January 27th, 2010

Ex-VP nominee splits from spouse

Ex-VP nominee splits from spouse.
Ex-VP nominee splits from spouse.

Washington (CNN) – The 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee, John Edwards, is legally separated from his wife, a source close to the family tells CNN.

Edwards, a former North Carolina senator who unsuccessfully sought his party's presidential nomination in 2004 and 2008, just last week acknowledged being the father of a baby born to his mistress Rielle Hunter. Edwards previously admitted to the affair, but denied paternity.

The source, who would not speak on the record because of the sensitivity of the situation, had spoken to Elizabeth Edwards in recent days.

News of the separation comes a week before a tell-all book by Andrew Young, a one-time close confidante of John Edwards, is set to hit bookstores.

People Magazine, a CNN sister organization, first reported the story. Elizabeth Edwards' sister, Nancy Anania, told People magazine in an article dated Wednesday that Elizabeth told her, "I've had it. I can't do this. I want my life back."

The sister told the magazine, "She's got cancer and has young children and totally believes in marriage ... but she can only do so much."

Update, 6:28 p.m., John Edwards has issued the following statement:

"It is an extraordinarily sad moment, but I love my children more than anything and still care deeply about Elizabeth.”

Update:The following statement was released by Elizabeth Edwards’s publisher Random House

"Elizabeth is moving on with her life and wants to put this difficult chapter behind her. It was an excrutiatingly (sic) painful period for her and she no interest in rehashing the past. Based on the limited portions of the book that have been made available, it is clear it contains many falsehoods and exaggerations. She will not engage in a dialogue on each of the false charges, but would like to set the record straight on two key points. First, the allegation that she sought to politicize her cancer is unconscionable, hurtful and patently false. Second, she believed Andrew Young to be the father of this child until her husband confessed his parternity (sic) to her this past summer. She will have nothing further to say."

Filed under: Elizabeth Edwards • John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. PJ

Does ANYBODY really care?

January 27, 2010 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  2. Marie in California

John Edwards is a sleaze-ball. Someone needs to put a padlock on his zipper.

Soooooo glad he didn't become president!

January 27, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

CNN, please set up a "Sensationalist and Salicious" column/place on your website for any reporting on John & Elizabeth Edwards, Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and all the other "I think I'm involved in politics but really aren't!" crowd. Last I knew, all of the above were not holding elected office.

January 27, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  4. Sarah

Um, doesn't her publisher have Spell Check? What the f?

January 27, 2010 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  5. John

Yet another marriage shatters?

So why do I hear 'family values' Republicans cheering so loud?

January 27, 2010 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  6. marcus

Edwards, what a scumbag.
    She should have left him last year.

January 27, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  7. Charlie in Maine

Good ideas do not make a great man. We dodged a bullet on this guy. As VP goes he is making Palin look good. What a lousy SOB.

January 27, 2010 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  8. Frank P

And this cheater and lier from the Democratic party wanted to become our VP and Pres!!! Absolutely incredible!!!

January 27, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. normajean

I hope the media will leave this dear woman alone and let her get on with her life. She has had to bear more than enough notoriety due to her publicity laden husband and more than most women would in a failed marraige. May she be blessed with some long needed peace and happiness.

January 27, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  10. Seawife

Elizabeth is the victim here.
    I never thought once that she policitized her sickness. this woman is a true trouper through and through. The way the media has pounced upon her is.,....in her words "unconsinable."

I wish her much happiness... after she leaves John. He is not worth the effort anymore to salvage her marriage.

January 27, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  11. Big Bad John

Republican or Democrat, it doesn't matter. "Dat South's Gonna Rise Again". Yee haw!

January 27, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. TOTUS 4 PRESIDENT

Two insufferable scumbags. (I'm sorry she has cancer, but that does not make one immune from being a scumaholic).

Now let us finally be rid of you both forever and ever, AMEN!

January 27, 2010 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  13. Bonnie

Tom Cruise will play him and Jeanette Garofulo (sp?) in the movie!

January 27, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  14. southerncousin

That is such a shame. These two fake liberal dreamboats sound like they were made for each other. Will this breakup get as much coverage from CNN as the Sanford break up. After all CNN was the last of the cable news to actually publish a story about Edwards and the baby. The were beat to it by the National Enquirer.

January 27, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  15. Average American

I'm praying for you Elizabeth. I hope your life will be more positive and peaceful now.

January 27, 2010 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  16. Texas52

Good for her! Sad it had to come to this but everyone has a breaking point.

January 27, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. Jerry

Now all the liberals will shun her, how dare she leave Bill , I mean what's his face John

January 27, 2010 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I thought Elizabeth wrote her "tell all" book first, what's up with her attorney's statement.

January 27, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  19. pojo

what about Mark Sanford??

He might be a great resource on these too... talk to him

January 27, 2010 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. SH in TX

Concentrate on your beautiful children and your health. Don't worry about that sleeze bag. He's put you through enough.

I can't think of anything more digusting than a man who cheats on his wife while she's fighting a deadly disease. How low can you go?

January 27, 2010 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  21. Dominican mama 4 Obama

"I've had it. I can't do this. I want my life back."
    --------------------------------

So I'll comment on something that is definitely none of my business: good for you Eilzabeth,

January 27, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  22. AJ

Elizabeth Edwards having nothing further to say? Is it Christmas?

January 27, 2010 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  23. Karen

Good for Mrs. Edwards.........she has enough to handle without a spoiled, whining, unfaithful, lying husband. She can do quite well without him. He is totally disgusting!

January 27, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  24. Rick McDaniel

Edwards needs to remove himself from politics. He is not deserving of political office.

Mrs. Edwards should have done this long ago.

January 27, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Mr. Bush left this terrible mess and during the last portion of his term there were little if any questions asked. Your reporting is bias, unprofessional and daily serves as a good example as to what is wrong with this country.What ever happen to journalism with integrity and objectivity.

January 27, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |