January 27th, 2010

Two 'purity' resolutions submitted at RNC meeting

Two 'purity' resolutions submitted at RNC meeting.
Two 'purity' resolutions submitted at RNC meeting.

Honolulu, Hawaii (CNN) - Conservative members of the Republican National Committee have submitted two different proposals at their Winter Meeting this week that would prevent party money from being given to GOP candidates who are deemed too moderate.

One of the measures – the so-called "purity resolution" that was first circulated in November and drew criticism from Republicans who want to broaden the party's appeal – would deny RNC support to candidates who fail to adhere to at least eight of 10 conservative principles.

A second, less-stringent proposal has also been submitted for consideration at the meeting, which began Wednesday at a beachfront resort in Honolulu.

The "accountability resolution," as its called, would allow RNC Chairman Michael Steele to "take into account the conservative bon fides of a candidate" before deciding whether to offer party support, said Jim Bopp, Jr., the Indiana committeeman and chief sponsor of both resolutions. Unlike the "purity" resolution, it does not include a strict ten-plank platform for candidates to abide by.

The newer measure would also require any Republican who switches parties or endorses a Democrat to return any money provided to them by the RNC.

The accountability resolution - without the stricter language and the demand on Steele to relinquish some measure of authority over party money - could be more palatable to the nearly 168 RNC members who will vote Friday on the language.

"The chairman thinks that he has to support all Republicans regardless of their views, and so we want to change that one way or another," Bopp told CNN. "We just want to come up with as many options as possible to accomplish our goal."

Bopp, one of 10 co-signers to each of the resolutions, said he is confident that one or both of the proposals will pass during Friday's general session.

"I think the situation is really fluid and a lot of people are taking about the need for accountability, and I am open to whatever will get the job done," Bopp said.

After a day of strategy meetings, RNC members will gather Wednesday to watch President Obama's first State of the Union address.

UPDATE: The purity resolution was dealt a serious blow on Wednesday when state party chairs voted to oppose the measure.

Filed under: RNC
  1. Rod

Holding their convention in Hawaii during the nation's worst recession...purity resolutions that demand conformity and sound like something from 1984...yes, this is today's Republican Party, the party that has learned so much since its 2008 thrashing.

January 27, 2010 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  2. Kat

"Purity?" So it's political "purity" rather than racial...what a bunch of nazis.

January 27, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  3. mommom

Scott Brown would have failed the test,its notable the resolutions are submitted after the election.

January 27, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  4. Too True For You

Here's a copy of the republican purity pledge:

I'm purely for mine and my parties big money backers
    I'm purely batsh*t against any Obama proposal, no matter what it is
    I purely believe party comes before country, every time, all the time
    I'm purely against anything of benefit to any class other than the upper
    I'm purely dedicated to self-serving spin, no matter how ridiculous
    I purely believe facts only hinder our version of the truth
    I believe in racial purity
    I purely support brainless nationalism: Let's tea party!! USA! USA!
    I purely believe ranking 37th in world health care means we're #1!
    I purely don't care about your senior citizens unless it's an election
    I purely think that unlike anything else capitalism needs no rules
    I purely believe science is stupid; the bible has all the answers
    I purely believe God is on our side, and hates everyone else
    I purely support gerrymandering, no one cares if we fix elections
    I purely support fiscal restraint only when democrats are in charge
    I purely support the idea that republicans never need be responsible

January 27, 2010 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  5. Charles W. Skinner

A conservative pledge and the requirement any Republican who switches parties or endorses a Democrat to return any money provided to them by the RNC would help avoid the fiasco that occurred in NY-23.

There, Scozzafava wouldn't have gotten the National Party Republican endorsement if this sort of a requirement had been in place, and she SURELY would not have tried to torpedo the Conservative candidate Hoffman, causing the loss of the seat. The RNC would have properly supported Hoffman, and he would have trounced Owens. As it was, as a 3rd party candidate with NO national party support, he was within half of the votes cast for Scozzafava.

January 27, 2010 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. Scott in Atlanta

Older White Men, Land owners, Ivey League educated, wealthy ancestry ONLY!!! All else need not apply.

January 27, 2010 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. andy

The creation of a master arian race of republicans is nescesary to continue our way of life. We will protect those opposed to our way of life and seperate them from the ruling majority for their protection.........Sounds like this has been said before.

January 27, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. Laurie

The RNC is pure something, but I won't say what.

January 27, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  9. mike

I think that would be great the purity of the republican party is the way
    to go it will be like the nazi movement all over again lets not have ideas
    to help our country but concord and divide and at the same time tell
    the uneducated fools that there going to have low taxes at there
    expense as they fight over the fast food jobs remember DON'T get sick
    or you will be out on the street we don't give healthcare to just anybody

January 27, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  10. Michael from Ventura

Sige Heil! What a party!!

January 27, 2010 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  11. sensible Cape Coral FL

May I offer two of my own resolutions?

1) Boiling oil for all malefactors

2) Burned at the stake like witches (I have no solution for the male
    members of the party since they are all -ALL – so pure

January 27, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  12. Pragmatic

Sad that to be "moderate" is considered by republicans to be a bad thing. Progress is accomplished by moderate people... not the radical right or left. A Greek philosopher praised "moderation in all things."

Fascinating, that with the republicans always claiming God to be on their side, they now have taken over His job of judging: The RNC ( + Rush & Glenn) now have the audacity to decide who is "pure" and who is not.

January 27, 2010 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  13. C. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Sounds like a book right from the Taliban and we know what they do to those who don't agree, off with their heads.

January 27, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  14. SV, NJ

Add following to RNC's purity/ virginity tests

"No public bathroom secks romps"

"No affairs with spouses of staffers"

"No exchange of explicit messages with Pages/Interns"

January 27, 2010 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |