January 27th, 2010

Crowley: Obama takes on SCOTUS

(CNN) – Wow. President Obama takes on the Supreme Court, which is seated in the front row. He dissed them for their decision on campaign finance spending.

1. File under "Sarcasm"

Is there anyone this man likes other than trial lawyers, Democrat politicians and union leaders? I don't think so. I'm going to have to look up persecution complex as it pertains to politicians.

January 27, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  2. Cathy

Good for him!

January 27, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  3. obama the liar

It seems when SCOTUS doesn't agree with the community organizer they are foolish. POOR BABY.

January 27, 2010 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

My favorite part of the speech.

January 27, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  5. Howard Muncy

I couldn't beleive it either. I thought it was needed though. However, I am afraid he will draw some partisan seperation of powers lectures and might even have it compared to FDR's ambitious attempts to control the courts.

January 27, 2010 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  6. Christine

I'm not sure I understand his comment about this being a 100 year old precedent. The Supreme Court ruled that a corporation is a person under the law and it was decided several years ago (with no complaint by the politicos) that similar caps on individual campaign contributions violate the First Amendment. They basically said that corporations need to be treated the same. It makes me very uncomfortable to have a sitting president criticize the Supreme Court for upholding free speech.

January 27, 2010 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  7. Wanda

Way to go Mr. President you are so right about this !

January 27, 2010 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  8. mark

Is that a FIRST, definitely deserved though.

January 27, 2010 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  9. kmp

That was classic loved it. And he is right whether left or right these corporations with unlimited purse strings could effectively buy any election and that is not good nor is it American.

January 27, 2010 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  10. Allan

Good for the President. I have yet to find an American citizen who is in favor of that decision. Thomas, Scalia and company screwed up royally.

January 27, 2010 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  11. Don

It's been 1 yr now and Obama still brought up the phrase the last 8 years. than 5 minutes later he say's he doesn't want to reiterate the past....

My son thinks Obama is a good leader ...it's the vault of the people working for him.

Myself I heard too much of blame game.
    I'm not interested in great speeches anymore. I want to see success..

January 27, 2010 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  12. Bert

Wow Candy, sharp political commentary

January 27, 2010 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  13. Marie MD

Best part of the speech. Those old fogies got exactly what they deserved. I am glad that Congress will try to reverse that dumb and completely un American decision.

January 27, 2010 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  14. whatsright

their decision what was right and fair.

January 27, 2010 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  15. Eisener

There is hope.

January 27, 2010 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  16. Raj A

This was a low blow and inconsistent with historic etiquette. I am sick of Obama's failed promises, and as a guy who voted for him, I will be supporting the GOP in 2010 and 2012.

January 27, 2010 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  17. Rob

Go Obama! Don't let the checks and balances weigh you down!

January 27, 2010 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  18. mikl

This was ugly. Shame on Obama to do it. Supreme Court -its simbol of USA, but not for Obama..

January 27, 2010 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  19. Darin Williams

What was with Alito... clenching jaw and shaking his head as he said that's not true....

January 27, 2010 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  20. Biased

I was surprised at that attack and thought it most unpresidential. Coming from a candidate who relied heavily on the largest unions in the country to support and get him elected and to this day, he gave them backroom deals on their cadillac health plan – seems a stretch to say that he is worried about European influnece on elections. But the attack was not necessary during this speech in my opinion.

January 27, 2010 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  21. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

They needed to hear that in the worse way. Their decision ( a 5-4 mind you) was completely unjustified. They seemingly failed to take into account the research that shows money corrupts elections.

January 27, 2010 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  22. Oregon calling

Thank you Mr. President for calling them out. @ 40++ hours a week only making $18,000 a year how was my voice to be heard? Thank you again.
    Caryle in Eugene

January 27, 2010 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  23. Andrew

As well he should. They may have lifetime appointments, and the final say on matters of constitutional law, but that does not put them above accountability. I was very pleased with what he said.

January 27, 2010 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  24. wally

He didn't diss the Supreme Court...he dissed the conservative Republican appointed members of the Supreme Court for their bow to political pressure to allow fat cat corporations to financially control our Congress. The four dissenting votes got it right. Thank God John McCain wasn't elected President...he didn't even stick up for his own McCain-Feingold Legislation. Hopefully he'll lose his seat.

January 28, 2010 12:31 am at 12:31 am |