wrong again. I whant my vote back. 2010-2012.

January 27, 2010 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  10. alwaysindepenent

He needs to practice what he preaches, all i have seen is far left liberalism and arrogance from this bunch.As I said in the other post, waitin on 2010 and 2012. Hope Landrieu, Nelson, Reid and Pelosi get ousted in their respective races also

January 27, 2010 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  11. Thank you Massachusetts

Amazing! Didn't he just spend almost the whole first year of his presidency trying to push a massive health care reform down our throats? Oh, yeah, it was Pelosi's idea. He acolds the GOP and members of his own party???? We'll see if the American people will be duped into believing this guy will start serving the people and let go of his own ambitions.

January 27, 2010 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  12. Thank you Massachusetts

Correction:
    Amazing! Didn't he just spend almost the whole first year of his presidency trying to push a massive health care reform down our throats? Oh, yeah, it was Pelosi's idea. He scolds the GOP and members of his own party???? We'll see if the American people will be duped into believing this guy will start serving the people and let go of his own ambitions.

January 27, 2010 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  13. barney

Sad to say, but the current condition in Washington reflects its current leadership. Risky move to scold BOTH parties, but necessary as part of his constant campaigning. Didn't hear a whole lot about the actual "State of the Union". . just another campaign speech. Too many Americans see through him now. . . .the sooner her recognizes that the American public as a whole does indeed have a brain, the sooner he can effectively lead. He can do it. . .but will he is the question. Seems we keep hearing "I", "I", "I" when it is promises or achievements. . .then turns to "we" when talking of shortcomings. For all of our sakes I pray he will learn to work for America rather than himself and his pride.

January 27, 2010 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  14. joyce

I believe that President Obama addressed all the issues that set before us. I tired of the fighting in Washington, and the disrespect that is given to this President.
    Do we want a change in American or are we wanting for the right person to be in office. It is time for all of us to pass the self interest group and get on with rebuilding American.

If you don't have a solution to get in the way of people who are trying to make a change. The Republican Party, they just sat there with attitudes, enought let us get about the business of helping this President rebuild American.

Yes , he is President Obama, not Obama!!!

January 27, 2010 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  15. Biased

If he is trying to change the tone, then when will he give a speech where he is not blaming Bush and when he talked about wanting ideas from both parties, what about the Republican congressman who is a doctor and has been sending Obama letters for almost a year now trying to get a meeting with him and he has been totally ignored and his letters have all gone unanswered?

January 27, 2010 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  16. steve anton

Those farts are wortthless. As if they have all the solutions. They can all go to hell and rot!

January 28, 2010 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  17. Kathy in MD

Candy continues to be probably the best political correspondent. I really feel that she is fair and balanced unlike others. Thank you Candy for being a TRUE reporter!

January 28, 2010 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  18. bob

He tries to project a bipartanship attitude but alienates the Republicans with his devisive comments. Bipartanship should have been included in the health bill but he employed lobbyists behind close doors. (What happened to transparency?) He says one thing but his actions are clearly in favor of big spending and higher taxes. Perhaps he and others will wake up in the 2010 elections when independents and moderates vote the "business as usual" ... the general American public are tired of the bickering from both sides. Here's hoping that Obama, Pelosi and Reid will open up for positive job growth, health care reform and real national defense against terrorism by inviting Republicans to the discussions.

January 28, 2010 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  19. Nea

Im not an Independent but i Hate bickering and partisan polictics too John Bohner ask Where are the Jobs but i ask Where are the solutions from their party since they wants to start criticizing again for polictical gain, Its time i mean pass time for both parties to come up with creditable solutions that will wrok! and Quit for the Love of GOD thinking about the me myself and how i and my party can get re-elected mentatility.

January 28, 2010 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  20. Preston kk

Pkm candy tell obama to stay tough keep the gop in control

January 28, 2010 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  21. Michael from Ventura

And he hit a grand slam.

January 28, 2010 01:45 am at 1:45 am |